SDR Console as a simple WEB SDR #future

Martin

Hi Simon,

Just a thought that crossed my mind.

With the advent of the RX-888 and other similar SDR's in the pipeline.

Would it be possible to provide some sort of web-server front end associated with each receiver, so that folks could use Console via a web browser to create what would basically be a simple web sdr, without the need to run console as a native application in a server - client relationship ?

I know the streaming function is similar, but it's not quite the same thing.

Something like this would be ideal for radio clubs and for folks wishing to remotely listen to the radio on tablets and phones.

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ

Martin

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 02:49 PM, Martin wrote:
Just a thought that crossed my mind.
Oops should have asked on the new forum.

My bad. I'll post on there.

Regards,

Martin

Simon Brown

Hi Martin,

I would like to write a ‘proper’ web-based SDR using a more modern interface than we traditionally see, maybe in 2021 but don’t hold your breath.

Adding these features into SDR Console just isn’t practical.

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 02:49 PM, Martin wrote:

Just a thought that crossed my mind.

Oops should have asked on the new forum.

My bad. I'll post on there.

Regards,

Martin

Martin

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 02:59 PM, Simon Brown wrote:
Please do 😊
Done, and thanks for the quick reply, at least you didn't say no way :-)

Regards,

Martin

Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU

Isn't that what Web SDR is?
http://websdr.org/

Granted you will not get all the pretty details like SDRC. But if you just want to listen via an Ipad, phone, or Windoze computer, it works.

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Simon Brown

And this is what I would like to write ‘properly’ in 2022 perhaps.

Granted you will not get all the pretty details like SDRC. But if you just want to listen via an Ipad, phone, or Windoze computer, it works.

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Martin

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 09:25 PM, Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU wrote:
Isn't that what Web SDR is?
http://websdr.org/
Hi Kriss,

Yes, and also the KiWi and OpenWebRX SDR's http://rx.linkfanel.net/

I'm an admin for several of these.

http://farnham-sdr.com/

http://kiwi.farnham-sdr.com:8073/

http://kernow.hopto.org:8073/

http://websdr.uk:8060/

etc.

However my suggestion was to allow anyone running SDR Console to have the ability to turn it into a web sdr that could be shared with others if they wished.

It would also allow control of SDR console via tablets and phones using a standard web browser, without needing to run a specific OS.

For folks with serious noise problems that compromise reception, using remote receive sites is becoming more commonplace.

WEBSDR software requires release of the appropriate software from it's author, and significant Linux skills to configure and maintain.

http://www.websdr.org/background.html

OpenWebRX has various limitations an is also not an 'out of the box' configuration.

https://www.openwebrx.de/

KiWi SDR is almost out of the box, but it hardware specific and as time goes by, the hardware is becoming a limiting factor.

http://kiwisdr.com/

If SDR Console could provide basic web sdr functionality, by utilising the separate receiver panes, it would facilitate the sharing of your own receive equipment with others, without the need to have SDR Console installed on the client device.

I hope this further clarifies the background to my suggestion.

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