Keeping Tuned Freq in Center

Gedas

I am not sure if I saw this option or not but where can I enable the tuned frequency to remain (display) in the middle of the pan display as I tune around with the mouse scroll wheel? I have looked in the options window several times but keep missing it. TU

Gedas, W8BYA EN70JT

Gallery at http://w8bya.com (under repair)
Light travels faster than sound....

joe_word

I have the same question and do not see an answer. I know I can click on >|< and will put the frequency back in the middle, but do not see a parameter that will make it stay there.

Joe  N9VX

Max

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 09:25 PM, Gedas wrote:
I am not sure if I saw this option or not but where can I enable the tuned frequency to remain (display) in the middle of the pan display as I tune around with the mouse scroll wheel? I have looked in the options window several times but keep missing it. TU
I don't believe that this is an option, at the moment anyway. Seem to remember it was discussed recently but cannot the relevant post. Had a vague recollection that Simon said he would look at it sometime?

As a sort of workaround, with "Auto-Center" box ticked in the "View" tab, a brief touch of the zoom control will re-centre the display.

Max

Siegfried Jackstien

I would try to AVOID centre...
Dg9bfc sigi

Am 17.09.2021 01:03 schrieb Max <radiomax@...>:

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 09:25 PM, Gedas wrote:
I am not sure if I saw this option or not but where can I enable the tuned frequency to remain (display) in the middle of the pan display as I tune around with the mouse scroll wheel? I have looked in the options window several times but keep missing it. TU
I don't believe that this is an option, at the moment anyway. Seem to remember it was discussed recently but cannot the relevant post. Had a vague recollection that Simon said he would look at it sometime?

As a sort of workaround, with "Auto-Center" box ticked in the "View" tab, a brief touch of the zoom control will re-centre the display.

Max

Gedas

But I like the center.

On 9/16/2021 7:50 PM, Siegfried Jackstien wrote:

I would try to AVOID centre...
Dg9bfc sigi

Am 17.09.2021 01:03 schrieb Max <radiomax@...>:
On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 09:25 PM, Gedas wrote:
I am not sure if I saw this option or not but where can I enable the tuned frequency to remain (display) in the middle of the pan display as I tune around with the mouse scroll wheel? I have looked in the options window several times but keep missing it. TU
I don't believe that this is an option, at the moment anyway. Seem to remember it was discussed recently but cannot the relevant post. Had a vague recollection that Simon said he would look at it sometime?

As a sort of workaround, with "Auto-Center" box ticked in the "View" tab, a brief touch of the zoom control will re-centre the display.

Max

Alan G4ZFQ

On 17/09/2021 02:55, Gedas wrote:
But I like the center.
Gedas,

On 9/16/2021 7:50 PM, Siegfried Jackstien wrote:
I would try to AVOID centre...
With many SDRs the local oscillator is at the centre of the display.
Depending on the exact SDR and mode tuning to the centre may have no effect, a slight effect or even ruin reception/transmission.
That is why it is generally recommended to avoid the centre.

Alan

Gedas

Interesting Alan. It is just personal preference and in the case of my RSPdx and Console once I hit the center button I do not notice any difference in the detected signals characteristics. Given that if I had a choice I would like to see all my tuned signals in the center.

On 9/17/2021 7:02 AM, Alan G4ZFQ wrote:

On 17/09/2021 02:55, Gedas wrote:
But I like the center.

Gedas,

On 9/16/2021 7:50 PM, Siegfried Jackstien wrote:
I would try to AVOID centre...

With many SDRs the local oscillator is at the centre of the display.
Depending on the exact SDR and mode tuning to the centre  may have no effect, a slight effect or even ruin reception/transmission.
That is why it is generally recommended to avoid the centre.

Alan

Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU

   For a realistic display of **DC Offset, connect to one of my servers that has an SDR-iq… KA1GJU Super Stations #1,2,4 and KA1GJU @ PCARC if you know how to load a server into your definitions.
   Select the max bandwidth, 192 kHz and start it. Takes about 8 seconds, but once started tune to a quiet band where no signals are present and look at the signal in the center. Now re-center display with a right click on either side at a good distance from it and watch what happens. It’s always centered! SDRC will reduce it over time, but it remains. Disconnect from the radio and connect again at the minimum bandwidth choice and repeat. SDRC will do a good job of completely removing it.

   If I operate the SDR-iq locally, it’s not as pronounced and SDRC removes it completely over time. Not all SDR’s behave this way, but this anomaly is only when I operate via my servers (99% of time), not when using the SDR-iq locally. I have brought this to Simon’s attention over a year ago, but I just live with it and listen to signals on either side on center just fine.

** The DC offset is the difference between the ADC's "middle" voltage and the average voltage present at the ADC's input. The analog circuitry in the SDR will contain biasing circuitry designed to minimize the DC offset.

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Simon Brown

FWIW if you want center tuning display the receive pane and watch a signal there.

On Sat, Sep 18, 2021 at 06:21 AM, Simon Brown wrote:

FWIW if you want center tuning display the receive pane and watch a signal there.

