RSP1DX

George Stein - NJ3H

Greetings,

How well does the subject receiver work with SDRC?  Are there any major issues or concerns?

Thanks for any comments.

Regards,
George, NJ3H

martin m3ghe

Do you mean the RSPDX or the RSP1? There isn't a RSP1DX.
--
Martin m3ghe

Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU

It 'plays' very well with SDRC (pun intended)!
As to it's tendency to overload from nearby AM BC stations creating images across the spectrum, I'll let the others comment on that... ūü§ź

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Tom Crosbie G6PZZ

George,

If you mean the RSPdx, none that I have noticed. It performs really well, as I expected, on MW and SW but due to lack of proper antennas, I can’t claim the same above 30MHz. I have heard local 2m activity using a telescopic whip. I don’t generally listen to ham bands and I don’t do satellites or data. Yet.

73 Tom G6PZZ

Nr Chesterfield | NE Derbyshire | UK | IO93he

HF250 | Sentinel 4 | RSPdx | RM50 | TR2 | ATS 808

15m MLB | MTA | D707

How well does the subject receiver work with SDRC?  Are there any major issues or concerns?

Thanks for any comments.

Regards,
George, NJ3H

Alan

As to it's tendency to overload from nearby AM BC stations creating images across the spectrum, I'll let the others comment on that... ????
Kriss,

Not an uncommon "feature" of wideband SDRs. http://ka7oei.blogspot.com/2018/06/a-limited-attenuation-high-pass-filter.html has some useful designs to level out signals over 0-30MHz.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Tom Crosbie G6PZZ

Kriss.

I think a fair point (pun intended!ūüėä) would be to say that the performance on AM BCB might depend on where you live and the type of antennas you use. I don‚Äôt have any powerful TXs close to me, nor do I have room for a mile-long beverage. I don‚Äôt suffer from images across the band generally. But the RSPdx hears low level signals that my Lowe HF250 can‚Äôt on the same long-wire antenna. For example 531kHz Kringvarp F√łroya with only 10kW from 250 miles away romps in on the RSPdx but has never been heard on the HF250.

YMMV

73 Tom G6PZZ

Nr Chesterfield | NE Derbyshire | UK | IO93he

HF250 | Sentinel 4 | RSPdx | RM50 | TR2 | ATS 808

15m MLB | MTA | D707

It 'plays' very well with SDRC (pun intended)!
As to it's tendency to overload from nearby AM BC stations creating images across the spectrum, I'll let the others comment on that... ūü§ź

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Brent Seres/ VE3CUS

I have a RSP2. Initially,  I had terrible problems with overloading from our local broadcast station on 800 Khz. I built a wave trap with a 365 pF variable and a ferrite toroid, which worked great to knock it out. Fortunately,  I only had one station to deal with...

73
Brent

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU

I ended up building a W1VLF,  AM BC filter for KA1GJU Super Station #2, since that server is the only one with an SDRPlay RXR. All others got destroyed in the lightning hit of 2019.

Here's a link to Paul's video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI6N_uVErKA

For those with short attention spans, skip out to 05:10 to see the RSP2 using the external filter, no external filter, and the RSP2 internal AM/FM BC filter.

YMMV

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Max

I think some of the answer depends on what frequencies you want to listen to? Not sure about RSPdx, but I consider my RSP2 adequate at best on LF/MF/HF due to lots of overload issues. Not sure if the RSPdx has been cured or suffers similar issues? I believe it is improved, but it does have a very similar hardware structure and chips inside, so who knows? Some on hear say it is OK (as you can see from other replies).

If your interest is mostly below 30MHz then Airspy HF+ might be a better bet. For a general all-rounder including VHF/UHF then yes, RSPdx is probably OK. Personally I now have an Hermes Lite 2 direct sampling SDR transceiver, but at the lowish price it also makes a superb HF only SDR for receive use only (up to 38MHz). As a result I now never use my RSP2 on anything below 30 MHz. Too much grief. Sick of all the many images popping up all over the place. HL2 "just works" and does so brilliantly.

Good luck.

Max

George Stein - NJ3H

I would like to thank everyone for their comments and insights.  I should have mentioned that I am looking for receiving signals above 108 MHz.  I currently have a Perseus and an Elad, so I think I am ok below that frequency.  So I am looking for something with continuous tune above 108 Megs.

So what would the experts out there recommend as a good SDR receiver for 108 and up (in frequency)?

Of course I want it to be "very" compatible with SDRC, of course.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Regards,
George, NJ3H
Redmond, Oregon USA

Max

So George, to qualify my earlier comments that I made on the very similar RSP2 regarding HF performance, I must say that on VHF/UHF I have found it satisfactory. I would guess the RSPdx is very similar. I must admit I am not a "power user" on VHF/UHF, so will leave it to the big VHF/UHF DXers to comment further on suitability or otherwise of RSPdx in this regard. For me the RSP2 works fine.

