Icom IC-R8600 firmware update for IQ output, HDSDR support DLL

David J Taylor

A nice Christmas present from ICOM - Icom IC-R8600 firmware update for IQ output, HDSDR support DLL

Manual:
http://www.icom.co.jp/world/support/download/manual/pdf/IC-R8600_ENG_ExtIO_Inst_0.pdf

ExtIO.dll driver:
https://www.icom.co.jp/world/support/download/firm/IC-R8600/dll1_00/

Firmware update:
https://www.icom.co.jp/world/support/download/firm/IC-R8600/1_30/

The firmware may be slightly different for USA models.

Yes, I know it's not a celebrated holiday in Japan.

Cheers,
David
--
SatSignal Software - Quality software written to your requirements
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk
Twitter: @gm8arv

Simon Brown

Hi David,

I saw this in the Facebook group. If you ever find the I/Q message format
please let me know.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

www.dxgalaxy.com
www.sdr-radio.com
www.sdr-satellites.com

-----Original Message-----
From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io [mailto:main@SDR-Radio.groups.io] On Behalf
Of David J Taylor via Groups.Io
Sent: 26 December 2017 07:33
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: [SDR-Radio] Icom IC-R8600 firmware update for IQ output, HDSDR
support DLL

A nice Christmas present from ICOM - Icom IC-R8600 firmware update for IQ
output, HDSDR support DLL

Manual:

http://www.icom.co.jp/world/support/download/manual/pdf/IC-R8600_ENG_ExtIO_I
nst_0.pdf

ExtIO.dll driver:
https://www.icom.co.jp/world/support/download/firm/IC-R8600/dll1_00/

Firmware update:
https://www.icom.co.jp/world/support/download/firm/IC-R8600/1_30/

The firmware may be slightly different for USA models.

Yes, I know it's not a celebrated holiday in Japan.

Cheers,
David
--

David J Taylor

Hi David,

I saw this in the Facebook group. If you ever find the I/Q message format
please let me know.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
================================

Simon,

It goes to an ExtIO interface - can you use that?

David GM8ARV
--

Simon Brown

David,

No. I need the documentation 😊 .

Simon Brown, G4ELI

www.dxgalaxy.com
www.sdr-radio.com
www.sdr-satellites.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io [mailto:main@SDR-Radio.groups.io] On Behalf Of David J Taylor via Groups.Io
Sent: 26 December 2017 10:39
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Icom IC-R8600 firmware update for IQ output, HDSDR support DLL

Hi David,

I saw this in the Facebook group. If you ever find the I/Q message format please let me know.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
================================

Simon,

It goes to an ExtIO interface - can you use that?

David GM8ARV
--

David J Taylor

David,

No. I need the documentation 😊 .

Simon Brown, G4ELI
=====================================

Unfortunately no documentation came with it. There are programs which monitor serial and IP communications, perhaps there's something for USB? Don't you support ExtIO?

David GM8ARV
--

Simon Brown

David,

As per the original request - if you find documentation for the I/Q message format please let me know. Until then...

Simon Brown, G4ELI

www.dxgalaxy.com
www.sdr-radio.com
www.sdr-satellites.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io [mailto:main@SDR-Radio.groups.io] On Behalf Of David J Taylor via Groups.Io

Unfortunately no documentation came with it. There are programs which monitor serial and IP communications, perhaps there's something for USB?
Don't you support ExtIO?

David GM8ARV

Mark Jessop

Looks like they've released bugger all information so far. 
The best I could find is this: http://www.icom.co.jp/world/support/download/manual/pdf/IC-R8600_ENG_ExtIO_OG_0.pdf  which is just a user manual.

Interesting notes about sample rate in there though - looks like it can provide up to 5.12 MHz bandwidth!

Will definitely be awaiting the same support for my IC-7610 - time to start bugging Icom to actually release a specification for the interface, not just an ExtIO DLL.

