#feature (Audio Oscilloscope with 20 milli-second span) #feature

Simon Brown

Hi,

I had this in v2 I think – maybe you can show me a screenshot / image of the display you need?

Simon Brown, G4ELI

https://www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Donald Kirk via groups.io
Sent: 19 March 2021 17:22
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: [SDR-Radio] #feature (Audio Oscilliscope with 20 milli-second span)

A very useful feature for those of us that track down radio frequency interference would be an Audio Oscilloscope display when in AM mode in which the horizontal axis (time axis) displaysd 20 milli-seconds of time.  This feature would allow us to capture the signature of arcing powerlines.  Many of the newer ham radios that are SDR based offer this feature with an adjustable horizontal axis time base, and this type of audio oscilloscope feature is very useful.

--
- + - + -
Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/ when posting questions or problems.

Donald Kirk

Hi Simon,

Attached is a picture showing the Audio Oscilloscope (bottom right hand display that is in green) that is capturing power line noise (arcing at a rate of120 Hz, arcing one time each half cycle of our 60 Hz powers sinewave), and the radio in this case is an IC-7851.  In this example the time base (horizontal axis) is 3 milli-seconds per division for a total of 15 milli-seconds, and it would be much better if it were for a total of 20 or 25 milli-seconds (or user adjustable).

Really appreciate you looking at this, as this is a feature that would be very handy for those of us that use SDR receivers while searching for power line noise.

Don Kirk (wd8dsb)

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sat, Mar 20, 2021 2:22 am
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] #feature (Audio Oscilloscope with 20 milli-second span)

Hi,

I had this in v2 I think – maybe you can show me a screenshot / image of the display you need?

Simon Brown, G4ELI

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Donald Kirk via groups.io

A very useful feature for those of us that track down radio frequency interference would be an Audio Oscilloscope display when in AM mode in which the horizontal axis (time axis) displaysd 20 milli-seconds of time.  This feature would allow us to capture the signature of arcing powerlines.  Many of the newer ham radios that are SDR based offer this feature with an adjustable horizontal axis time base, and this type of audio oscilloscope feature is very useful.

--
- + - + -
Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/ when posting questions or problems.

jdow

Buy an oscilloscope?
{o.o}

On 20210320 05:10:38, Donald Kirk via groups.io wrote:
Hi Simon,

Attached is a picture showing the Audio Oscilloscope (bottom right hand display that is in green) that is capturing power line noise (arcing at a rate of120 Hz, arcing one time each half cycle of our 60 Hz powers sinewave), and the radio in this case is an IC-7851.  In this example the time base (horizontal axis) is 3 milli-seconds per division for a total of 15 milli-seconds, and it would be much better if it were for a total of 20 or 25 milli-seconds (or user adjustable).

Really appreciate you looking at this, as this is a feature that would be very handy for those of us that use SDR receivers while searching for power line noise.

Don Kirk (wd8dsb)

Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] #feature (Audio Oscilloscope with 20 milli-second span)

Hi,

Simon Brown, G4ELI

--
- + - + -

Donald Kirk

Hi jdow,

Buying an oscilloscope is not the solution.

For portable radio direction finding many of us are now using portable SDR systems and it makes no sense to also carry any extra hardware or to use additional software packages to analyze the audio from the SDR software.  It looks like the trend is to include the ability to look at the audio spectrum in the time domain on all the modern SDR transceivers that are being introduced to the market, not just the frequency domain, and SDRconsole already provides that function but in a very rudimentary way.  Sure looks like the backbone of such a function is already in place in SDRConsole, just needs to be modified to include the ability to adjust the time base, etc.

Just FYI,
Don (wd8dsb)

Sent: Sat, Mar 20, 2021 8:05 pm

Buy an oscilloscope?
{o.o}

Hi Simon,

Don Kirk (wd8dsb)

Hi,

Simon Brown, G4ELI

--
- + - + -

jdow

Use SDRSharp?
{^_^}

On 20210320 17:41:34, Donald Kirk via groups.io wrote:
Hi jdow,

For portable radio direction finding many of us are now using portable SDR systems and it makes no sense to also carry any extra hardware or to use additional software packages to analyze the audio from the SDR software.  It looks like the trend is to include the ability to look at the audio spectrum in the time domain on all the modern SDR transceivers that are being introduced to the market, not just the frequency domain, and SDRconsole already provides that function but in a very rudimentary way.  Sure looks like the backbone of such a function is already in place in SDRConsole, just needs to be modified to include the ability to adjust the time base, etc.

