From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU
Sent: 30 June 2021 22:14
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: [SDR-Radio] Severe storms at KA1GJU Superstations!

I have turned most of them off and disconnected the feedlines, CAT5, USB's for the time being.

Superstation #1 is still on the air and possibly KA1GJU@PCARC. Looks like will be down for a while until the line passes!

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU

Yes we are!
Just had VERY close strike just north of us (about 1/4 of second delay of BOOM), so far... no damage to my gear.
Luckily we have fiber optic to house, no stinking coax from street!

How's that Server Off-line for XXXXXXX  reason coding going? We spoke of it last year about alerting users that it's off the air due to maintenance, weather, etc.

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Michael.2E0IHW

Kriss, don't fall asleep :-)

We are due to get UK fibre-optic to the house. Obviously no future worry of surges
on overhead copper phone wires, but does exposure of glass-fibre  to close lightning strikes
give rise to any concern?

As our power lines are also overhead, I will continue to unplug the router psu
when Thor approaches.

Also:  unplugging the psu will disconnect  the fibre link to the ISP.
Will there be delay and/or reduced download data rate as the ISP
resyncs on reconnection?

Michael UK

On 30/06/2021 23:11, Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU wrote:

Just had VERY close strike just north of us (about 1/4 of second delay of BOOM), so far... no damage to my gear.
Luckily we have fiber optic to house, no stinking coax from street!

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Max

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 11:30 PM, Michael.2E0IHW wrote:
Also:  unplugging the psu will disconnect  the fibre link to the ISP.
Will there be delay and/or reduced download data rate as the ISP
resyncs on reconnection?

Michael UK

Hi Michael

As far as I know the whole "re-syncing" thing (I think you are referring to DLM or Dynamic Line Management as it's known here in the UK) only ever related to copper circuits and particularly those supplied by BT. Not all ISPs used it (TalkTalk for example I believe did not - I had a TalkTalk ADSL line at one point via Andrews and Arnold) and I never saw this behaviour.

Anyway, I digress. It only applies to ADSL (and VDSL - fibre to cabinet). No such equivalent exists or indeed is needed on a full fibre line. It will either work at full rate or zero i.e. usually a break in the fibre, as we did have once due to fallen tree on the lines. I have full fibre and it's either on (160 MB/s for me) or it's off. Regarding cables, certainly if you do request to retain your "normal" phone line, they install a fibre cable that also contains a copper circuit. I'm not 100% sure if mine does or not because we never requested to keep the copper (we use VOIP). I don't think it does because I think the "dual" cable is figure 8 with copper running down the side and ours is not. Although BT Open Reach who came to connect the service did not take away the old copper lines despite me asking them to....... "not our job.... different department"....... typical!

73

Max

Michael.2E0IHW

Thanks for the reply, Max. You confirm what I assumed.
We only have one fibre option : Airband.  They "plan"  to
connect us tomorrow... We will keep BT phone and VDSL
in parallel for a  while - until we are sure AB fibre is reliable.
We are exposed to  high winds, so I hope the overhead fibre knows that!

Michael

On 01/07/2021 09:28, Max wrote:

[...]

All servers are back on line. Please email if there are any problems.

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Max

On Thu, Jul 1, 2021 at 10:37 AM, Michael.2E0IHW wrote:
We will keep BT phone and VDSL
in parallel for a  while - until we are sure AB fibre is reliable.
We are exposed to  high winds, so I hope the overhead fibre knows that!

Well done Kriss. Glad you are back online.

Michael, I would not bother keeping the VDSL or the copper (unless you need a backup phone and have no mobile coverage). I am in remote exposed location on the Sussex Weald, and all fibre is strung overhead on the regular poles. We get 50+ mph winds regularly in the winter, and fibre not missed a beat until a tree went over on it, but that took the copper out as well so backup would have been no good either! I do run separate 4G network for my IOT as I am paranoid. Thank goodness we were always too far from the exchange for VDSL so we don't have any awful VDSL hash problems on HF that seem to afflict about 90% of the UK. For once we were extremely glad that we were too far from the exchange on all counts, otherwise we would be stuck with VDSL at about 10 Mb/s, but we did have to wait about 5 years for FTTP after we moved here!

Max