Off Topic Request

John S Henry - KI4JPL

Hello All,

I have an odd request, if not permitted, then please remove... thanks.
I have an application that uses any one of a handful of different SDRs, e.g. RTL-SDR, SDRplay RSPduo, HackRFOne, etc. etc.
But, I want to extend the receiver coverage to include up to 6GHz.
I do not need a transmitter, just a receiver.
Does anyone know of a receiver only SDR that follows normal standard SDR interfacing that covers up to 6GHz?
I know the HackRFOne and the bladeRF 2.0 do go up to 6GHz, but I don't need a transmitter, nor the extra cost of it.

Thanks in advance,
73, KI4JPL
John

martin m3ghe

Ideally you want a C band LNB, then you can use any of the radios you mention. But finding a cheap one maybe not so easy.

Martin

Siegfried Jackstien

go and get a pluto

ok you wrote tx is not needed (count that as a bonus)

with the tx and rx you can use it as an analyzer (to sweep filters or measure antennas) ... (yes another bonus ... you get a measurement device with your sdr)

i do not know any cheaper sdr that goes up to 6 gig

dg9bfc sigi

Am 29.05.2020 um 20:20 schrieb John S Henry - KI4JPL:

Hello All,

I have an odd request, if not permitted, then please remove... thanks.
I have an application that uses any one of a handful of different SDRs, e.g. RTL-SDR, SDRplay RSPduo, HackRFOne, etc. etc.
But, I want to extend the receiver coverage to include up to 6GHz.
I do not need a transmitter, just a receiver.
Does anyone know of a receiver only SDR that follows normal standard SDR interfacing that covers up to 6GHz?
I know the HackRFOne and the bladeRF 2.0 do go up to 6GHz, but I don't need a transmitter, nor the extra cost of it.

Thanks in advance,
73, KI4JPL
John

David L. Wilson

Get the HackRF1. Yes, it can transmit but many only use it to receive. And there is software out there for it. You are not going to find anything cheaper for what you want. Chinese versions can be bought for about $150 in a case and they are fine. (In fact, sad to say, recently I was involved in a project where US manufactured versions had issues that the Chinese did not despite supposedly being the same design and the US cost more).

I have a LimeSDR Mini and a USRP but available software makes the HackRF1 the first choice.
--
David L. Wilson

jdow

Note that there is no standard SDR interface.

The x to 6GHz front ends that come to mind are "if you have to ask how much they cost they are not for you."

The ADALM-Pluto officially covers up to 3.8 GHz. It uses the AD9363 transceiver chip which appears to be an AD9361 that did not meet full specifications. So it MIGHT work, after a fashion, up to 6 GHz if you get a lucky break on the chip in any given ADALM-Pluto. (Some of the old ones had a real 9361 in them. But you'd have to find somebody who wanted to sell such a box in full working order on E-Bay or something.)

{^_^}

On 20200529 13:20:51, John S Henry - KI4JPL wrote:
Hello All,
I have an odd request, if not permitted, then please remove... thanks.
I have an application that uses any one of a handful of different SDRs, e.g. RTL-SDR, SDRplay RSPduo, HackRFOne, etc. etc.
But, I want to extend the receiver coverage to include up to 6GHz.
I do not need a transmitter, just a receiver.
Does anyone know of a receiver only SDR that follows normal standard SDR interfacing that covers up to 6GHz?
I know the HackRFOne and the bladeRF 2.0 do go up to 6GHz, but I don't need a transmitter, nor the extra cost of it.
Thanks in advance,
73, KI4JPL
John

Stu C <stu@...>

I keep waiting to see if anyone starts producing a decent down convertor.
The electrosense project seems to have not had the uptake they hoped, surprised people didn't want to "contribute their local rf spectrum and data sniffing to corporations" that want to grab it all, for free....

But anyway, I was after a convertor, not sure if anyone here has actually tried it.
https://github.com/electrosense/hardware

Stu

Ray, W4BYG <w4byg@...>

I have a never used outside, California Amplifier phase locked block down converter for C-band 3.625 to 4.2 MHz, model 140001.  it has 20 db gain and requires +16 to 24 VDC at 250 ma.
It outputs 950 to 1525 MHz.  It has an "N' female input and an "F" output.  20 degree noise temperature.  It was used only for a few lab tests.  I have the original data sheet.  It is missing the cover which would not be hard to replicate.

It is trading material, or make offer.  What have you?
Ray, W4BYG
37312

On 5/29/2020 21:50, martin m3ghe wrote:
Ideally you want a C band LNB, then you can use any of the radios you mention. But finding a cheap one maybe not so easy.

Martin

--
They say a smart person learns from their mistakes.  A
wise person learns from the mistakes of others.

David L. Wilson

On 5/29/2020 7:37 PM, David L. Wilson wrote:
Get the HackRF1. Yes, it can transmit but many only use it to receive. And there is software out there for it.  You are not going to find anything cheaper for what you want.  Chinese versions can be bought for about $150 in a case and they are fine. (In fact, sad to say, recently I was involved in a project where US manufactured versions had issues that the Chinese did not despite supposedly being the same design and the US cost more).
I have a LimeSDR Mini and a USRP but available software makes the HackRF1 the first choice.
I should have also added, you will not find anything cheaper that that nor will you find anything with more free useful software.

Programs that would with it include Universal Radio Hacker and (writen just for it) HackRF Sweep SA.

--
David L. Wilson

Siegfried Jackstien

in my view the pluto beats the hack rf ...

dg9bfc sigi

Am 30.05.2020 um 22:19 schrieb David L. Wilson via groups.io:

On 5/29/2020 7:37 PM, David L. Wilson wrote:
Get the HackRF1. Yes, it can transmit but many only use it to receive. And there is software out there for it.  You are not going to find anything cheaper for what you want.  Chinese versions can be bought for about $150 in a case and they are fine. (In fact, sad to say, recently I was involved in a project where US manufactured versions had issues that the Chinese did not despite supposedly being the same design and the US cost more).

I have a LimeSDR Mini and a USRP but available software makes the HackRF1 the first choice.
I should have also added, you will not find anything cheaper that that nor will you find anything with more free useful software.

Programs that would with it include Universal Radio Hacker and (writen just for it) HackRF Sweep SA.

David J Taylor

in my view the pluto beats the hack rf ...

dg9bfc sigi

Seconded. 12-bit IIRC, not 8-bit.

David
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu