SDRuno Not Recognizing New RSPdx #sdruno

Tom_D

Bought an RSPdx, downloaded SDRuno v1.33 & cannot get SDRuno to recognize the RSPdx.

Starting uno gives me this - "Error: No available RSPs found. Please check USB cables, device drivers or if the RSP is in use with another application. This SDRuno instance will now exit." I uninstalled & reinstalled SDRuno 4x's but no dice. Tried 2 different new USB cables on both my USB2 & USB3 connections, didn't help. Windows 10 device mgr. sees the RSPdx but says there's a driver problem - "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)". But when I have Windows try & update the driver, it says that the correct/latest drivers are installed for the device.

Just for the heck of it, I downloaded SDRConsole, same thing, it couldn't see the RSPdx.

What can I do to fix this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tom

martin m3ghe

Install SDRuno as administrator.
If that doesn't help install the API and driver on it's own, from  https://www.sdrplay.com/windl4.php
--
Martin m3ghe

Tom_D

Martin,
Thanks for your reply.

Install SDRuno as administrator.
I tried this & it didn't help.

If that doesn't help install the API and driver on it's own, from https://www.sdrplay.com/windl4.php
I'll try this next.

I got an e-mail from SDRplay support saying I should turn off my virus programs when installing as they may block some things from downloading properly so I'll do that as well.

Tom

Tom_D

Tried installing the API & driver on their own along with turning off my virus programs but none of that helped. Uno still can't recognize the RSPdx. I tried to have Windows try & update the driver again, and again it says that the correct/latest drivers are installed for the device.

Anyone have any further suggestions. This is frustrating.

Tom

Dennis Matzen

Just making sure you know that when you install the SDRPlay software the receiver must be disconnected. There is a warning in the installer about this. I would try the following:

1. Disconnect the receiver from the PC
2. Uninstall all SDRPlay software
3. Reboot
4. Install SDRUno (do not plug in receiver until directed to so so)
5. Start SDRUno and make sure it can see the receiver
6. Shutdown SDRUno
7. Start Console
8. Delete any receiver definitions for the SDRPlay receivers
9. Add a new definition for the SDRdx (using the V3 definition)
--
Dennis
KA6FUB

Tom_D

Dennis,
Thanks for your reply.

I didn't plug in the RSPdx until the installer prompted me to. As for your steps above, I've done 1 thru 4 numerous times but #5 is the problem, uno never sees the RSPdx.

As for Console, I did 7 thru 9 but no dice. When I click on the V3 definition I get:

SDRplayAPIService: The service is running.
opening
check service version, require 3.06
lock device list
get devices
devices = 0
unlock device list
close

Below all this, the OK button is grayed out so I can't proceed any further. So it's saying it can't see any devices. It also says it requires 3.06 but I already downloaded & installed SDRplay_RSP_API-Windows-3.06 as Martin suggested above.

Tom

Bjarne Mjelde

My suggestion is: Open a support ticket at SDRPlay. They are very helpful. Btw I assume you are aware that the device MUST be disconnected until prompted by the installation procedure.
--
Bjarne Mjelde
arcticdx.blogspot.com

Tom_D

As I mentioned previously, I did not connect the device until prompted to by the installer.
I have already talked to SDRplay support. The couple of suggestions they provided did not work so I am going to have to give them remote access to my computer to investigate.

Dennis Matzen

Tom, if uno cannot find the RSPdx I don't think Console has a chance.

It sounds as if this unit has never worked.  Could be the RSPdx is defective.
--
Dennis
KA6FUB

I haven't been following this thread, so this suggestion may have been made:

  • USB cable may be defective.
  • Try a different USB port.

As I mentioned previously, I did not connect the device until prompted to by the installer.

I have already talked to SDRplay support. The couple of suggestions they provided did not work so I am going to have to give them remote access to my computer to investigate.