Just FYI,
Don (wd8dsb)

Buy an oscilloscope?
{o.o}

Hi Simon,

Don Kirk (wd8dsb)

Hi,

Simon Brown, G4ELI

--
- + - + -

jdow

That is the rub, Don. It's not a tiny project. It's not huge. But, making a useful O'scope out of a sampled audio stream is not as simple as it sounds. Doing it right is a royal PITA. And for what gain to the majority of users?

{o.o}

just needs to be modified to include the ability to adjust the time base, etc.

Bill Walch

Hi Donald,

Perhaps, doing a quick Google search, I found two software sound card audio scope programs that may work for you, Visual Analyzer (http://www.sillanumsoft.org/), and Soundcard Oscilloscope (https://www.zeitnitz.eu/scope_en).

Of the two, the Visual Analyzer program, seems to the the most robust. Looking at the attached screenshot, it appears to have a wide variety of functions and features. Both programs operate via VB Cable.

Note that on the Visual Analyzer download page (http://www.sillanumsoft.org/download.htm), the latest version,
VISUAL ANALYSER 2021 R1 (only 32bit), says its only 32-bit, however, the installer does install 32 and 64-bit versions of the program (as seen on the screenshot).

Hope this helps,
73's, Bill

On 3/20/2021 8:41 PM, Donald Kirk via groups.io wrote:
Hi jdow,

Just FYI,
Don (wd8dsb)

Buy an oscilloscope?
{o.o}

Hi Simon,

Don Kirk (wd8dsb)

Hi,

Simon Brown, G4ELI

--
- + - + -

Re Claudio

I agree that this function could be very helpful and also easy to leave not only in AM , but in all modes. 73 Claudio I1RFQ

Donald Kirk

Hi Bill,

I use the Soundcsrd Oscilloscope software all of the time, but always after the fact.  I need real-time display of the audio signature while I’m waking around with antenna in one hand and laptop computer in my other hand (or while driving around).  Makes no sense using other software packages and having to stop and fiddle with settings and jumping back and forth between software packages and saved files to analyze when SDR software has all the data and just needs to display it real time in the time domain versus frequency domain.

Thanks, and 73.
Don (wd8dsb)

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail
Get the new AOL app: mail.mobile.aol.com

On Sunday, March 21, 2021, Bill Walch <willy6560@...> wrote:

Hi Donald,

Perhaps, doing a quick Google search, I found two software sound card audio scope programs that may work for you, Visual Analyzer (http://www.sillanumsoft.org/), and Soundcard Oscilloscope (https://www.zeitnitz.eu/scope_en).

Of the two, the Visual Analyzer program, seems to the the most robust. Looking at the attached screenshot, it appears to have a wide variety of functions and features. Both programs operate via VB Cable.

Note that on the Visual Analyzer download page (http://www.sillanumsoft.org/download.htm), the latest version,
VISUAL ANALYSER 2021 R1 (only 32bit), says its only 32-bit, however, the installer does install 32 and 64-bit versions of the program (as seen on the screenshot).

Hope this helps,
73's, Bill

Hi jdow,

Just FYI,
Don (wd8dsb)

Buy an oscilloscope?
{o.o}

Hi Simon,

Don Kirk (wd8dsb)

Hi,

Simon Brown, G4ELI

--
- + - + -

Larry Dodd

To hopefully answer the question about “for what gain” I can think of several important and scientific uses for this feature way beyond basic short wave listening.  It would facilitate the study and analyzing of discrete frequencies while also monitoring a larger wide spectrum simultaneously. In NASA Radio Jove work for example we study Jupiter radio storms and other ionospheric disturbances in both wide band and single frequency slices. Provide the feature, whatever it is, and others will find many uses for it. Simon Browns SDR Console is a fantastic platform for SWL and amateur radio enjoyment as well as HamSci and other scientific support of serious science projects. 
Respectfully,
Larry, K4LED 

On Mar 21, 2021, at 1:42 AM, jdow <jdow@...> wrote:

That is the rub, Don. It's not a tiny project. It's not huge. But, making a useful O'scope out of a sampled audio stream is not as simple as it sounds. Doing it right is a royal PITA. And for what gain to the majority of users?