73

Max

On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 10:20 PM, George Stein - NJ3H wrote:
I would like to thank everyone for their comments and insights.  I should have mentioned that I am looking for receiving signals above 108 MHz.  I currently have a Perseus and an Elad, so I think I am ok below that frequency.  So I am looking for something with continuous tune above 108 Megs.

So what would the experts out there recommend as a good SDR receiver for 108 and up (in frequency)?

Of course I want it to be "very" compatible with SDRC, of course.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Regards,
George, NJ3H
Redmond, Oregon USA

Mark Cayton <oldjackbob@...>

Here's my RSP1A on 2 meters, notice the signal strength of the repeater at 146.700 as 90 dB above the noise floor (the small mound at the floor of that signal is repeater splatter). The little RSP1A handles that dynamic range just fine.

And here's the same radio on BCAM this afternoon, connected directly to my 80/40 fan dipole, no inline filters, lots of very strong stations (I live just a few miles from the tightest concentration of radio towers west of the Mississippi), not a hint of overload, again with 90 dB of dynamic range displayed:

--
Mark  K1LSB

David J Taylor

I would like to thank everyone for their comments and insights. I should have mentioned that I am looking for receiving signals above 108 MHz. I currently have a Perseus and an Elad, so I think I am ok below that frequency. So I am looking for something with continuous tune above 108 Megs.

So what would the experts out there recommend as a good SDR receiver for 108 and up (in frequency)?

Of course I want it to be "very" compatible with SDRC, of course.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Regards,
George, NJ3H
Redmond, Oregon USA

From 60 to 260 MHz the Airspy HF+ Discovery is pretty good:

https://airspy.com/airspy-hf-discovery/

73,
David GM8ARV
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv

Hasan Schiers N0AN

Hi George,
I have an Airspy S2 and an SDRPay RSPdx and they both play well with SDRC.

Performance wise there are clear differences and I find the RSPdx a bit deaf compared to the S2, especially on 6 meters.

When I compare the raw number of decodes on FT8 per 15 sec sequence, or the same decodes per seq using MSK144, the S2 is quite a bit more sensitive. I am driving the SDRs from my Kenwood TS-590sg antenna output port, which loses 3 dB of signal, but that has not proven to be a factor.

If you look at the specs of the RSPdx, it has a very high noise figure on HF especially. I found at my rural qth, a wideband preamp made a big difference. With the preamp, the performance of the RSPdx is equal to or better than my TS-590sg on all HF bands.
Again, the measure in number of decodes/sequence on FT8. I pay little or no attention to the raw SNRs, as they can be quite misleading due to AGC characteristics.

The preamp has caused no overload issues of any kind. I don't use the RSPdx for BC band reception as a rule, but I have no overload or intermod issues from either FM or BC stations to my work on ham radio bands, and very good antennas.

For normal HF work, the RSPdx is quite good, clearly better than the FunCube Pro+ on HF (the FC+ is excellent on satellite work with an appropriate GASfet preamp)

On 6 meters, even with the preamp, the RSPdx is not in the same league as the Airspy S2.

So, if your interests are HF, the RSPdx is fine. If VHF, not so much.
73, N0AN

Hasan

On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 4:42 AM George Stein - NJ3H via groups.io <nj3h=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Greetings,

How well does the subject receiver work with SDRC?  Are there any major issues or concerns?

Thanks for any comments.

Regards,
George, NJ3H

Patrick

Hi George,

I own both an Airspy HF+ Dual Port and a Discovery, and both are better performers above 80 MHz (better sensitivity, no overload / image / ghost freq). Max BW is "only" 912 kHz but this disadvantage is quickly forgotten as the performances are so good.
Note that these Airspy units are alors better on VLF/LF/HF frequencies.

Unfortunately, their upper limit is 260 MHz, that's why I purchased a RSPdx.

A friend of mine owns an Airspy R2 and is very satisfied.

Bob Dengler

At 8/6/2020 05:11 PM, you wrote:
Here's my RSP1A on 2 meters, notice the signal strength of the repeater at 146.700 as 90 dB above the noise floor (the small mound at the floor of that signal is repeater splatter). The little RSP1A handles that dynamic range just fine.
No, it is not "repeater splatter" - it is LO phase noise. If you try the same test @ 70 cm you'll find that "splatter" consistently 10 dB higher relative to the carrier. This is a significant problem that is driving me away from the SDRPlay product & towards Airspy: the AirSpy Mini's phase noise is 10 dB lower.

Also wonder how you can get 90 dB of dynamic range when the RSP1a's ADC is 14 bits (84 dB max. possible)? Since you're sampling at least 3.6 MHz decimation isn't coming into play.

What is the resolution bandwidth of the spectrum display?

