Topics

Possible Fix For Stuttering / Slowdown #sdrconsolev3 #possibly

David Jackson

If you are experiencing stuttering / slow down / lag issues when using SDR-Console V3 on Windows 10, try disabling Game Mode under All Settings > Gaming > Game Mode.
Please leave feedback with your experience with this possible fix. Thanks.

Ian DXer

Hi David,

I thought after making your recommended change that it might have fixed my audio stuttering with SDR-Console under 10 windows.
'Seamed' to have fixed the issue at the times I checked within 48 hours. But then afterwards the Audio stuffer buffer issues returned.
For me the stuttering problem is ALWAYS associated with a large audio buffer figure. Usually any figure higher than 40ms it occurs and intolerable when buffer
gets above 100ms.
I've read where people pipe their SDR-Console audio into VLC via VB Cable & yes that bypasses the audio stutter problem for me with SDR-Console,
but it's a little bother having to do this, especially when the program worked for me under Windows 7.

I never had this issue with my old 2008 era Windows 7 PC with quad core - used until October 2019.
Then on purchase of a friend's old Core i7 3770K (32GB memory) PC with Windows 10 with 'fresh' install of Windows 10 on SSD, I've had this annoying issue.
With the (Win 10 PC) Gigabyte motherboard there is no recent audio driver updates as per Simon's suggestion.
No changes to SDR console's Tools-->Options-->Audio-->Playback-->Buffering makes any 'improvements' to problem as per Simon's suggestions to others in past.

Is suspect it's a Windows 10 issue or some other software issue rather than Simon's program, but I'm at a loss at how to fix....

My PC uses motherboard onboard Audio.
Gigabyte don't provide motherboard support for motherboard issues on cards older than 3 years so I 'bombed out' there.
VIA (audio chipset) support is as good as useless.
They seam to refer uses to Microsoft for such issues. I haven't approached them yet, but SDR-Console is the only audio program that causes this issue.
2. Although maybe an entirely separate issue; I don't get the 'stereo-mix' option with the existing audio drivers (an annoyance when using Audacity -
I have to use VB cable to record from internet, as usage of WASAPI not working with Audacity. Also need to alter System sound settings in Control Panel.

I was wondering if purchasing a add-in PCIe audio card might help with these two issues?
Would however like to solve the issues without additional hardware expenditure (if possible?)

I should also mention when I upgraded the parents  PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10 - this audio stuttering with SDR-Console problem also newly developed.

Any suggestions on how fix this audio stutter issue of SDR-Console with Windows 10 would be greatly appreciated.

Ian

M0ZEH <m0zeh@...>

Hi David,
Is your soundcard set to 48khz input and output in Windows settings?
Thanks Steve m0zeh

Larry Ewan

Here’s how I fixed it on both of my systems that were stuttering:

  1. Start SDRC and ignore the stuttering for now
  2. Control-Alt-Delete
  3. Select Task Manager
  4. Click on the details tab (you may have to change to the comprehensive view).
  5. Scroll down to SDR Console.exe
  6. Right click on SDR Console.exe
  7. Choose Set Priority
  8. Select Realtime
  9. Verify the change by clicking the button and close the Task Manager.

You should now be able to enjoy stutter free listening.

Larry N9JY

From: <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> on behalf of Ian DXer <baxterinoz@...>
Date: Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 9:40 PM
To: <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Possible Fix For Stuttering / Slowdown #sdrconsolev3 #possibly

[...]

jdow

Realtime works. I'd recommend seeing of High works. That SHOULD be enough. SDRC has an option to run at "Above normal". That makes it happen every time. And it that priority is enough to make it work then Bob's your uncle.
{^_^}

*From: *<main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> on behalf of Ian DXer <baxterinoz@...>
*Date: *Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 9:40 PM
*To: *<main@SDR-Radio.groups.io>
[...]

Hi Joanne & Larry,

Thanks for your kind replies.

Larry I implemented the changes you suggested. It didn't appear to make any difference, but I certainly
can see many reasons why it should improve or fix the problem :-)
(Task manager (TM) changes required every time SDRC opened since TM changes don't stick,
probably a utility around that one could make it though...)

Although I didn't mention it in my post I'd been strongly thinking it must be some kind of Windows (or other app)
background process (bloatware) that is causing the stuttering and your suggested changes should have helped.
.
After several trials & errors & YouTube searches, what appears to have greatly reduced the issue (so far) was to
implement the following changes (yesterday):

1. Control Panel --> Power & Sleep --> Additional power settings --> Change Preferred plans to 'High Performance'
2. Open Task Manager --> Click Details --> Right Click select columns --> scroll down & tick power throttling.

There is still some background & app process causing issues to SDRC (at times), Google Chrome (the main one discovered to date)
that still (at unpredictable times) causes major stuttering after these changes,
at other times what I do with Chrome makes no difference.
Just to clarify 'previously' not having any other app open (other that SDRC) still caused the stuttering issue with SDRC.