{o.o}

David J Taylor

On 21/03/2021 12:45, Larry Dodd wrote:
To hopefully answer the question about “for what gain” I can think of several important and scientific uses for this feature way beyond basic short wave listening.
[]
Respectfully,
Larry, K4LED
In addition, for digital voice modes, there is often no indication of transmitted (and therefore received) audio level, resulting in the need to fiddle the volume control from speaker to speaker. With SSB you almost always have some indication of output power - not so relevant on D-Star, DMR, NXDN etc.

Some sort of simple PPM to the 'scope would be a helpful addition if decoding of digital modes is incorporated, enabling a general improvement in standards.

David GM8ARV
--
SatSignal Software - Quality software for you
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk
Twitter: @gm8arv

Donald Kirk

Hi jdow,

I suspect all users of SDR receivers are plagued by power line interference as well as other types of interference at one time or another, therefore this feature would benefit almost all users of the software at some point in time helping them diagnose their interference. Therefore I could argue that this feature would universally benefit more users than almost any other single feature that’s not currently available.

Need to keep our minds open and let the developer of the software decide what’s possible and realistic, and that’s why they have a hashtag for new features.

Don wd8dsb

On Sunday, March 21, 2021, jdow <jdow@...> wrote:

{o.o}

Bill Walch

Don,

I agree. While these "external" scopes are good, for the purposes of signal snooping, they're too cumbersome. I'm sure Simon can come up with a simple band-scope that's integrated within SDRC.

Of course, an alternative signal snoop kit would be an SDR on a Tablet, but that's an entirely different discussion.

On 3/21/2021 7:04 AM, wd8dsb@... wrote:
Hi Bill,

I use the Soundcsrd Oscilloscope software all of the time, but always after the fact.  I need real-time display of the audio signature while I’m waking around with antenna in one hand and laptop computer in my other hand (or while driving around).  Makes no sense using other software packages and having to stop and fiddle with settings and jumping back and forth between software packages and saved files to analyze when SDR software has all the data and just needs to display it real time in the time domain versus frequency domain.

Thanks, and 73.
Don (wd8dsb)

Hi Donald,

Hope this helps,
73's, Bill

Hi jdow,

Just FYI,
Don (wd8dsb)

Buy an oscilloscope?
{o.o}

Hi Simon,

Don Kirk (wd8dsb)

Hi,

Simon Brown, G4ELI

--
- + - + -

Bill Walch

Don,

I agree. While these "external" scopes are good, for the purposes of signal snooping, they're too big and cumbersome, although they would permit detailed signal analysis, albeit, after the fact (using prerecorded audio from SDRC). I'm sure Simon can come up with a simple band-scope that's integrated within SDRC.

Of course, an alternative signal snooping kit would be an SDR on a Tablet, but that's an entirely different discussion, and outside of SDRC.

On 3/21/2021 7:04 AM, wd8dsb@... wrote:
Hi Bill,

Thanks, and 73.
Don (wd8dsb)

Hi Donald,

Hope this helps,
73's, Bill

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#61828) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-++-+-+-+-+-++-+-+-+-+-+

Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com for all:

* bug reports
* questions.

This is the unofficial support for SDR-Radio.com software.

RSS feed is https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/app.php/feed

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-++-+-+-+-+-++-+-+-+-+-+
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [wd8dsb@...]
_._,_._,_

Jim Smith G0OFE

It is also best that any new feature requests be posted on the forum

https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/index.php

..rather than here. Simon has moved official support to there as it is much easier for him if issues and requests are captured there. This group still exists for general chatter and for members who have not been around for a while to be directed there.

