Ettus compatibility #sdrconsolev3 #ettus

jolly_thompson@...

Hey there,
I'm planning to get one of those SDRs:
  • USRP X300
  • USRP N210
  • USRP N200

I've looked at https://www.sdr-radio.com/ettus-research

Given the fact that the page says "Should support all Ettus hardware except the E3x0 and X3x0" but then lists the X310 as working but only with "limited support", I just wanted to make sure which of the devices listed above are compatible with SDR Console v3, especially before spending a few thousand euros.

Does SDR Console support both Ethernet and USB for the Ettus devices?

Thanks a lot

Questions:

  • Why Ettus?
  • What’s your goal?

It’s unlikely that I will add transmit support for Ettus, it’s expensive stuff compared to the alternatives.

Given the fact that the page says "Should support all Ettus hardware except the E3x0 and X3x0" but then lists the X310 as working but only with "limited support", I just wanted to make sure which of the devices listed above are compatible with SDR Console v3, especially before spending a few thousand euros.

Does SDR Console support both Ethernet and USB for the Ettus devices?

Thanks a lot

Siegfried Jackstien

cheap and network capable?? use a pluto plus ethernet dongle

mount pluto in al case and change tcxo to make it stable (or use external reference)

http://www.dd1us.de/Downloads/Connecting%20the%20ADALM%20Pluto%20to%20the%20Local%20Area%20Network%20v2.pdf

greetz sigi dg9bfc sigi

Am 11.07.2020 um 05:33 schrieb Simon Brown:

Hi,

Questions:

  • Why Ettus?
  • What’s your goal?

It’s unlikely that I will add transmit support for Ettus, it’s expensive stuff compared to the alternatives.

Given the fact that the page says "Should support all Ettus hardware except the E3x0 and X3x0" but then lists the X310 as working but only with "limited support", I just wanted to make sure which of the devices listed above are compatible with SDR Console v3, especially before spending a few thousand euros.

Does SDR Console support both Ethernet and USB for the Ettus devices?

Thanks a lot

jolly_thompson@...

Hey,
I want to use Ettus because it seems to satisfy my requirements,
my goal is to use the SDR for OpenBTS, run GNU Radio and have access to the FPGA.
And because it supports up to ~50MS/s via ethernet.

For the SDR Console part, I only want to know about the receiving capabilities, transmit is not important when using SDR Console.

So does SDR Console support the X300, N210, N200 in terms of receiving.

Kind regards

You’ll not get 50 Msps I’m afraid. Ettus is very Linux-oriented, UHD.dll isn’t great on Windows. From memory 20Msps is very doable, more depends on the computer.

I do believe it works on the X300, there’s an X300 owner on the list who can verify.

I want to use Ettus because it seems to satisfy my requirements,
my goal is to use the SDR for OpenBTS, run GNU Radio and have access to the FPGA.
And because it supports up to ~50MS/s via ethernet.

For the SDR Console part, I only want to know about the receiving capabilities, transmit is not important when using SDR Console.

So does SDR Console support the X300, N210, N200 in terms of receiving.

Kind regards

ray roberge

Console works great with X310, N210 and B205.
As Simon says, the Bandwidth is limited by the connection method of the host computer. 20 MHz Bandwidth max reliably with X310.
When you use GNU Radio in UBUNTU the X310 supports Two 50 MHz Bandwidths with a SPF Connection but without all the neat features of SDR Console.
Best Regards,
Ray

Barry Jablonski

One additional data point -- I can run a B200 @ 28MHz on a fairly powerful Win10 machine with no problems.  At 56 MHz SDR Console runs
but the audio is choppy and unusable, even when setting the Buffer size option to 4x.  See attached.

Barry
WB2ZXJ

Larry Dodd

Barry or anyone,
For an Ettus N210 how is the connection to SDRConsole made? USB or with a network IP address?
Thanks.
Larry, K4LED

On Jul 12, 2020, at 9:13 AM, Barry Jablonski <bjablonski@...> wrote:

One additional data point -- I can run a B200 @ 28MHz on a fairly powerful Win10 machine with no problems.  At 56 MHz SDR Console runs
but the audio is choppy and unusable, even when setting the Buffer size option to 4x.  See attached.

Barry
WB2ZXJ

Attachments:

Barry Jablonski

Hi Larry,

The Ettus B200 uses a USB 3.0 interface.  I'm not sure about the N210.

Barry
WB2ZXJ

Larry Dodd

Barry
Ok thanks.
Larry

On Jul 12, 2020, at 10:49 AM, Barry Jablonski <bjablonski@...> wrote:

Hi Larry,

The Ettus B200 uses a USB 3.0 interface.  I'm not sure about the N210.

Barry
WB2ZXJ

Larry Dodd

Barry
I have been waiting over a year on the Elad S3 to become available and I'm thinking of getting an Ettus B210 in the mean time.  Is all you use are the drivers from Ettus? Is there any need for GNU to get it to talk to SDRconsole?
Thanks.
larryy, K4LED

On 7/12/2020 11:02:19 AM, Larry Dodd <101science@...> wrote:

Barry
Ok thanks.
Larry

On Jul 12, 2020, at 10:49 AM, Barry Jablonski <bjablonski@...> wrote:

Hi Larry,

The Ettus B200 uses a USB 3.0 interface.  I'm not sure about the N210.

Barry
WB2ZXJ

Barry Jablonski

Hi Larry,

I don't know GNU.  For SDR Console I just installed the latest Ettus stuff (uhd_3.15.0.0-release_Winx64_VS2019) in the default locations and all was well.
In the past I had problems getting Ettus to run -- it was somewhat convoluted.

