More Identities

Simon Brown

Hi,

In 3.0.23 there are four more optional identities:

Simon Brown, G4ELI

https://www.sdr-radio.com

Christian Veith

Hi Simon,

thanks for this update :) Do you think it would be possible to have different Radio settings per identity?

What i mean are the settings in this dialog:

I would then configure identity one as my Main HF identity and a second one as Transverter with slightly different settings.

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Christian DL5CV

Am 06.05.2020 um 07:27 schrieb Simon Brown:

Hi,

Simon Brown, G4ELI

Jim Smith G0OFE

I can already do this.

In one Identity, my Perseus is set to downconvert by 22Mhz as I have a 6m converter plugged in. In the others, it is not.

Each Identity has the radio definitions set up independently of each other.

When you open up a new Identity for the first time, it's like you are starting from scratch.

================================
Jim, Bournemouth, Dorset. IO90BR.
Elad FDM-S2, Airspy HF+, SDRPlay and Funcube Dongle SDR Recievers
8-element OP-DES for Band 2, 8-element LFA for 2m, 3-element LFA for 6m, 20m Windom for HF,. Wellbrook 1530 Loop for LF

On 07/05/2020 15:16, Christian Veith wrote:

Hi Simon,

thanks for this update :) Do you think it would be possible to have different Radio settings per identity?

I would then configure identity one as my Main HF identity and a second one as Transverter with slightly different settings.

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Christian DL5CV

Hi,

Simon Brown, G4ELI

Attachments:

jdow

Would you settle for allowing the same device to have two different "definitions" and names in the select device dialog? One would be set to have a converter on it and the other to be straight through, perhaps with different input/output RF port selections?

That might have better utility and fall within Simon's concepts.

{^_^}

On 20200507 08:16:53, Christian Veith wrote:
Hi Simon,
Thanks in advance
Best regards
Christian DL5CV

Hi,

Simon Brown, G4ELI

Christian Veith

Thanks for the tip, but that wouldn't be possible.

The hardware configuration of the radios is stored in the Windows registry and the approach chosen is indentity independent.

Please take a look on the screenshot of the registry tree of SDR Console:

Best regards

Chris

Am 07.05.2020 um 20:48 schrieb jdow:

Would you settle for allowing the same device to have two different "definitions" and names in the select device dialog? One would be set to have a converter on it and the other to be straight through, perhaps with different input/output RF port selections?

{^_^}

Hi Simon,

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Christian DL5CV

Hi,

Simon Brown, G4ELI

jdow

They are also stored in the individual identities. I was going to say what you just said until I remembered what I had seen in appdata in my last foray into the roaming SDRV3 folder and found one of these per identity, SDR-Console-RadioDefns.xml. I am not sure which takes precedence for which parameters. (And I am too lazy to exhaustively test.) I do know that I have different radios defined in each of my identities.

{^_-}

On 20200511 22:51:20, Christian Veith wrote:
The hardware configuration of the radios is stored in the Windows registry and the approach chosen is indentity independent.
Best regards
Chris

{^_^}

Hi Simon,

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Christian DL5CV

Hi,

Simon Brown, G4ELI

Christian Veith

Yes these are the definitions. But in this definitions file is no special configuration contained. These settings are stored in the windows registry.

Am 12.05.2020 um 08:24 schrieb jdow:

They are also stored in the individual identities. I was going to say what you just said until I remembered what I had seen in appdata in my last foray into the roaming SDRV3 folder and found one of these per identity, SDR-Console-RadioDefns.xml. I am not sure which takes precedence for which parameters. (And I am too lazy to exhaustively test.) I do know that I have different radios defined in each of my identities.

{^_-}

Best regards

Chris

{^_^}

Hi Simon,

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Christian DL5CV

Hi,

Simon Brown, G4ELI

jdow

Hm, refreshing my memory a bit. The AppData per identity data is basically "finding the fool thing on the computer's hardware topology" plus a curious bit of data or two. VisualGain="0.00000000000000000000", to a ridiculous level of precision" is one of them.

The registry seems to reprise the find me stuff and adds a limited number of receiver settings as well. I am not sure if it stores converter options in there or not as I don't use the converter mode currently.