Mark VK5QI

On Tue, Dec 26, 2017 at 9:30 PM, Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:
David,

As per the original request - if you find documentation for the I/Q message format please let me know. Until then...

Simon Brown, G4ELI

www.dxgalaxy.com
www.sdr-radio.com
www.sdr-satellites.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io [mailto:main@....io] On Behalf Of David J Taylor via Groups.Io

Unfortunately no documentation came with it.  There are programs which monitor serial and IP communications, perhaps there's something for USB?
Don't you support ExtIO?

David GM8ARV

Mark Jessop

Have shot an e-mail to Icom sales about this, asking to have it forwarded onto engineering (who I have had some responses from with regards to other IC-7610 issues).
I'm not holding my breath on this one. Icom don't seem to be particularly forthcoming with decent specifications for this kind of stuff.

- Mark VK5QI

On Tue, Dec 26, 2017 at 9:37 PM, Mark Jessop <vk5qi@...> wrote:
The best I could find is this: http://www.icom.co.jp/world/support/download/manual/pdf/IC-R8600_ENG_ExtIO_OG_0.pdf  which is just a user manual.

Interesting notes about sample rate in there though - looks like it can provide up to 5.12 MHz bandwidth!

Will definitely be awaiting the same support for my IC-7610 - time to start bugging Icom to actually release a specification for the interface, not just an ExtIO DLL.

Mark VK5QI

David,

Simon Brown, G4ELI

www.dxgalaxy.com
www.sdr-radio.com
www.sdr-satellites.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io [mailto:main@....io] On Behalf Of David J Taylor via Groups.Io

Unfortunately no documentation came with it.  There are programs which monitor serial and IP communications, perhaps there's something for USB?
Don't you support ExtIO?

David GM8ARV

Siegfried Jackstien

there is not really a need for an extio if it supports cat and if you then can use an omnirig driver

as an example the mchf uses cat commands froom ft817 .. but also supports iq out via usb

connecting that to hdsdr is easy

use mchf soundcard as input in sdrsoft

and use omnirig driver for sync frequency

no need for an extio driver

so what you need is cat (then also other soft can switch from rx to tx via cat command and can sync via cat ... example clustersoftware, logbook etc.)

and whatelse you need is iq out via a (virtual) soundcard (so that you can select that as input for sdrsoftware

best would be if you then also can TRANSMIT in iq mode

mchf can do this ... it has iq in and out OR audio in and out ... plus cat ... all on that single usb cable

so connectimng it to any digital modes software (or using as an sdr frontend) is supereasy

ALL manufacturers should step in that direction ... audio or iq data plus cat on a single usb cable

then cnnecting a rig to a pc would be much easier as homebrewing a "soundmodem" with optocoupler for ptt plus audio transformers (and routing that to pc soundcard)

dg9bfc sigi

ps if some manufacturers would "spy" in our newsgroups they would know what we want

Am 26.12.2017 um 11:07 schrieb Mark Jessop:

Mark VK5QI

David,

Simon Brown, G4ELI

www.dxgalaxy.com
www.sdr-radio.com
www.sdr-satellites.com

Don't you support ExtIO?

David GM8ARV

Mark Jessop

I somehow suspect the IC-R8600 is not appearing as a USB audio device - not with the very high sample rates (5.12 MHz) it's providing.
There's also radio control on the same interface, so my money is on something very custom.

When they release the firmware for the IC-7610 I'll be able to tell you ;-)

- Mark VK5QI

On Tue, Dec 26, 2017 at 9:49 PM, Siegfried Jackstien <siegfried.jackstien@...> wrote:

there is not really a need for an extio if it supports cat and if you then can use an omnirig driver

as an example the mchf uses cat commands froom ft817 .. but also supports iq out via usb

connecting that to hdsdr is easy

use mchf soundcard as input in sdrsoft

and use omnirig driver for sync frequency

no need for an extio driver

so what you need is cat (then also other soft can switch from rx to tx via cat command and can sync via cat ... example clustersoftware, logbook etc.)

