key strokes in SDR radio software for a blind user

Iaen Cordell

Good morning list, I am new to SDR and have a replay SDR.

I am also blind and am after advice on the best version of Simons’s software that supports keyboard commands.

From reading this list over several months I am really looking/listening forward to this.

PS.  I wonder if we can get the water fal displays to talk with text to speech software.

73 IC.

Mag loop Simon

Hello

there appear to be lots of keyboard commands..

i have myself been exploring them to make a desktop sdr console interface..simple one that has vfo..tx..tune.maybe vox..( my post on this is to follow..)

Simon i hope will appear during the week and hopefully give a list, or say where the list is..

i know now a few, but to be honest am very new to all this sdr stuff and would prefer to allow Simon to list them..

i say this as i do not want to give incorrect information..

regards Mag loop Simon,  G0zen

Mag loop Simon

I am talking about version 3.24.. the last version.

Max

Hi Iaen

Welcome to the SDRC group. I am pretty sure that sadly there are many features of the latest version of SDRC at the moment (Version 3) that do not currently have keyboard shortcuts. One of the most obvious ones is mode selection (AM/FM/SSB etc), for example. Also filter width selection. I am not blind but I too would welcome as many shortcuts as I just prefer to be able to operate as much from the keyboard as possible.

I have a feeling that there were more shortcuts in the older version of SDRC, Version 2, which is now no longer in active development. Others on here still use V2 and will be able to advise if this is the case. Folks?

What level of shortcuts do you require? So, do you need to be able to operate absolutely everything with keyboard shortcuts, or do you have some ability to use a mouse to select some on-screen features?

At least the most important feature of all can be operated by keyboard, and that is tuning the frequency up/down using the keyboard cursor/arrow keys left and right (normal step sizes), up and down (x10 step size), although the screen cursor needs to be placed in the waterfall/spectrum area of the screen for this to be active. Personally I would like an option tick box for this to be always active with no need to hover the cursor as above, but I know Simon is not keen to offer that because of key combination conflicts. I am prepared to put up with that though and would at least like to have a selectable option to allow it if I wish. I think that would also be good for blind operators would it not?

Also direct frequency entry can be achieved with double tap of Ctrl key to bring up frequency entry box. Default is entry of frequency in KHz.

Perhaps Simon can let us know what plans for the basic operation on shortcuts as per above, i.e. mode/filter?

73

Max

On Sun, Aug 2, 2020 at 09:43 PM, Iaen Cordell wrote:

Good morning list, I am new to SDR and have a replay SDR.

I am also blind and am after advice on the best version of Simons’s software that supports keyboard commands.

From reading this list over several months I am really looking/listening forward to this.

PS.  I wonder if we can get the water fal displays to talk with text to speech software.

73 IC.

Max

Hi again Iaen

Another thought to elaborate on Simon's (G0ZEN) reply about dedicated controllers.

Quite a few on here (not me) have got Midi controllers where many functions can be mapped to buttons on the controller, in addition to frequency tuning on the "jog" wheel of course. I am sure they can chip in with what functions can and cannot be mapped to dedicated buttons on the controller?

73

Max

On Sun, Aug 2, 2020 at 09:43 PM, Iaen Cordell wrote:

Good morning list, I am new to SDR and have a replay SDR.

I am also blind and am after advice on the best version of Simons’s software that supports keyboard commands.

From reading this list over several months I am really looking/listening forward to this.

PS.  I wonder if we can get the water fal displays to talk with text to speech software.

73 IC.

Siegfried Jackstien

on midi you have mode selection ... and filter tune (upper and lower end up and down) ... and other things

ptt direct on desktop mic (usb to serial adaptor) plus ptt on midi deck ... plus hovering the mouse over tx button on screen ... and F5 ...

i do not need other functions ... maybe a filter select button additionally to the filter tune (faster switch between preprogrammed filters)

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 02.08.2020 um 23:09 schrieb Max:

[...]

From reading this list over several months I am really looking/listening forward to this.

PS.  I wonder if we can get the water fal displays to talk with text to speech software.

73 IC.

Siegfried Jackstien

hello max ..

let me jump in here

i was lucky to find a nice controller with only one jog wheel but lots of buttons ... nice thing on it is that you have a config tool where you can free programm what button should send what note ... with and without autorepeat ... and you also can programm a button (single function) to become something like a slider (analog  tuning function) ... wheel has a touch sensor (so coarse and fine tune on that one wheel) ... and with programming a few buttons as "range" function (see above) i have also the bigger tuning steps

100hz and 10hz on wheel ... 1 kc and 10 kc steps on buttons (with autorepeat when held longer)  ...

all of that is only possible cause the midi deck itself is a usb hid device and the midi config tool and driver converts that to (programmable) midi commands ... setup was a bit tricky till i found out how to change the buttons to range functions and how to configure sdrc to my needs

but at the end i have a good working setup ... mouse or keyboard are not used very often now

what functions are possible and what not ... just open the midi config page in sdrc and see what simon already added

greetz sigi dg9bfc

ps a user made an arduino controller that has both ... midi commands and keyboard shortcuts

Am 02.08.2020 um 23:18 schrieb Max:

Hi again Iaen

Another thought to elaborate on Simon's (G0ZEN) reply about dedicated controllers.

Quite a few on here (not me) have got Midi controllers where many functions can be mapped to buttons on the controller, in addition to frequency tuning on the "jog" wheel of course. I am sure they can chip in with what functions can and cannot be mapped to dedicated buttons on the controller?

73

Max

On Sun, Aug 2, 2020 at 09:43 PM, Iaen Cordell wrote:

Good morning list, I am new to SDR and have a replay SDR.

I am also blind and am after advice on the best version of Simons’s software that supports keyboard commands.

From reading this list over several months I am really looking/listening forward to this.

PS.  I wonder if we can get the water fal displays to talk with text to speech software.

73 IC.

Radioman ZeroZero

Hi Siegfried,

What is your controller called?  I'm interested in the repeat function.
--
Thanks Steve M0ZEH

Siegfried Jackstien

controller is eks xp5 ...

and the midi agent is what makes the controller speak midi

dg9bfc sigi

Am 03.08.2020 um 20:32 schrieb Radioman ZeroZero:

Hi Siegfried,

What is your controller called?  I'm interested in the repeat function.
--
Thanks Steve M0ZEH

Max

Seems no longer available Sigi? Do you (or does anyone) know of a current equivalent?

73

Max

On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 01:09 PM, Siegfried Jackstien wrote:

controller is eks xp5 ...

and the midi agent is what makes the controller speak midi

dg9bfc sigi

Siegfried Jackstien

near any midi deck can be used ... so just search for one with enough buttons and knobs ...

i searched for a single deck (and lucky found the xp5) ... yes its no longer available ... (as far as i know the company does not even exist anymore ... they were good ... but calculated to close on the knife edge ...)

look for a deck with enough functions ... and ... with a mapping/customizing software where you can then programm auto repeat or other things

configure console is easy ... select function you wanna configure ... press the button on deck (or turn knob or wheel) ... and store what console got from the deck ... quite easy

configure of a button or knob in the mapping software depends on the deck used ... so it would not help to describe that here

greetz sigi dg9bfc