There may be a data tidiness issue with all the duplications between
appdata and registry. But - it ain't strictly speaking broke so why fix it now?

{^_^}

On 20200512 02:27:05, Christian Veith wrote:
Yes these are the definitions. But in this definitions file is no special configuration contained. These settings are stored in the windows registry.

{^_-}

Best regards

Chris

{^_^}

Hi Simon,

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Christian DL5CV

Hi,

Simon Brown, G4ELI

Christian Veith

do i don't think that the converter settings are stored in registry, as they are contained in "SDR-Console-ConverterDefns.xml" file in appdata folder.

it's not necessary to refactor this part of the console, but it would make things easier when working with the identities.

Just my 5 cents.

Best regards

Chris

Am 12.05.2020 um 12:07 schrieb jdow:

Hm, refreshing my memory a bit. The AppData per identity data is basically "finding the fool thing on the computer's hardware topology" plus a curious bit of data or two. VisualGain="0.00000000000000000000", to a ridiculous level of precision" is one of them.

The registry seems to reprise the find me stuff and adds a limited number of receiver settings as well. I am not sure if it stores converter options in there or not as I don't use the converter mode currently.

{^_^}

{^_-}

Best regards

Chris

{^_^}

Hi Simon,

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Christian DL5CV

Hi,

Simon Brown, G4ELI

jdow

Agreed - it would be handy to have radio definitions that have the same front end with and without converter present with different names assigned by the user or default different names automatically generated.

But, it ain't broke, just bent a little, so don't fix it yet.
{^_-}

On 20200512 03:28:40, Christian Veith wrote:
do i don't think that the converter settings are stored in registry, as they are contained in "SDR-Console-ConverterDefns.xml" file in appdata folder.
it's not necessary to refactor this part of the console, but it would make things easier when working with the identities.
Just my 5 cents.
Best regards
Chris

{^_^}

{^_-}

Best regards

Chris

{^_^}

Hi Simon,

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Christian DL5CV

Hi,

Simon Brown, G4ELI

Simon Brown

Hi,

Correct. There’s quite some structure in SDR Console, sadly I haven’t passed the identity down to the various radio DLLs. This could be done, I would have to run through all radio DLLs. Not ultra-difficult, just would take a few days with very careful testing.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Christian Veith
Sent: 12 May 2020 06:51
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] More Identities

Best regards

Chris

{^_^}

Hi Simon,

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Christian DL5CV

Hi,

Simon Brown, G4ELI

Tom Crosbie G6PZZ

Joanne & Christian,

This has been quite an esoteric discussion which I have enjoyed. However, I'm still confused over the concept of identities in SDRC.
Do identities:
Mean a user identity?
A different receiver?
Different settings for the same radio?

I've not used this feature before, but I think I'm about to hence my reason for butting in.

73's Tom G6PZZ

-----Original Message-----
From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of jdow
Sent: 12 May 2020 11:50

Agreed - it would be handy to have radio definitions that have the same front end with and without converter present with different names assigned by the user or default different names automatically generated.

{^_-}

do i don't think that the converter settings are stored in registry,
as they are contained in "SDR-Console-ConverterDefns.xml" file in appdata folder.

it's not necessary to refactor this part of the console, but it would
make things easier when working with the identities.

Just my 5 cents.

Best regards

Chris

Hm, refreshing my memory a bit. The AppData per identity data is
basically "finding the fool thing on the computer's hardware
topology" plus a curious bit of data or two.
VisualGain="0.00000000000000000000", to a ridiculous level of precision" is one of them.

The registry seems to reprise the find me stuff and adds a limited
number of receiver settings as well. I am not sure if it stores
converter options in there or not as I don't use the converter mode currently.

{^_^}

Yes these are the definitions. But in this definitions file is no
special configuration contained. These settings are stored in the windows registry.

They are also stored in the individual identities. I was going to
say what you just said until I remembered what I had seen in
appdata in my last foray into the roaming SDRV3 folder and found
one of these per identity, SDR-Console-RadioDefns.xml. I am not
sure which takes precedence for which parameters. (And I am too
lazy to exhaustively test.) I do know that I have different radios defined in each of my identities.