================================
Need help with SDR Console? If you have a problem:
Go to https://www.sdr-radio.com/support
Please follow instructions in that link.
===================================
Jim, Bournemouth, Dorset. IO90BR.
Elad FDM-S2, Airspy HF+, SDRPlay and Funcube Dongle SDR Recievers
8-element OP-DES for Band 2, 8-element LFA for 2m, 3-element LFA for 6m, 20m Windom for HF,. Wellbrook 1530 Loop for LF

On 21/03/2021 15:45, Donald Kirk via groups.io wrote:
Hi jdow,

I suspect all users of SDR receivers are plagued by power line interference as well as other types of interference at one time or another, therefore this feature would benefit almost all users of the software at some point in time helping them diagnose their interference. Therefore I could argue that this feature would universally benefit more users than almost any other single feature that’s not currently available.

Need to keep our minds open and let the developer of the software decide what’s possible and realistic, and that’s why they have a hashtag for new features.

Don wd8dsb

{o.o}

Donald Kirk

Hi Jim,

I followed the instructions found on the FAQ page of https://www.sdr-radio.com/ that says the following regarding requesting a new feature, and sounds like this info is no longer valid based on your comment.  The link in the instructions took me to the user group.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Requesting A Feature
In the user group:
  • Start a new post
  • Add #Future in the Subject with a brief summary of the request
Example:
Subject: #Future Add support for 3D Waterfall
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just FYI,
Don (wd8dsb)

Sent: Sun, Mar 21, 2021 2:53 pm

..rather than here. Simon has moved official support to there as it is much easier for him if issues and requests are captured there. This group still exists for general chatter and for members who have not been around for a while to be directed there.
8-element OP-DES for Band 2, 8-element LFA for 2m, 3-element LFA for 6m, 20m Windom for HF,. Wellbrook 1530 Loop for LF

Hi jdow,

Don wd8dsb

{o.o}

Simon Brown

Very true.

If it’s on the forum then I see it when looking at requests etc. This is now an informal mailing list.

Just FWIW I’m working on some digital mode stuff for a few weeks, this is going well.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

https://www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim Smith G0OFE
Sent: 21 March 2021 18:53

https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/index.php

Hi jdow,

Don wd8dsb

{o.o}

--
- + - + -

jdow

A virtual audio cable is your solution. Then you can run the O'scope SW and SDRSharp (for a slightly smaller graphics footprint) at the same time.

{^_^}

On 20210321 04:04:33, Donald Kirk via groups.io wrote:
Hi Bill,

Thanks, and 73.
Don (wd8dsb)

Hi Donald,

Hope this helps,
73's, Bill

Hi jdow,

Just FYI,
Don (wd8dsb)

Buy an oscilloscope?
{o.o}

Hi Simon,

Don Kirk (wd8dsb)

Hi,

Simon Brown, G4ELI

--
- + - + -

jdow

Is there enough gain to enough users that it should add software complexity (which reduces reliability) for all users when a virtual audio cable and existing very good external oscilloscope software?

{^_^}

On 20210321 05:45:19, Larry Dodd wrote:
To hopefully answer the question about “for what gain” I can think of several important and scientific uses for this feature way beyond basic short wave listening.  It would facilitate the study and analyzing of discrete frequencies while also monitoring a larger wide spectrum simultaneously. In NASA Radio Jove work for example we study Jupiter radio storms and other ionospheric disturbances in both wide band and single frequency slices. Provide the feature, whatever it is, and others will find many uses for it. Simon Browns SDR Console is a fantastic platform for SWL and amateur radio enjoyment as well as HamSci and other scientific support of serious science projects. 
Respectfully,
Larry, K4LED 

{o.o}

Larry Dodd

Certainly would not want to break SDR Console as it is for any reason. It’s too valuable. Have to a draw a line on new features eventually. Completely understood. 
Larry, K4LED 

On Mar 22, 2021, at 2:24 AM, jdow <jdow@...> wrote:

Is there enough gain to enough users that it should add software complexity (which reduces reliability) for all users when a virtual audio cable and existing very good external oscilloscope software?

{^_^}

On 20210321 05:45:19, Larry Dodd wrote:
Respectfully,
Larry, K4LED 

{o.o}