Mini SDRC version?

Jorge Garzón Gutiérrez <iberiaDX@...>

Hi,
I don't know if this has been discussed here in the past but I know many dxers (including me) that we are not attracted or interested to fx above 300MHz or 70cm band as upper limit. SDRC is the most amazing program I've used and logically many newest features will came in the microwave region, satellites, new and more complex receivers, etc... as the number of electronic toys arise.

Every of these new implemented features need more CPU power and increasing memory consumption. Would it has a choice to keep a simpler SDRC version for these lower bands? (would say up to 70cm or 300MHz, or similar).

It would be an interesting way to balance CPU power with the most interesting bands from VLF to VHF.

Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU

Jorge,

   CPU usage has actually gone down over the years while more features are added. You can thank Simon for his dedication and perseverance in constantly improving SDRC! Man and his dog have to eat and drink. 😉

   To Simon's credit, I can use SDRC on a 64bit, Windows 7 Netbook with an Atom processor as I normally use SDCR, with one RXR open, somewhere in the HF band. Hardly using SDRC to its full potential for sure, but it is workable with such a primitive computer! His minimum computer specs are here BTW:
https://www.sdr-radio.com/computer#SystemRequirements

   What computer are you using that has problems with SDRC? Processor? Memory? GPU?

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Tom Crosbie G6PZZ

Hi Jorge,

I read an article yesterday that tells how scientists have found a way to generate frequencies in the THz band.

We’ll soon be building Yagi’s from paperclips and staples…

73 Tom G6PZZ

Nr Chesterfield | NE Derbyshire | UK | IO93he

HF250 | RSPdx | Sentinel 4 | RM50 | TR2

15m MLB | MTA | D707

I don't know if this has been discussed here in the past but I know many dxers (including me) that we are not attracted or interested to fx above 300MHz or 70cm band as upper limit. SDRC is the most amazing program I've used and logically many newest features will came in the microwave region, satellites, new and more complex receivers, etc... as the number of electronic toys arise.

Every of these new implemented features need more CPU power and increasing memory consumption. Would it has a choice to keep a simpler SDRC version for these lower bands? (would say up to 70cm or 300MHz, or similar).

It would be an interesting way to balance CPU power with the most interesting bands from VLF to VHF.

Siegfried Jackstien

you do not need to activate sat tracking if not needed (as an example)

how low will you go with your cpu??

i can use sdrc on my old and slow core2duo ... or on my (not much faster) atom tablet ...

running fullduplex with the pluto on qo100

main thing that needs cpu power is how much bandwidth your sdr delivers to the soft, how fine (or coarse) you set spectrum view, what additional "spectrum" boxes are open, how many parallel receivers active etc etc ... so ... depending what is used i can tune cpu load down to a few percent (minimum seen on the atom cpu was 5 % only) ... or when all bings and boings are active and open its much higher (can easy go up to complete freeze that slowish atom cpu) ... so ... it all depends on the settings in the soft if it runs fast and smooth ... or if it eats up cpu power like myself potatoe chips on a saturday evening film on tv (grin)

what the upper limit of frequency is ... depends on the sdr used ... not on the software!!

what of the new implemented features needs additional cpu power depends on if you use them!!! (so with some tweaking you can get cpu load very low even if simon adds more and more functions)

greetz sigi dg9bfc

ps there will NEVER be a mini sdrc i think

Am 21.07.2020 um 07:24 schrieb Jorge Garzón Gutiérrez via groups.io:

Hi,
I don't know if this has been discussed here in the past but I know many dxers (including me) that we are not attracted or interested to fx above 300MHz or 70cm band as upper limit. SDRC is the most amazing program I've used and logically many newest features will came in the microwave region, satellites, new and more complex receivers, etc... as the number of electronic toys arise.

Every of these new implemented features need more CPU power and increasing memory consumption. Would it has a choice to keep a simpler SDRC version for these lower bands? (would say up to 70cm or 300MHz, or similar).

It would be an interesting way to balance CPU power with the most interesting bands from VLF to VHF.

Simon Brown

There’s a cheap & not bad 122GHz kit available, uses a horn.

I don't know if this has been discussed here in the past but I know many dxers (including me) that we are not attracted or interested to fx above 300MHz or 70cm band as upper limit. SDRC is the most amazing program I've used and logically many newest features will came in the microwave region, satellites, new and more complex receivers, etc... as the number of electronic toys arise.

Every of these new implemented features need more CPU power and increasing memory consumption. Would it has a choice to keep a simpler SDRC version for these lower bands? (would say up to 70cm or 300MHz, or similar).

It would be an interesting way to balance CPU power with the most interesting bands from VLF to VHF.

Simon Brown

Also,

Unless you start an option the CPU will stay low. Memory will be managed by Windows, it’s very good at that.

No plans for a mini version at all.

   CPU usage has actually gone down over the years while more features are added. You can thank Simon for his dedication and perseverance in constantly improving SDRC! Man and his dog have to eat and drink. 😉

   To Simon's credit, I can use SDRC on a 64bit, Windows 7 Netbook with an Atom processor as I normally use SDCR, with one RXR open, somewhere in the HF band. Hardly using SDRC to its full potential for sure, but it is workable with such a primitive computer! His minimum computer specs are here BTW:
https://www.sdr-radio.com/computer#SystemRequirements

   What computer are you using that has problems with SDRC? Processor? Memory? GPU?

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Jorge Garzón Gutiérrez <iberiaDX@...>

Hi,
My CPU is working well and CPU use is less than 18%, so I have no problems at all with it. I was just sharing my thoughts with the community, and now I know more about how SDRC works thanks to all of you. None of my questions are aimed to claim, but to know more and better.

And of course, Simon is a kind of digital superhero for me 😉

But a last question... CPU and GPU usage must be balanced or can show different percentages?
73's
--
Jorge Garzón. EB7EFA / EA1036 SWL
QTH 43°15'N - 03°56'W / IN83ag • Cantabria (España-Spain)

Different! GPU is the graphics card.

My CPU is working well and CPU use is less than 18%, so I have no problems at all with it. I was just sharing my thoughts with the community, and now I know more about how SDRC works thanks to all of you. None of my questions are aimed to claim, but to know more and better.

And of course, Simon is a kind of digital superhero for me 😉

But a last question... CPU and GPU usage must be balanced or can show different percentages?
73's
--
Jorge Garzón. EB7EFA / EA1036 SWL
QTH 43°15'N - 03°56'W / IN83ag • Cantabria (España-Spain)
Blog: IberiaDX Twitter: @IberiaDX

Jorge Garzón Gutiérrez <iberiaDX@...>

Understandable, then! Thanks.