{^_-}

The hardware configuration of the radios is stored in the Windows
registry and the approach chosen is indentity independent.

Best regards

Chris

Would you settle for allowing the same device to have two
different "definitions" and names in the select device dialog?
One would be set to have a converter on it and the other to be
straight through, perhaps with different input/output RF port selections?

{^_^}

Hi Simon,

thanks for this update :) Do you think it would be possible to
have different Radio settings per identity?

I would then configure identity one as my Main HF identity and a
second one as Transverter with slightly different settings.

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Christian DL5CV

Hi,

Simon Brown, G4ELI

jdow

What is the title of the very first window you see when running SDR Console?
{^_^}

On 20200512 06:26:28, Tom Crosbie G6PZZ wrote:
Joanne & Christian,
This has been quite an esoteric discussion which I have enjoyed. However, I'm still confused over the concept of identities in SDRC.
Do identities:
Mean a user identity?
A different receiver?
I've not used this feature before, but I think I'm about to hence my reason for butting in.
73's Tom G6PZZ
Sent: 12 May 2020 11:50
{^_-}
do i don't think that the converter settings are stored in registry,
as they are contained in "SDR-Console-ConverterDefns.xml" file in appdata folder.

it's not necessary to refactor this part of the console, but it would
make things easier when working with the identities.

Just my 5 cents.

Best regards

Chris

Hm, refreshing my memory a bit. The AppData per identity data is
basically "finding the fool thing on the computer's hardware
topology" plus a curious bit of data or two.
VisualGain="0.00000000000000000000", to a ridiculous level of precision" is one of them.

The registry seems to reprise the find me stuff and adds a limited
number of receiver settings as well. I am not sure if it stores
converter options in there or not as I don't use the converter mode currently.

{^_^}

Yes these are the definitions. But in this definitions file is no
special configuration contained. These settings are stored in the windows registry.

They are also stored in the individual identities. I was going to
say what you just said until I remembered what I had seen in
appdata in my last foray into the roaming SDRV3 folder and found
one of these per identity, SDR-Console-RadioDefns.xml. I am not
sure which takes precedence for which parameters. (And I am too
lazy to exhaustively test.) I do know that I have different radios defined in each of my identities.

{^_-}

The hardware configuration of the radios is stored in the Windows
registry and the approach chosen is indentity independent.

Best regards

Chris

Would you settle for allowing the same device to have two
different "definitions" and names in the select device dialog?
One would be set to have a converter on it and the other to be
straight through, perhaps with different input/output RF port selections?

{^_^}

Hi Simon,

thanks for this update :) Do you think it would be possible to
have different Radio settings per identity?

I would then configure identity one as my Main HF identity and a
second one as Transverter with slightly different settings.

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Christian DL5CV

Hi,

Simon Brown, G4ELI

Simon Brown

See also:

https://www.sdr-radio.com/starting#Identity

Simon Brown, G4ELI

Sent: 12 May 2020 23:09

What is the title of the very first window you see when running SDR Console?

{^_^}

Lorenz Graßl

Hi Tom,

Do identities:
	Mean a user identity?
	A different receiver?

I use the identities rather intense. Identities contain all the settings SDR-Console offers. Size and position of windows, assignment of sound in- and output, levels, equalizer settings, waterfall... and so on. What identities NOT do is: changing/saving definitions of only one radio. So I have my only lime and lime´s settings such as RIT/XIT for example are the same in all identities I use. That means if I change some lime-setting in one ID, it will appear the same in another ID.  I think that IDs can save the radio if you´re using more than one radio-definition. But you will not be able to setup more radio-definition with just one radio. But i did not check this, I just have my limesdr mini.

e.g.
I use only one radio, a limesdr mini but 4 identities. One is used for SSB "classic" operation on QO-100. When I launch my "SSB-identity" I see the whole spectrum of the satellite, hear sound from my speaker, have the mic assigned as input. On the other hand I have a "regular" DIGI-mode-identity for QO-100. As you can probably imagine: I see just the digi-section of the satellite in the spectrum, have SDR-console´s in/out onnected to virtual audio-cables, have enabled vox, opened up some virtual serial ports for other digi-mode-software to hook up at SDR-console. There´s an id for CW (other filter settings...) one for FT8 (other filter, windows and so on) one for experiments (for not dstroying my previously setup ids) And so on.

