SABR Micro, DAB+, 3D

New SDR receiving DAB+, SDR not yet available.

SDR Console 2021-06-29 21h 04m 15s.mp4 (dropbox.com)

Gisle Vanem

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 07:09 AM, Simon Brown wrote:

receiving DAB+

Does this mean you're working on a DAB+ decoder too?
Porting Welle-IO into SDR Console?

I want to write a DAB+ decoder for my own use. Welle.io is not bad but uses a lot of CPU and I don’t think it drives my Airspy R2 correctly.

The big issue with DAB+ is licencing the audio codec, I’m sure that shipping a DAB+ decoder with codec would land me in a very deep and sticky legal mess. I know two groups with close ties to the AAC owners, so if I do indeed write a DAB+ decoder I know who to talk with re: licencing.

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 07:09 AM, Simon Brown wrote:

receiving DAB+

Does this mean you're working on a DAB+ decoder too?
Porting Welle-IO into SDR Console?

Gisle Vanem

Edited

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 08:22 AM, Simon Brown wrote:

Welle.io is not bad but uses a lot of CPU and I don’t think it drives my Airspy R2 correctly.

It depends. If it is built to use FFTW, then yes. The CPU-load in my case is around 17%.
But if I build Welle-IO using Kiss-FFT and compiled using fast-calls (option -Gr), then the CPU drops to only 10%.

Edit: the Airspy problem is proably related to how Welle-IO handles SoapySDR. Not very good IMHO.

Simon Brown

I’m just running the Windows kit, haven’t built it or even looked at the code.

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 08:22 AM, Simon Brown wrote:

Welle.io is not bad but uses a lot of CPU and I don’t think it drives my Airspy R2 correctly.

It depends. If it is built to use FFTW, then yes. The CPU-load in my case is around 17%.
But if I build Welle-IO using Kiss-FFT and compiled using fast-calls (option -Gr), then the CPU drops to only 10%.

Edit: the Airspy problem is proably related to how Welle-IO handles SoapySDR. Not very good IMHO.

look for qt dab ... soft from jan

https://github.com/JvanKatwijk/qt-dab

lots of hardware included (rtl dongle, sdrplay, lime, pluto etc etc) ... he even works on receive via dab and retransmit on analog fm stereo (if you use a pluto) ... then you can receive your favourite dab station on any normal fm radio in your house (retransmitting not finished yet)

jan is now on holiday but will be back in a few weeks (mid of july?!?)

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 30.06.2021 um 10:18 schrieb Simon Brown:

I’m just running the Windows kit, haven’t built it or even looked at the code.

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 08:22 AM, Simon Brown wrote:

Welle.io is not bad but uses a lot of CPU and I don’t think it drives my Airspy R2 correctly.

It depends. If it is built to use FFTW, then yes. The CPU-load in my case is around 17%.
But if I build Welle-IO using Kiss-FFT and compiled using fast-calls (option -Gr), then the CPU drops to only 10%.

Edit: the Airspy problem is proably related to how Welle-IO handles SoapySDR. Not very good IMHO.

But,

Software like this needs an AAC licence even if it’s free. I think I will have to pay $1,000 one-off, then 98 cents per user to add AAC.

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 08:22 AM, Simon Brown wrote:

Welle.io is not bad but uses a lot of CPU and I don’t think it drives my Airspy R2 correctly.

It depends. If it is built to use FFTW, then yes. The CPU-load in my case is around 17%.
But if I build Welle-IO using Kiss-FFT and compiled using fast-calls (option -Gr), then the CPU drops to only 10%.

Edit: the Airspy problem is proably related to how Welle-IO handles SoapySDR. Not very good IMHO.

Ah,

QT-DAB does work, drives the Airspy correctly. My birthday present from me to me in October will be my own DAB+ receiver app 😊 .

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 08:22 AM, Simon Brown wrote:

Welle.io is not bad but uses a lot of CPU and I don’t think it drives my Airspy R2 correctly.

It depends. If it is built to use FFTW, then yes. The CPU-load in my case is around 17%.
But if I build Welle-IO using Kiss-FFT and compiled using fast-calls (option -Gr), then the CPU drops to only 10%.

Edit: the Airspy problem is proably related to how Welle-IO handles SoapySDR. Not very good IMHO.

i do not know if and how jan licensed his soft ...

if you would have to pay 1 euro per user ... then the user should pay it (or it will be a very expensive hobby for you hi hi)

means you build your soft without the dab decoder and if a user wants that dab decode he can buy a plugin for a euro?!?!

i do not know if it is possible to "split" that in half (means give your sdr console for free but have a paid plugin)

greetz sigi

Am 30.06.2021 um 13:18 schrieb Simon Brown:

But,

Software like this needs an AAC licence even if it’s free. I think I will have to pay $1,000 one-off, then 98 cents per user to add AAC.