Bjarne Mjelde

OK, messages crossed each other.
--
Bjarne Mjelde
arcticdx.blogspot.com

Tom_D

Simon,

I've tried 2 good quality cables - a new 6' Tripp-Lite USB2 cable w/attached ferrites and a new 6" NXT cable without ferrites in both my USB2 & USB3 ports.

martin m3ghe

Just a thought, are you installing all of this to their default locations or are picking elsewhere?
If you are, uninstall and install using defaults.
--
Martin m3ghe

Tom_D

I'm using all the default locations Martin

Tom_D

Well, after having SDRplay support poke around in my computer for 2 1/2 hrs, this morning, I think we've found the root of the problem. Basically, Windows 10 was treating the RSP driver as unsigned (even though it was) & wouldn't allow it to load & install. A security feature in Win10 called SECURE BOOT was the problem.
Secure boot - "Protects the system against malicious software applications as well as unauthorized OS loading during start up....... software or firmware having 'signed approved keys' are only allowed for execution. Secure boot also prevents rootkits and malware attacks to load on the system by blocking them."
The solution is to go into the BIOS & turn off secure boot which means "Disabling secure boot on Windows 10 means, you are making your computer vulnerable to virus attacks and unauthorized software installations". And in order to re-enable secure boot the computer will have to be reset to its original factory state! So I'm not sure what I want to do at this point.

--> Can any RSPdx users check to see if Secure Boot is enabled on their Win10 computers. Go to UPDATE & SECURITY, WINDOWS SECURITY, OPEN WINDOWS SECURITY, DEVICE SECURITY, SECURE BOOT is the 3rd item down & tells you if it's on.

I am not understanding how all the RSPdx/Win10 users installed this with no problem while all coincidentally had Secure Boot turned off. My Win10 installation was just a standard install and had Secure Boot turned on. The SDRplay support guy said this was the first time he's come across this in 2 years of solving problems.

Tom

Simon Brown

Tom,

I'm a tad sceptical here, I think there's another villain in play. Given the many, many thousands of SDRplay installations this would have arisen before.

I would consider a nasty virus/trojan, and/or badly behaving anti-virus/security software.

* What's the PC make - DELL, ASUS, ...? I'm wondering about some vendor-specific security.
* Are you running any anti-virus?
* Did you force a new download just in case the original was borked?

I would:

* Run a full disk check on the C drive.
* Run Malwarebytes 'just in case'.

[...]

Dewey

Agreed! I would never turn off Secure Boot during normal operation as that is one of Micro$oft's better protections. Unsigned drivers are a very easy work-around requiring a one-time advanced startup (Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Troubleshoot > Advanced > Startup Settings > Restart) and selecting the "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" option when the system reboots. I have a couple pre-Window 10 driver's where I have to do this and once it's done at install, I'm never bothered about the drivers again. However with all that said, I still agree that it appears that "something else" may be going on here.

Dewey

[...]

- My laptop is an ASUS Q505U i5 w/SSD hard drive
- I use Malwarebytes Premium & Windows Defender
- Yes, I downloaded fresh installs 4 or 5 times from the SPRplay website
- Ran checkdisk on C drive - all is OK
- Malwarebytes scan reports no problems.

Thanks
Tom

Hasan Schiers N0AN

On a related matter, I have an RSPdx arriving later this week. I currently have an RSP2 working on the same computer. Is it safe to assume that the RSPdx will be recognized by SDRC (and of course the O/S in Device Manager), by simply plugging it into a USB port on the same machine?

What I'm asking is if the RSP2 is recognized, then that means a driver was properly installed for it. Is it true that the very same driver that is already installed should recognize the SDRPlay RSPdx?

Win10 Pro, btw on a Refurb Lenovo Core I5 with 8 gB ram.

73, N0AN
Hasan

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 12:39 PM Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:
[...]

OK,

If you have Malwarebytes Premium then I would be happy with that. It would be interesting to see the error message about the driver not being signed. You should be able to view a signed file and see the info - you can do this with my kits for example.

Code signing certificates aren't cheap, costs quite a lot but gives computers, anti-virus etc. less of a headache.

I wonder whether the certificate couldn't be verified?