and whatelse you need is iq out via a (virtual) soundcard (so that you can select that as input for sdrsoftware

best would be if you then also can TRANSMIT in iq mode

mchf can do this ... it has iq in and out OR audio in and out ... plus cat ... all on that single usb cable

so connectimng it to any digital modes software (or using as an sdr frontend) is supereasy

ALL manufacturers should step in that direction ... audio or iq data plus cat on a single usb cable

then cnnecting a rig to a pc would be much easier as homebrewing a "soundmodem" with optocoupler for ptt plus audio transformers (and routing that to pc soundcard)

dg9bfc sigi

ps if some manufacturers would "spy" in our newsgroups they would know what we want

Am 26.12.2017 um 11:07 schrieb Mark Jessop:

Mark VK5QI

David,

Simon Brown, G4ELI

www.dxgalaxy.com
www.sdr-radio.com
www.sdr-satellites.com

Don't you support ExtIO?

David GM8ARV

David J Taylor

I somehow suspect the IC-R8600 is not appearing as a USB audio device - not with the very high sample rates (5.12 MHz) it's providing.
There's also radio control on the same interface, so my money is on something very custom.

When they release the firmware for the IC-7610 I'll be able to tell you ;-)

- Mark VK5QI
======================================

It offers both 16-bit and 24-bit samples too, except on the highest sampling rate. Lowest sampling rate is 30 kHz. On the HDSDR you set the actual frequency to be received (e.g. 92.1 MHz BBC Radio 3), and use the EXT IO to set sample rate and bit depth. Yes, it's obviously control output as well as block input, but so is there on the RTL device. Doesn't seem all that stable yet, as changing the frequency or the bandwidth can crash HDSDR.

With the ExtIO it should support other SDR software too.

Cheers,
David
--

Simon Brown

Mark,

The CI-V info is very complete, I hope it’s just a question of time. If they do release this info then a 7610 may appear in the ‘eLI pigsty 😊 .

Simon Brown, G4ELI

www.dxgalaxy.com
www.sdr-radio.com
www.sdr-satellites.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io [mailto:main@SDR-Radio.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mark Jessop
Sent: 26 December 2017 11:21
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Icom IC-R8600 firmware update for IQ output, HDSDR support DLL

Have shot an e-mail to Icom sales about this, asking to have it forwarded onto engineering (who I have had some responses from with regards to other IC-7610 issues).

I'm not holding my breath on this one. Icom don't seem to be particularly forthcoming with decent specifications for this kind of stuff.

- Mark VK5QI

Eric Cottrell

Hello,

I downloaded and setup the R8600 with HDSDR last night. It works good. It "takes over" the radio, unlike the IQ Output on the AOR AR-Alpha. Radio control is through the IQ Output USB, unlike the Alpha where a separate connection is required for radio control. I assume there are some additional CI-V commands.

The AOR AR-Alpha and the R8600 both use the Cypress EZ-USB FX2 chip. Both radios have endpoints defined for bulk data and the FX2 chip is capable of high rate data output. AOR provided a device driver for the AR-Alpha, and I had to write my own ExtIO.dll driver. I have not looked at any Icom driver installed. I assume the Driver API would be a needed piece of information to add support in SDR Console.

I am planning on looking at the driver and any added CI-V commands. I have already found a few undocumented ones from past firmware releases. I have not gotten to look at Version 1.30 yet.
https://forums.radioreference.com/icom-receivers/356021-using-icom-r8600-2.html#post2831673

73 Eric

Eric Cottrell

Hello,

The CyUSB3.sys driver is installed by the Icom Installer. There appears to be two devices defined, one mentions WinUSB which is maybe for the IQ Data, and the other which is maybe for CI-V control.
http://www.cypress.com/file/145261/download

I expect the CI-V manual to be updated as new commands were added in the Version 1.30 update. Here are the two I figured out.