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 08:22 AM, Simon Brown wrote:

Welle.io is not bad but uses a lot of CPU and I don’t think it drives my Airspy R2 correctly.

It depends. If it is built to use FFTW, then yes. The CPU-load in my case is around 17%.
But if I build Welle-IO using Kiss-FFT and compiled using fast-calls (option -Gr), then the CPU drops to only 10%.

Edit: the Airspy problem is proably related to how Welle-IO handles SoapySDR. Not very good IMHO.

could you include that in console?? or will it be an extra app like qt dab?!?

Am 30.06.2021 um 13:29 schrieb Simon Brown:

Ah,

QT-DAB does work, drives the Airspy correctly. My birthday present from me to me in October will be my own DAB+ receiver app 😊 .

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 08:22 AM, Simon Brown wrote:

Welle.io is not bad but uses a lot of CPU and I don’t think it drives my Airspy R2 correctly.

It depends. If it is built to use FFTW, then yes. The CPU-load in my case is around 17%.
But if I build Welle-IO using Kiss-FFT and compiled using fast-calls (option -Gr), then the CPU drops to only 10%.

Edit: the Airspy problem is proably related to how Welle-IO handles SoapySDR. Not very good IMHO.

Probably I’ll develop as a plug-in as I have the radio interface available. Once working I could then make it a standalone program but that’s quite a lot of work.

One reason for DAB+ is I then have the classes available for future work, also I can listen to Jazz FM (UK) and also play DAB+ when we get good Tropo.

Currently using a nice 100 to 600MHz log periodic, am only ~8 km from the transmitter.

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 08:22 AM, Simon Brown wrote:

Welle.io is not bad but uses a lot of CPU and I don’t think it drives my Airspy R2 correctly.

It depends. If it is built to use FFTW, then yes. The CPU-load in my case is around 17%.
But if I build Welle-IO using Kiss-FFT and compiled using fast-calls (option -Gr), then the CPU drops to only 10%.

Edit: the Airspy problem is proably related to how Welle-IO handles SoapySDR. Not very good IMHO.

I can offer a 30-day trial (AAC licence allows this). I would have to incorporate a ‘Pay to Play’ option somehow. Licencing software is a total PITA .

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 08:22 AM, Simon Brown wrote:

Welle.io is not bad but uses a lot of CPU and I don’t think it drives my Airspy R2 correctly.

It depends. If it is built to use FFTW, then yes. The CPU-load in my case is around 17%.
But if I build Welle-IO using Kiss-FFT and compiled using fast-calls (option -Gr), then the CPU drops to only 10%.

Edit: the Airspy problem is proably related to how Welle-IO handles SoapySDR. Not very good IMHO.

only 8km away ?? then you do not need a big antenna like your lopper (but seems to be a good wideband solution)

a paperclip poked in an rtl dongle should work (for your local receive)

for dab"dx" you need a good vhf yagi for around 200 megs but you sure know that

... while talking about antennas ... is your feed mounted ?!? (pulling your leg a bit)

greetz sigi

Am 30.06.2021 um 13:44 schrieb Simon Brown:

Probably I’ll develop as a plug-in as I have the radio interface available. Once working I could then make it a standalone program but that’s quite a lot of work.

One reason for DAB+ is I then have the classes available for future work, also I can listen to Jazz FM (UK) and also play DAB+ when we get good Tropo.

Currently using a nice 100 to 600MHz log periodic, am only ~8 km from the transmitter.

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 08:22 AM, Simon Brown wrote:

Welle.io is not bad but uses a lot of CPU and I don’t think it drives my Airspy R2 correctly.

It depends. If it is built to use FFTW, then yes. The CPU-load in my case is around 17%.
But if I build Welle-IO using Kiss-FFT and compiled using fast-calls (option -Gr), then the CPU drops to only 10%.

Edit: the Airspy problem is proably related to how Welle-IO handles SoapySDR. Not very good IMHO.

included in console would be fine ... so you do not need to swap software depending if you want to listen to fm or to dab

[...]

hmm ... i think a "paid" download link for the plugin could be a solution .. if user does not want dab he can use the free console .. and if he needs that plugin he has to pay that one euro via paypal

copy of that plugin could be solved with each console having an own serial number (and that is asked from the paid download link)

if a user changes pc he has to pay another euro (serial number should be marriaged also to the pc hardware)

if it would be just one euro ... ok i would pay it ... (or two?!? so you have one euro dog-food added?!?)

greetz sigi

Am 30.06.2021 um 13:45 schrieb Simon Brown:

Hi,

I can offer a 30-day trial (AAC licence allows this). I would have to incorporate a ‘Pay to Play’ option somehow. Licencing software is a total PITA .

