Audio Distortion - Cannot Decode FT8 #airspyr2

Mike

Edited

Using an Airspy R2. Computer is Dell Tower,Intel 10th Generation Quad I7,Graphic Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660T,Memory (RAM) 32 G,Windows 10 Pro

Test case 24.915 MHz ham radio FT8 frequency and WSJT-X, V2.2.2

Received audio to speaker or virtual cable is mushy/distorted. The audio spectrum of received signals on the WSJT-X waterfall appear mushy and poorly defined. Signals will not decode. Changed SDR to an SDR-IQ. Signals are clearly defined on the WSJT waterfall and all signals are decoded.

Just loaded SDR Sharp with Airspy R2 and WSJT-X decoding fine...so the issue does appear to be with V3.

I have tried reinstalling the software and adjusting all the settings I can find but there is no change. Does anyone have any suggestions? I purchased the Airspy R2 for weak signal VHF/UHF meteor scatter and Es propagation. I have jpg picture files of the V3 screen, WSJT-X Airspy window, and the WSJT-X SDR-IQ window but I don't know how to attach them here.

Thank You
Mike K7PI

Paul Robertson

Just a thought. Did you sync the time setting on your computer?

Paul VE3HFQ

On Dec 4, 2020, at 1:45 PM, Mike <bipi@...> wrote:

Using an Airspy R2. Computer is Dell Tower,Intel 10th Generation Quad I,Graphic Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660T,Memory (RAM) 32 G,Windows 10 Pro

Test case 24.915 MHz ham radio FT8 frequency and WSJT-X, V2.2.2

Received audio to speaker or virtual cable is mushy/distorted. The audio spectrum of received signals on the WSJT-X waterfall appear mushy and poorly defined. Signals will not decode. Changed SDR to an SDR-IQ. Signals are clearly defined on the WSJT waterfall and all signals are decoded.

I have tried reinstalling the software and adjusting all the settings I can find but there is no change. Does anyone have any suggestions? I purchased the Airspy R2 for weak signal VHF/UHF meteor scatter and Es propagation. I have jpg picture files of the V3 screen, WSJT-X Airspy window, and the WSJT-X SDR-IQ window but I don't know how to attach them here.

Thank You
Mike
K7PI

Mike

Thanks for the response...Yes, time is GPS controlled on my computer...uses multiple satellites to continuously correct the time.

Mike K7PI

Simon Brown

Mike,

In the forums (URL at the bottom) post this problem and a screenshot so we can see your settings. WSJT should be fine.

[...]

The AirSpy R2 is not rated for use at 24.915 MHz. Do you mean Discovery or something?

Visit the forum. I believe somebody had this trouble and got it working by fiddling the settings of the toy that fits between the SDR software and WSJT.

{^_^}

On 20201204 10:44:59, Mike wrote:
[...]

jdow

Not at 24.915 MHz, I suspect. (Hm, with either "." or "," separators. He has a US call sign so it's "about" 25 MHz as he cited it. That is on the ragged edge of R820 type tuners. I'd expect stability problems with it. (If he is using a converter I'd expect it to just flat not work given most conveters. A GPS stabilized Spyverter might work.)

{^_^}

On 20201204 11:56:08, Simon Brown wrote:

[...]

Dr.Alexander Hahn

Which program are you using as a virtual audio cable?

jdow

If you mean me I'll probably just compile what Microsoft supplies as an example in their Driver Development Kit. I simply noted the discussion on the forum and tried to point you there.

{o.o}