Cmd  Sub  Data
16      65    00 ~ 01       Send/read IP+ (00=OFF, 01=ON)

1A     13     00            Read the remote status [I/Q Output]  (00=OFF, 01=ON)
[/CODE]

There are other 1A 13 commands, but they can only be used on the IQ Output USB port. The 1A 13 00 command is also used to turn on remote mode when used over the IQ Output USB port. There are also 1A 13 01 and 1A 13 02 commands. I need to figure out how to setup communications on the IQ Output USB port.

73 Eric

73 Eric

Eric Cottrell

Hello,

R8600 IQ seems straight forward. CI-V commands are sent to an BULK endpoint on the IQ Data USB port and responses are sent back from another BULK endpoint. A couple of commands can only be sent over the IQ connection. It appears sample rates below 240 KHz are done in the ExtIO DLL.

These new commands can be sent on any port.
Cmd  Sub  Data
16   65   00 ~ 01       Send/read IP+ (00=OFF, 01=ON)
1A   13   00            Read the remote status (00=OFF, 01=ON)

These commands can only be sent on the IQ Data USB port.
Cmd  Sub  Data
1A   13   00 00         Set remote off
1A   13   00 01         Set remote on

1A   13   01 00             Set IQ Output Off
1A   13   01 01 00 01   Set IQ Output On 5.12 MSPS (4.48 MHz BW) 16 Bit
1A   13   01 01 00 02   Set IQ Output On 3.84 MSPS (3.31 MHz BW) 16 Bit
1A   13   01 01 01 02   Set IQ Output On 3.84 MSPS (3.31 MHz BW) 24 Bit
1A   13   01 01 00 03   Set IQ Output On 1.92 MSPS (1.63 MHz BW) 16 Bit
1A   13   01 01 01 03   Set IQ Output On 1.92 MSPS (1.63 MHz BW) 24 Bit
1A   13   01 01 00 04   Set IQ Output On 960 KSPS (815 KHz BW) 16 Bit
1A   13   01 01 01 04   Set IQ Output On 960 KSPS (815 KHz BW) 24 Bit
1A   13   01 01 00 05   Set IQ Output On 480 KSPS (408 KHz BW) 16 Bit
1A   13   01 01 01 05   Set IQ Output On 480 KSPS (408 KHz BW) 24 Bit
1A   13   01 01 00 06   Set IQ Output On 240 KSPS (203 KHz BW) 16 Bit
1A   13   01 01 01 06   Set IQ Output On 240 KSPS (203 KHz BW) 24 Bit

1A   13   02 00 ~ 01    Send/read HF BPF (00=OFF, 01=ON)

IQ Data seems straight forward little-endian 16 bit or 24 bit values alternating between I and Q.

73 Eric

Simon Brown

Hi Eric,

Thanks for this. I will not be buying the r8600, without a unit for development I’ll not be adding support. The r8600 looks very nice but it’s also rather expensive .

Simon Brown, G4ELI

www.dxgalaxy.com
www.sdr-radio.com
www.sdr-satellites.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io [mailto:main@SDR-Radio.groups.io] On Behalf Of Eric Cottrell
Sent: 01 January 2018 02:20

Hello,

R8600 IQ seems straight forward. CI-V commands are sent to an BULK endpoint on the IQ Data USB port and responses are sent back from another BULK endpoint. A couple of commands can only be sent over the IQ connection. It appears sample rates below 240 KHz are done in the ExtIO DLL.

These new commands can be sent on any port.
Cmd  Sub  Data
16   65   00 ~ 01       Send/read IP+ (00=OFF, 01=ON)
1A   13   00            Read the remote status (00=OFF, 01=ON)

These commands can only be sent on the IQ Data USB port.
Cmd  Sub  Data
1A   13   00 00         Set remote off
1A   13   00 01         Set remote on