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 08:22 AM, Simon Brown wrote:

Welle.io is not bad but uses a lot of CPU and I don’t think it drives my Airspy R2 correctly.

It depends. If it is built to use FFTW, then yes. The CPU-load in my case is around 17%.
But if I build Welle-IO using Kiss-FFT and compiled using fast-calls (option -Gr), then the CPU drops to only 10%.

Edit: the Airspy problem is proably related to how Welle-IO handles SoapySDR. Not very good IMHO.

The antenna is the smaller log periodic.

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 08:22 AM, Simon Brown wrote:

Welle.io is not bad but uses a lot of CPU and I don’t think it drives my Airspy R2 correctly.

It depends. If it is built to use FFTW, then yes. The CPU-load in my case is around 17%.
But if I build Welle-IO using Kiss-FFT and compiled using fast-calls (option -Gr), then the CPU drops to only 10%.

Edit: the Airspy problem is proably related to how Welle-IO handles SoapySDR. Not very good IMHO.

BobS

While dealing with AAC licensing would be tedious, having it as a plug-in also means that you don't have to worry about licensing DAB/DAB+ to users for whom it's useless, like those who in the United States of America and Canada.

From my perspective, having the converse (decoding IBOC) would be great to have in SDR Console. But that too is protected by patents and licensing, and you'd either have to work from WAV files or take a working vacation to North America. When I want to listen to HD-Radio (the not-accurate, but marketing name), I just use the NRSC5 software. I would guess it too violates the patents and licensing, but it's user base is most likely so small that it goes under-the-radar.

Or you could have a technically legal, but slimy solution like Audacity does for MP3 and AAC. They link to plug-ins that are on a server that's located in Brazil, which doesn't honor patent law.

Nonetheless, that's a cool long periodic antenna!

Bob, W4RLS

When it comes to licencing I prefer to be squeaky clean. AAC patents lapse in ~ 6 years in Europe I think. I have a $1k up-front cost, then $1 / user. I doubt there would be enough interest to cover the $1k but first I have to write the DAB code.

As for Audacity and other DAB+ programs, just exposing the AAC interface is a sin, so everyone who ships and/or just hosts a DAB+ plugin is liable for AAC licence fees. The fact that you have to grab a AAC plugin from somewhere dodgy is immaterial.

There are a couple of small companies which examine software such as mine looking for infringements, I own my own house and plan to keep it that way 😊 .

While dealing with AAC licensing would be tedious, having it as a plug-in also means that you don't have to worry about licensing DAB/DAB+ to users for whom it's useless, like those who in the United States of America and Canada.

From my perspective, having the converse (decoding IBOC) would be great to have in SDR Console. But that too is protected by patents and licensing, and you'd either have to work from WAV files or take a working vacation to North America. When I want to listen to HD-Radio (the not-accurate, but marketing name), I just use the NRSC5 software. I would guess it too violates the patents and licensing, but it's user base is most likely so small that it goes under-the-radar.

Or you could have a technically legal, but slimy solution like Audacity does for MP3 and AAC. They link to plug-ins that are on a server that's located in Brazil, which doesn't honor patent law.

Nonetheless, that's a cool long periodic antenna!

Bob, W4RLS

not on a rotator?? fixed on the chimney??

you should make it turnable (put ontop the other yagi) ... or replace it with a bigger longer one only for the dab area (and also on a rotator)

i guess you should get more from it if you can turn it

greetz sigi

Am 30.06.2021 um 14:30 schrieb Simon Brown:

Hi,

The antenna is the smaller log periodic.

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 08:22 AM, Simon Brown wrote:

Welle.io is not bad but uses a lot of CPU and I don’t think it drives my Airspy R2 correctly.

It depends. If it is built to use FFTW, then yes. The CPU-load in my case is around 17%.
But if I build Welle-IO using Kiss-FFT and compiled using fast-calls (option -Gr), then the CPU drops to only 10%.

Edit: the Airspy problem is proably related to how Welle-IO handles SoapySDR. Not very good IMHO.

First I must write the DAB decoder, then I’ll think about rotating. My local DAB site is Redruth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redruth_transmitting_station#Digital_radio_(DAB)