Bob NO6B

jdow

Give the whole frequency range you want to cover. 108 MHz to high energy X-Rays is a little much to ask for. AirSpy HF+ models go to 260 MHz. AirSpy R2 makes it to about 1750 MHz. Lime USB (not the mini, please) makes it to around 6 GHz. After that you are talknig about serious money.

{^_^}

On 20200807 02:34:59, David J Taylor via groups.io wrote:

I would like to thank everyone for their comments and insights.  I should have mentioned that I am looking for receiving signals above 108 MHz.  I currently have a Perseus and an Elad, so I think I am ok below that frequency.  So I am looking for something with continuous tune above 108 Megs.

So what would the experts out there recommend as a good SDR receiver for 108 and up (in frequency)?

Of course I want it to be "very" compatible with SDRC, of course.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Regards,
George, NJ3H
Redmond, Oregon USA

From 60 to 260 MHz the Airspy HF+ Discovery is pretty good:

 https://airspy.com/airspy-hf-discovery/

73,
David GM8ARV

jdow

What are you using for an antenna? Through 30 MHz it takes a really terrible receiver to have more noise than the natural noise level picked up by moderately good antennas.
{O.O}

On 20200807 03:33:56, Hasan Schiers N0AN wrote:

[...]

Also sadly the HF+ has no 50MHz which was the deal breaker for me. I think this was a big mistake in the design, but I guess there must be a good technical reason? Otherwise from what I have read (and tried by using with HF+ with SDRC on servers) I would go with HF+ every time for HF and up to 260MHz. Also bandwidth limitation may be an issue for some of course, but that would not worry me. It's all "horses for courses" as we say here in the UK.

73

Max

On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 02:14 PM, Patrick wrote:
Hi George,

I own both an Airspy HF+ Dual Port and a Discovery, and both are better performers above 80 MHz (better sensitivity, no overload / image / ghost freq). Max BW is "only" 912 kHz but this disadvantage is quickly forgotten as the performances are so good.
Note that these Airspy units are alors better on VLF/LF/HF frequencies.

Unfortunately, their upper limit is 260 MHz, that's why I purchased a RSPdx.

A friend of mine owns an Airspy R2 and is very satisfied.

Hasan Schiers N0AN

Here are the SDRC settings using RSPdx that produce equal or better decodes/sequence compared to a Kenwood TS-590sg on 17 and 20 meters FT8:

RF Gain: 25
IF Gain: -40
AGC: OFF In radio tab
AGC: OFF in Receive Pane
Threshold: 40 dB
Audio Output Level: VBCable : 45

The wideband preamp is in line, preceded by the PIN diode protector.

TS-590sg parallel output port > PIN diode protector > Wideband Preamp > SMA Relay > RSPdx

Antenna is an 80m OCF @ 42', which is dead flat on 17m ...and shows proper SWR curves on all bands. 80-10m. It also gets heard very well, so there is nothing wrong with the antenna.

I've played around a lot with the settings and there was no combination of SDRC radio settings for the RSPdx that produced equal or more decodes than my TS-590sg, if the wideband preamp was not in place.  It got close on 20m, but still not consistently as good.

Once I went to the wideband preamp and the settings noted above, the RSPdx consistently produced an equal or greater number of decodes per sequence than the TS-590sg on FT8 on all bands 20m up thru 10 meters.

On 6 meters, the antenna is a G0KSC 5 EL LFA yagi at 52'. It is fed with 1/2" hardline. It shows 800 watts forward and 0 (yes, ZERO) reflected on 50.260 MHz using the Acom 1000's meter.

No settings for the RSPdx could equal the TS-590sg on 6 meters, no matter whether the mode was FT8 or MSK144 (meteor scatter). The preamp helped the RSPdx on 6m, but it still was mediocre compared to the TS-590sg. (again, using number of decodes per sequence as the measure)

Using the Airspy R2 on 6 meters, it greatly outperformed the RSPdx. It is VERY close to the performance of the TS-590sg, but still lacking a tiny bit. However, if there is considerable power line noise, the combination of the Airspy R2 and SDRC's Wideband DSP noise blanking results in more decodes per sequence on MSK144 (meteor scatter), than the TS-590sg. That is because the TS-590sg's blanker, while good, cannot match the performance of the SDRC wideband blanker.

This conclusion, by the way,  is based on months of daily collected data comparing the blanker in SDRC to the Kenwood TS-590sg . Devices evaluated include: FunCube Pro+,  SDRPlay RSP1, SDRPlay RSP2. Only the RSPdx has proven to be less effective than the TS-590sg on 6 meters in the face of power line noise.

As a result of these tests, I use an SMA relay so that I can use the R2 on 6 meters and the RSPdx on HF.

Again, the performance measure is strictly the number of decodes per sequence. On digital modes, it is the most easily replicable measure that makes any sense.

That's my experience, yours may be different.

73, N0AN
Hasan