I'll have to monitor since sometimes it requires a few days of usage with SDRC to know if the stuttering problem is reduced or fixed.
Happier at the moment.

jdow>SDRC has an option to run at "Above normal".
Is that the x4 buffer size in SDRC Options->Audio->Playback->Buffering menu you're referring to?
if so have tinkered yesterday & previously with that without changes to stuttering.
Simon has helpful notes in that area.

For the record I also used a thrird part 'Latancy Monitor' app. But it always passed my system.

Thanks for your help, which encouraged be to investigate further.

Stay safe.

Ian (from the Chinese gov bullied country of Austrialia)

jdow

On 20200515 17:21:40, Ian DXer wrote:

jdow>SDRC has an option to run at "Above normal".
Is that the x4 buffer size in SDRC Options->Audio->Playback->Buffering menu you're referring to?
no

if so have tinkered yesterday & previously with that without changes to stuttering.
Simon has helpful notes in that area.
tools menu->options->start->priority (Boost priority)

{^_^}

Ian DXer

jdow>tools menu->options->start->priority (Boost priority)

Ah-Ha. That looks good.
Made the change.

Thanks Joanne :-) Enjoy your evening.

Will continue to monitor.

jdow

See, it REALLY pays to browse through all the options you can find.
{^_-}

On 20200515 19:01:38, Ian DXer wrote:
jdow>tools menu->options->start->priority (Boost priority)
Ah-Ha. That looks good.
Made the change.
Thanks Joanne :-) Enjoy your evening.
Will continue to monitor.

Siegfried Jackstien

and there are a few other settings that crank up (or lower) cpu load

dg9bfc sigi

ps ... do not ask why i know that ... try to use a pluto on a slow machine and you sure find out ... grin

Am 16.05.2020 um 04:01 schrieb jdow:

See, it REALLY pays to browse through all the options you can find.
{^_-}

On 20200515 19:01:38, Ian DXer wrote:
jdow>tools menu->options->start->priority (Boost priority)

Ah-Ha. That looks good.
Made the change.

Thanks Joanne :-) Enjoy your evening.

Will continue to monitor.

Pete, Mi0VAX

None of the above have cured the stuttering on my machine, considering a clean install of windows 10 as it's driving me crazy.

Pete
Mi0VAX

Jim Smith G0OFE

Try to use a new identity?

I had an issue with one particular identy stuttering... I just stopped using it and used a different one - problem gone.

================================
Need help with SDR Console? If you have a problem,
Use the camera icon top left to take a screenshot,
Then send to this group **as an attachment **
===================================
Jim, Bournemouth, Dorset. IO90BR.

On 24/05/2020 11:21, Pete, Mi0VAX wrote:

None of the above have cured the stuttering on my machine, considering a clean install of windows 10 as it's driving me crazy.

Pete
Mi0VAX

Pete, Mi0VAX

Hi Jim, Didn't try a new identity

I've tried so much I've driven myself nuts! Tried uninstalling and then making sure there were no registry entries left and then reinstalling. Still the same, so would assume that the identity thing would be covered in this.

After a clean install of Win10 all is well, and like other users above I note that when I install and run Chrome the stuttering returned! (all default Win10 & SDRC settings and also the same with above normal priority) However, thankfully now when Chrome is not running the stuttering is gone. I can live with that!

Cheers

Pete
Mi0VAX

Siegfried Jackstien

stuttering or not .. highly depends on ...

what sdr used??

what bandwidth used??

what pc (what processor and how much ram)?

usb2 or usb3?? or  a network sdr (ethernet)? ... maybe wireless lan involved??

buffer size settings in console (defaut/x2/x4)

and lots of other settings (waterfall speed, spectrum resolution, spectrum "filling" ("shaded" on or off)

if display open or not??

what other "boxes" open??

how many receivers active?

as an example ... on my super slowish atom tablet i still can use console with no stutterng and low cpu load (lowest seen was around 6%) ... but when i use all additional options ... open a lot of boxes and a few receivers  ... use higher resolution etc etc ... i can crank up the needed cpu load to complete death of the machine (nearly) ... so ckeck your settings ... there are dozens of settings that lower (or crank up) the needed cpu power

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 24.05.2020 um 14:22 schrieb Pete, Mi0VAX:

Hi Jim, Didn't try a new identity

I've tried so much I've driven myself nuts! Tried uninstalling and then making sure there were no registry entries left and then reinstalling. Still the same, so would assume that the identity thing would be covered in this.

After a clean install of Win10 all is well, and like other users above I note that when I install and run Chrome the stuttering returned! (all default Win10 & SDRC settings and also the same with above normal priority) However, thankfully now when Chrome is not running the stuttering is gone. I can live with that!

Cheers

Pete
Mi0VAX

Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU

Hmmm... Totally opposite of the issue I had before Simon spent a week on the Server software. I had to open a browser (Chrome) and surf the web for stutter free audio/video. But since his rework of the Server software, not an issue anymore, In fact I can run a server via WiFi, both on the host and client computer and still no issues. Even from a hotel WiFi too!

Kriss KA1GJU