That's a very useful steer Simon. Had never given this any thought as I hardly use RX window in my normal day to day usage, but it seems exactly what Gedas and Joe need.

Out of interest, why is it possible to have this behaviour on the RX window and not in the main window? How feasible would it be to add this behaviour to the master display as a tick box enable/disable option? I do note it's slightly different to the current "centre window" option which I would not want to lose, but as an additional option it might be quite nice? FWIW my usual receivers do not display a centre "spike" so it would be quite usable for me and I assume therefore many others.

Max

sm6fhz

Hi all.

I am in the opposite need.
I use the Rx-matrix for displaying and monitoring different sub-bands on VHF/UHF etc. like one Rx for the CW part, one Rx for the SSB part one Rx for the beacon part etc.
I would like to "lock" each receivers band in frequency and be able to move the active Rx within this set band without that it changes i.e. I can still monitor the wanted band for other interesting signals while listening to one particular station.
The reason for using the Rx-matrix is resolution. I get better resolution this way than looking at the main Rx-window where different CW-signals tend to group together and not possible to resolve and see if a new one appeared.

Is it possible today? I have not been able to find a function like that.
If not possible toady, can it be made as a checkbox or similar?

73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

jdow

On 20210918 04:20:59, Max wrote:
On Sat, Sep 18, 2021 at 06:21 AM, Simon Brown wrote:

FWIW if you want center tuning display the receive pane and watch a signal there.

That's a very useful steer Simon. Had never given this any thought as I hardly use RX window in my normal day to day usage, but it seems exactly what Gedas and Joe need.

Out of interest, why is it possible to have this behaviour on the RX window and not in the main window? How feasible would it be to add this behaviour to the master display as a tick box enable/disable option? I do note it's slightly different to the current "centre window" option which I would not want to lose, but as an additional option it might be quite nice? FWIW my usual receivers do not display a centre "spike" so it would be quite usable for me and I assume therefore many others.

Max

How else can he make you whine, Max? {^_-}

More seriously there is a strong use case for not doing this due to the way the system works and a reasonable desire to avoid the LO self conversion frequency within your receivers. Consider the main window to show Front End status with some extra information fed out from the individual receivers. The receiver windows show data pertinent to the receiver tuning, which is "precise" and glitch free. If you retune the front end all the time you'll notice artifacts from the front end tuning steps. I for one figure it is less maddening to realize my front end os 7 Hz high when it is set to some frequency and all the receiver windows will be 7 Hz high rather than having 7 Hz high wander from 7 Hz low to 7 Hz high depending on the precise frequency to which you are tuned.

It is overdue time for you to take a tour of options. There are several options buttons that are somewhat contextual. There is one under "tools" that covers most such settings. There is a receiver option to do what you want.

{^_^}

On 20210918 10:22:40, sm6fhz wrote:
[...]

I do not see any option to keep the Tuned Frequency in the middle of the panadpter. Could you be more specific.

Joe  N9VX

Jim Smith G0OFE

There isn't, in the main display.

Best to use the Receiver Pane, which does keep the tuned frequency in the middle.

================================
Need help with SDR Console? If you have a problem:
Go to https://www.sdr-radio.com/support
Please follow instructions in that link.
===================================
Jim, Bournemouth, Dorset. IO90BR.

On 21/09/2021 23:03, joe_word via groups.io wrote:
I do not see any option to keep the Tuned Frequency in the middle of the panadpter. Could you be more specific.

Joe  N9VX

Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU

Open the DSP Panel (where you have the frequency display, filters, modes, etc) and open the IF Display. Then put mouse cursor inside the small waterfall and use the scroll knob on mouse. Active frequency will stay incenter, although you are limited in width of view.

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Siegfried Jackstien

open receiver pane ... can be set to any position

there you see the signal centered (it is similar to if window but can be docked anywhere and set to fulle screen width)

and as an example i docked it to top of screen and showing min and max zoom ratio

Am 22.09.2021 um 14:02 schrieb Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU:

Open the DSP Panel (where you have the frequency display, filters, modes, etc) and open the IF Display. Then put mouse cursor inside the small waterfall and use the scroll knob on mouse. Active frequency will stay incenter, although you are limited in width of view.

73 Kriss KA1GJU

sm6fhz

I am sorry Joanne, but I can not find the setting you are referring to under "Tools", "Options".
Can you please post a screenshot to ease the finding of this particular setting enabling one singe receiver in the Rx-matrix to keep it's displayed frequency range even if I change the Rx-frequency within the displayed frequency range.
73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

Simon Brown

Like this – see attachment.

I am sorry Joanne, but I can not find the setting you are referring to under "Tools", "Options".
Can you please post a screenshot to ease the finding of this particular setting enabling one singe receiver in the Rx-matrix to keep it's displayed frequency range even if I change the Rx-frequency within the displayed frequency range.
73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ

sm6fhz

Hi Simon.
If your answer was for me and my question, it does not solve my question regarding the RX-matrix and locking one particular Rx-displayed frequency range and move your Rx withing that range keeping the very same frequency range displayed.
I was not sure if your answer was directed to me or to another question. Sorry.
73 / Ingolf, SM6FHZ