Follow Simon's info and you should be good to go.

     https://www.sdr-radio.com/ettus-research

Barry
WB2ZXJ

Larry Dodd

Barry
Perfect.  Hopefully the new Ettus releases have solved some of their problems.  Thanks for Simon's link that is great information. Appreciate this very much.  Elad regarding the S3 says to keep waiting, I am.
Thanks Barry.
Larry, K4LED

On 7/12/2020 1:19:58 PM, Barry Jablonski <bjablonski@...> wrote:

Hi Larry,

I don't know GNU.  For SDR Console I just installed the latest Ettus stuff (uhd_3.15.0.0-release_Winx64_VS2019) in the default locations and all was well.
In the past I had problems getting Ettus to run -- it was somewhat convoluted.

Follow Simon's info and you should be good to go.

     https://www.sdr-radio.com/ettus-research

Barry
WB2ZXJ

ray roberge

N210 is Ethernet.

Ray

Sent from my phone.

Larry Dodd

Yes. The advantage of ethernet over USB is faster speed and wider bandwidth. But the cost is higher also.
Larry

On Jul 12, 2020, at 2:20 PM, ray roberge via groups.io <rayroberge@...> wrote:

N210 is Ethernet.

Ray

Sent from my phone.

Erik. M0MWF

Actually, my B210 on USB3 streams more bandwidth than my N200 on GigE.

My B210 comfortably runs at 28MHz bandwidth (56MHz viewable, but unusable audio), and is also 'snappier' to use over USB, compared with the ethernet-connected USRPs. Runs 32MHz on HDSDR via EXTIO easily too.

My N200 gives 20MHz OK, some drop-outs at 25MHz, and is a similar story for the X310 over GigE.

My X310 over 10GE, can comfortably show 40MHz bandwidth, on a single 10GE interface (remember it has two), drawing a continuous ~1.3Gb/s on the NIC without issue. I don't have any 120MHz-wide daughtherboards to play with yet, as I'm waiting for more 'covid cast-offs' from Fleabay to try that.

Erik. M0MWF

If your interest lays with USRPs (as mine does), you'll want a 3rd-gen USRP, such as X3xx, given RFNoC is the direction they are going in. You'll also want the clock module.

And as Ray has said previously, and my testing shows, the UBX series daughterboards seem to be by far, the best.

If I didn't mind a divorce, it would be an N320 for me. Seems to be an 'all in one' box, 2x2 MIMO, 3MHz to 6GHz, 200MHz bandwidth / 250MS/s, QSPF+ port, stand-alone operation, built-in GPSDO. Though I've no idea on the NF or anything in real life, as I've not used one yet. But it is in my 'sights' though...

UHD under windows is a PIA in my opinion. Needlessly complicated, and Ettus should sort this out. Though we are not the intended end-user in their eyes, they might say..

HTHs.

Charly DF5VAE

Hello,

I got an Ettus N200/wbs daughterboard working in SDR console - after updating to last firmware.
Before the Ettus driver reported a software discrepancy.

However I cound not manage to run the full 40MHz bandwith - up to 2 Mhz Bw was ok, beyond it started stuttering - either limitation of my hardware (older I7-2800) or just too much data for >SDR console.

Tried same setup with X310
Could not connect with 10GB optical cable setup (never used 10GB optical network - so may be other issues).
Managed to run succesful diagnose with 1GB adapter (win 7/64) and x310(one 40MHZ WBS card fitted)
.
SDR console works with very narrow bandwith, but blocks, stutters or freeze with higher bandwith settings.
Hardware or software limitations likely.

73, Charly DF5VAE

Larry Dodd

Charles
Since the N200 output is to an IP address exactly what did you do to get SDR-Console to connect to the N200?
Thanks,
Larry, K4LED

On Aug 4, 2020, at 6:01 AM, Charly DF5VAE <df5vae@...> wrote:

Hello,

I got an Ettus N200/wbs daughterboard working in SDR console - after updating to last firmware.
Before the Ettus driver reported a software discrepancy.

However I cound not manage to run the full 40MHz bandwith - up to 2 Mhz Bw was ok, beyond it started stuttering - either limitation of my hardware (older I7-2800) or just too much data for >SDR console.

Tried same setup with X310
Could not connect with 10GB optical cable setup (never used 10GB optical network - so may be other issues).
Managed to run succesful diagnose with 1GB adapter (win 7/64) and x310(one 40MHZ WBS card fitted)
.
SDR console works with very narrow bandwith, but blocks, stutters or freeze with higher bandwith settings.
Hardware or software limitations likely.

73, Charly DF5VAE

Mark A

Hi,

Just bear in mind, this box can eat bandwidth on your local LAN.Make sure you are using decent branded ethernet switches.

Most Home switches don't do very well when you start chucking huge amounts of data around, especially UDP (I've crashed netgears in the past.) I had a really subtle issue which also affected my apache, which tooks months to track down. (mss)

I don't wish to willy wave, but I've manged to run 850mb/s for 25MHz according to the NMS on this gigabit network.  but audio was choppy/unusable, However this install of Win10 was trashed by MS at the last major update as now plagued by audio issues, but can manage a mere 5MHz, with broadcast FM/RDS/PI.with a nice catch of a south London pirate last night which the RSP at 2MHz couldn't quite get.

The CPU etc, was not sweating.  PC is a rebuilt server, 3.6Gig Oct Core, so again, plenty of ger-runt available.

To get the N2x0 seen by SDRconsole, a little work is needed with downloading drivers and you -may- have to update the N2x0 which is best done from a linux box as it needs python (voodoo...)  Good luck/

Best 73 de Mark.