IDs are a great feature of SDR-C and couldn´t never be too much! At least 8 or 10 IDs would be great, but I believe in the next release... maybe there will be more ;-)

73 de Lenz,
DL8RDL

Christian Veith

Hi Simon,

that would be really cool :)

But i think there are more tasks with a higher priority that should be implemented first :)

Best regards

Chris

Am 12.05.2020 um 15:19 schrieb Simon Brown:

Hi,

Correct. There’s quite some structure in SDR Console, sadly I haven’t passed the identity down to the various radio DLLs. This could be done, I would have to run through all radio DLLs. Not ultra-difficult, just would take a few days with very careful testing.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Christian Veith
Sent: 12 May 2020 06:51

Best regards

Chris

{^_^}

Hi Simon,

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Christian DL5CV

Hi,

Simon Brown, G4ELI

Tom Crosbie G6PZZ

A BIG THANK YOU to all contributors with a particular mention to Lorenz, Joanne and Simon for teaching me how to find them and how I might use them. Overall, it was a deeper dive than I needed, but I got the gist of it in the end. I think I have all the information I need to start configuring a second SDR, which will also involve configuring OmniRig and configuring Console to think I’m using a totally different radio to the Sentinel 4. Time to get my hands dirty!

One other question though, can each identity use a different database? I would like to use one identity of my RSPdx to use a MW database and other identities for sections of the HF BCBs.

73 Tom G6PZZ

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Lorenz Graßl
Sent: 13 May 2020 12:32

Hi Tom,

Do identities:
  Mean a user identity?
  A different receiver?

I use the identities rather intense. Identities contain all the settings SDR-Console offers. Size and position of windows, assignment of sound in- and output, levels, equalizer settings, waterfall... and so on. What identities NOT do is: changing/saving definitions of only one radio. So I have my only lime and lime´s settings such as RIT/XIT for example are the same in all identities I use. That means if I change some lime-setting in one ID, it will appear the same in another ID.  I think that IDs can save the radio if you´re using more than one radio-definition. But you will not be able to setup more radio-definition with just one radio. But i did not check this, I just have my limesdr mini.

e.g.
I use only one radio, a limesdr mini but 4 identities. One is used for SSB "classic" operation on QO-100. When I launch my "SSB-identity" I see the whole spectrum of the satellite, hear sound from my speaker, have the mic assigned as input. On the other hand I have a "regular" DIGI-mode-identity for QO-100. As you can probably imagine: I see just the digi-section of the satellite in the spectrum, have SDR-console´s in/out onnected to virtual audio-cables, have enabled vox, opened up some virtual serial ports for other digi-mode-software to hook up at SDR-console. There´s an id for CW (other filter settings...) one for FT8 (other filter, windows and so on) one for experiments (for not dstroying my previously setup ids) And so on.

IDs are a great feature of SDR-C and couldn´t never be too much! At least 8 or 10 IDs would be great, but I believe in the next release... maybe there will be more ;-)

73 de Lenz,
DL8RDL

Lorenz Graßl

One other question though, can each identity use a different database? I would like to use one identity of my RSPdx to use a MW database and other identities for sections of the HF BCBs.

In my state of knowledge this should be possible. I think you can understand those IDs like different users which have different intentions and, of course radios or/and databases.

73, Lenz

Simon Brown

Hi,

From my memory the frequency database is per-identity.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Lorenz Graßl
Sent: 13 May 2020 15:28

In my state of knowledge this should be possible. I think you can understand those IDs like different users which have different intentions and, of course radios or/and databases.

73, Lenz

Tom Crosbie G6PZZ

Thanks again Lorenz.

Simon, every day there is something new to discover about this amazing software. Thank you again for your endeavours in writing this beast and the amazing level of support.

Tom G6PZZ

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Simon Brown
Sent: 13 May 2020 15:45

Hi,

From my memory the frequency database is per-identity.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

Sent: 13 May 2020 15:28

73, Lenz