WinRadio for at least 15 MHz Instantaneous B/W

jdow

Sideband noise. In principle as a term that would include both amplitude and phase noise and be measured in a "USB/LSB:" style with one side band at a time.

{^_^}

On 20210521 11:31:54, Guy Atkins wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Here is an English translation of a RX-888 test which appeared in FUNK Amateur magazine a few months ago.

Some of the test parameters seem non-standard, but more knowledgeable radio hobbyists than myself can decide if the author's methods and conclusions are worthwhile or not. For instance, on page #6 you'll see results of "Side Bath Noise". Clearly, something is lost in translation. Could this refer to phase noise measurements? A figure like "-135dBm/Hz" @1 kHz makes me think so.

73, Guy

Guy Atkins

Edited

Here is an English translation of a RX-888 test which appeared in FUNK Amateur magazine a few months ago.

Some of the test parameters seem non-standard, but more knowledgeable radio hobbyists than myself can decide if the author's methods and conclusions are worthwhile or not. For instance, on page #6 you'll see results of "Side Bath Noise". Clearly, something is lost in translation. Could this refer to phase noise measurements? A figure like "-135dBm/Hz" @1 kHz makes me think so.

73, Guy

Guy Atkins

My apologies, I mistyped. I meant to say the RX-888 performed better than the FDM-Duor and FDM-S2 (not S3!) for overload resistance when DXing the MW band. Both of those radios along with the RSPdx cannot handle the MW band from a Wellbrook ALA1530LNP Imperium. I live near Seattle USA with a lot of strong medium wave stations. I can run the RX-888 with normal gain, but the others need so much attenuation as to render those radios fairly insensitive.

Regarding alias-free bandwidth, I've never investigated the RX-888 closely for phantom signals when experimenting with the full HF bandwidth at once. I'm not interested in LF or upper HF, so if there's false signals at the edges it doesn't matter to me. However, a very wide 32 MHz coverage is only a curiosity to me; I normally use either 2 MHz sampling rate to capture and record MW only, or sometimes the 8 MHz rate to also include the tropical bands and up to 41 meters.

I happen to have a G33DDC arriving today, and expect that the RX-888 with start to gather dust  :^)

michel soldevila

On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 02:11 AM, Guy Atkins wrote:
the RX-888 provides 32 MHz demodulated bandwidth
OK Guy, but what about the alias free bandwith ? My RSP-2 has a 10MHz demodulated bandwith, bur is not usable using this bandwith.
Michel

Jim Smith G0OFE

Would be interesting to see lab tests on the RX888 front end.

Far better than the Duo or S3?   Really?

================================
Need help with SDR Console? If you have a problem:
Go to https://www.sdr-radio.com/support
Please follow instructions in that link.
===================================
Jim, Bournemouth, Dorset. IO90BR.

On 21/05/2021 00:11, Guy Atkins wrote:
It's not a WinRadio, but the RX-888 provides 32 MHz demodulated bandwidth (or less, your choice). At less than $200 it's an attractive option; mine installed easily and has worked flawlessly. It has a very robust front end, too-- FAR better than the FDM-Duor, FDM-S3, and RSPdx that I've compared it to.

The RX-888 is a "cottage industry"/one-man-band product and doesn't have the support of a full fledge company like WinRadio, but at it's price it has amazing value. Works gangbusters with SDR-Console too! (Thank you, Simon!)

I don't have a need for any bandwidth greater than 2 MHz, but in tests with my "budget" gaming laptop I've done 32 MHz demod AND recording IQ WAV files simultaneously to an external HD without hiccups or slowdowns.

Guy Atkins

It's not a WinRadio, but the RX-888 provides 32 MHz demodulated bandwidth (or less, your choice). At less than $200 it's an attractive option; mine installed easily and has worked flawlessly. It has a very robust front end, too-- FAR better than the FDM-Duor, FDM-S3, and RSPdx that I've compared it to.

The RX-888 is a "cottage industry"/one-man-band product and doesn't have the support of a full fledge company like WinRadio, but at it's price it has amazing value. Works gangbusters with SDR-Console too! (Thank you, Simon!)

I don't have a need for any bandwidth greater than 2 MHz, but in tests with my "budget" gaming laptop I've done 32 MHz demod AND recording IQ WAV files simultaneously to an external HD without hiccups or slowdowns.

michel soldevila

Hello guys,
You were talking about usable (alias free) bandwith of high end SDR's. I would very much like to know this characteristic for more affordable rigs (SDR Play, etc.).
Any info available ?
Michel, F1GOC

Larry Dodd

Know what you mean,   I have an S3 also and love it.  But if something super comes along it would be hard to resist. The Sigma may still be a possibility.  $10k would be a stretch for me.
73
Larry, K4LED

On 5/18/2021 6:16:35 AM, Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:

Yes,

There’s the mass market for hams / SWLs and the pro SIGINT / Military market. New, better, cheaper ADCs are being developed all the time, it’s really a question whether the new high-end designs are available for enthusiasts.

The main thing I’m looking forward to this year is the ELAD S3 downconverter, otherwise I have all I want.