1A   13   01 00             Set IQ Output Off
1A   13   01 01 00 01   Set IQ Output On 5.12 MSPS (4.48 MHz BW) 16 Bit
1A   13   01 01 00 02   Set IQ Output On 3.84 MSPS (3.31 MHz BW) 16 Bit
1A   13   01 01 01 02   Set IQ Output On 3.84 MSPS (3.31 MHz BW) 24 Bit
1A   13   01 01 00 03   Set IQ Output On 1.92 MSPS (1.63 MHz BW) 16 Bit
1A   13   01 01 01 03   Set IQ Output On 1.92 MSPS (1.63 MHz BW) 24 Bit
1A   13   01 01 00 04   Set IQ Output On 960 KSPS (815 KHz BW) 16 Bit
1A   13   01 01 01 04   Set IQ Output On 960 KSPS (815 KHz BW) 24 Bit
1A   13   01 01 00 05   Set IQ Output On 480 KSPS (408 KHz BW) 16 Bit
1A   13   01 01 01 05   Set IQ Output On 480 KSPS (408 KHz BW) 24 Bit
1A   13   01 01 00 06   Set IQ Output On 240 KSPS (203 KHz BW) 16 Bit
1A   13   01 01 01 06   Set IQ Output On 240 KSPS (203 KHz BW) 24 Bit

1A   13   02 00 ~ 01    Send/read HF BPF (00=OFF, 01=ON)

IQ Data seems straight forward little-endian 16 bit or 24 bit values alternating between I and Q.

73 Eric

David J Taylor

Hi Eric,

Thanks for this. I will not be buying the r8600, without a unit for development I’ll not be adding support. The r8600 looks very nice but it’s also rather expensive ☹ .

Simon Brown, G4ELI

Happy New Year!

Writing off the IC-R8600 is disappointing, Simon. There are a number of us out here who could test for you, and it seems that the format of the I/Q data which you requested is now known. Perhaps using TeamViewer into the remote PC? You are already familiar with the CI-V command structure. I expect that your commercial users will be interested in R8600 support. Perhaps you could get a loan radio from a dealer on the basis of increasing potential sales?

It's not that expensive compared to higher-end transceivers which many seem to buy!

David GM8ARV
--

Simon Brown

Hi David,

Commercially the bandwidth of the R8600 is too low - typically the requirement is a minimum of 10MHz, 25MHz being preferred. The price is somewhat high in my opinion and customers don't use radios with knobs on anyway. I would have no use for a R8600 at the moment.

January is server month, February and March debugging / tidying up months with a release on April 1st. April onwards will start with transmit work on the LimeSDR (if not achieved in February/March) and debugging the ANAN support, followed by digital modes.

Without a R8600 in front of me support will not happen.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

www.dxgalaxy.com
www.sdr-radio.com
www.sdr-satellites.com

Sent: 01 January 2018 09:16

Hi Eric,

Thanks for this. I will not be buying the r8600, without a unit for development I’ll not be adding support. The r8600 looks very nice but it’s also rather expensive ☹ .

Simon Brown, G4ELI

Happy New Year!

Writing off the IC-R8600 is disappointing, Simon. There are a number of us out here who could test for you, and it seems that the format of the I/Q data which you requested is now known. Perhaps using TeamViewer into the remote PC? You are already familiar with the CI-V command structure. I expect that your commercial users will be interested in R8600 support.
Perhaps you could get a loan radio from a dealer on the basis of increasing potential sales?

It's not that expensive compared to higher-end transceivers which many seem to buy!

David GM8ARV
--

David J Taylor

It's not that expensive compared to higher-end transceivers which many seem
to buy!
=============================

Not that I was suggesting you buy one, just noting the price! If I had to buy a rotator system for each one I support - I'd have nowhere to put them in any case!

David GM8ARV
--

Simon Brown

Now then,

A local Ham has the 7610 on order, the IQ is very similar if now the same. Let's see...

Simon Brown, G4ELI

www.dxgalaxy.com
www.sdr-radio.com
www.sdr-satellites.com

Sent: 01 January 2018 09:40

=============================

Not that I was suggesting you buy one, just noting the price! If I had to buy a rotator system for each one I support - I'd have nowhere to put them in any case!

David GM8ARV
--