From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of kg7swp@... via groups.io
Sent: 21 April 2020 19:42
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: [SDR-Radio] #Future LimeSDR-USB HF TX

Just wondering...

Ed

Michael Durkin

Try sdrangeel/linux

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020, 10:28 PM Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:

Hi,

Buy the Hermes-Lite 2, a proper HF TRX with filtering.

From: kg7swp@yahoo.com via groups.io

I am not a Linux or SDRAngel kinda guy.
I just get too confused with it.

Ed
===============================

Ed,

SDRangel is available for Windows.

What is confusing about it? I find it much simpler than some other SDR programs.

- choose radio hardware
- select demodulator
- enter frequency
- press go

Personally I tend to use it for signal analysis rather than reception, but I did once get it to send 2.4 GHz morse on either a Pluto or possibly a Lime.

73,
David GM8ARV
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk
Twitter: @gm8arv

kg7swp@yahoo.com <KG7SWP@...>

David, you are obviously a software guy. I am not. It's pretty difficult to run SDRAngel for me. I just do not get it.
I would like this software & am just asking every few months to see if it will happen.
Every time I do, I get told to buy yet another device, or use SDRAngel.
Neither of them are an answer to my question.
I have everything to make 2 LimeSDR-USBs into complete HF/VHF/UHF radios. It's all sitting back in a box.
I wold just like a definite answer if it will get worked on.
If not, I'll just buy a 7300 & be done with it all.

Ed

David J Taylor

From: kg7swp@yahoo.com via groups.io

David, you are obviously a software guy. I am not. It's pretty difficult to run SDRAngel for me. I just do not get it.
I would like this software & am just asking every few months to see if it will happen.
Every time I do, I get told to buy yet another device, or use SDRAngel.
Neither of them are an answer to my question.
I have everything to make 2 LimeSDR-USBs into complete HF/VHF/UHF radios. It's all sitting back in a box.
I wold just like a definite answer if it will get worked on.
If not, I'll just buy a 7300 & be done with it all.

Ed
================================

Ed,

Yes, I write and use software, but I find some SDR software (without mentioning xxxUno) quite impenetrable, where others in the region swear by it! These days, thick documentation has fallen somewhat by the wayside (well, "people never read the help files") and been replaced with video tutorials (which I often find "not very good").

If you have specific issues with SDRangel, why not ask in the group:

https://groups.io/g/sdrangel

Having said that, there are issues with both the TX and RX on many of the lower-cost SDR hardware. The receivers are completely broadband so a signal miles away from where you are listening can completely overload and hence desense the receiver. Need to build a filter set. Similarly with the TX, the noise and harmonics may be fine for in-shack testing but may need good filtering before begin connected to an antenna.

[Aside, the Lime has never delivered what it promised, and I regret the day I bought the first (full-size), and even more the day I bought the second (mini).

All a fun and most interesting project, but how do you cost/value your time? Perhaps the 7300 9700 are a good alternative?

73,
David GM8ARV
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk
Twitter: @gm8arv

kg7swp@yahoo.com <KG7SWP@...>

I guess you have missed the several times that this has been hashed out. I do have the BPF, LPF & PA from a Kenwood TS-440 for each of the Limes. I have all of the SMA coax relays & such. I have an Arduino to control all of them with the CAT input.
I really do understand the hardware part of it.
I was in the process of testing when Lime changed something in the firmware. Thus, Simon has worked on getting HF working in spurts, but it has not come to fruition,
Please, my question is not what else to use for software or hardware.
I am asking if work will be done on the LimeSDR-USB for HF TX.
Nothing else.
I would like to see it, but after all this time, I am just wondering if I should just sell it, if the TX will not come about.
I sent a decent donation when there was talk of HF TX being worked on, but nothing came of it.
I just want to know if it is a dead subject or not.

Thank you,
Ed

Michael Durkin

I'm 80% sure that its the driver for the windows lime .... nothing to do with Simon ...

But now that I have a home -- and I still need to work on said home -- ill get some time to investigate when lime/windows stoped working on hf.

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020, 2:53 PM kg7swp@... via groups.io <KG7SWP=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

I can "Use" it with SDRAngel on Windows, I just don't understand the software. It did transmit a couple times, but I have no idea how I did it.
What I want to know is if Simon is going to work on the HF TX, or not. It's that simple. There have been several times that he was going to give it a go, but I have not heard anything further.
So, Simon, what say ye?
If it's no, I'll move on.

Ed

kg7swp@yahoo.com <KG7SWP@...>

Well, I guess I am done with this all. Can't even get a damn answer. Selling 2 Limes & a bunch of stuff. Good luck.

Ed

Lou, KI5FTY

Ed -you must not have seen Simon's response to you - I took that as a no.  I too have a Lime USB and had dreams of an all mode HF/VHF/UHF/SHF transceiver, I am only using the Lime for VHF and above now.... I quoted Simon's response below.  BTW I followed that advice a couple of months back and LOVE m Hermes-Lite 2 - FANTASTIC,  Good luck.

73
Lou KI5FTY

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 6:18 PM kg7swp@... via groups.io <KG7SWP=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Well, I guess I am done with this all. Can't even get a damn answer. Selling 2 Limes & a bunch of stuff. Good luck.

Ed

Michael Durkin

I can ... and do have Rx in the HF spectrum with LimeSDR-Usb ... even made a video .... even if my Led TV makes alot of noise

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020, 7:54 PM Lou KI5FTY <lscalpati@...> wrote:
Ed -you must not have seen Simon's response to you - I took that as a no.  I too have a Lime USB and had dreams of an all mode HF/VHF/UHF/SHF transceiver, I am only using the Lime for VHF and above now.... I quoted Simon's response below.  BTW I followed that advice a couple of months back and LOVE m Hermes-Lite 2 - FANTASTIC,  Good luck.

73
Lou KI5FTY

Hi,

Buy the Hermes-Lite 2, a proper HF TRX with filtering.

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 6:18 PM kg7swp@... via groups.io <KG7SWP=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Well, I guess I am done with this all. Can't even get a damn answer. Selling 2 Limes & a bunch of stuff. Good luck.

Ed

Lou, KI5FTY

Link to video pls! Love to see it.  What SDR program are you using?

73
Lou KI5FTY

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 10:22 PM Michael Durkin <Kc7noa@...> wrote:
[...]

Problem is that many times, I asked about HF TX. He said he would try again. To my knowledge, he has not.
It is why I donated money.
I also recently asked if I could use the Lime with the Nooelec up/down converter.
No answer to either.

I also offered a $500 bonus if TX was enabled.

Nothing.

All I wanted was a damn answer.

Ed

MikeC

Hello again Ed,

Looking at the Nooelec converter spec and schematic, as far as I can see, there is no reason why it would not work with the LImeSDR. You may need two, one for the tx chain and one for the rx chain unless you engineered a changeover system with relays or solid state. There would have to be some sort of single antenna changeover system at the end. You might have to careful with levels though, both on rx and tx, so that you don’t overload the converter. There is no filtering for individual bands, so on receive you are wide open to strong signal overload from anything. On tx the Lime puts out odd order harmonics so you would have to make sure whatever followed the converter had a good low-pass filter before it reached the antenna.

My impression, from a very quick test with SDRangel, was that the HF transmit was not that clean whereas above 30MHz its pretty good. All in all I think the up/down approach is the best solution.

Also you have to make the HF mod to the Lime LF input, but you may have already done this. It would also improve the 100MHz frequency area anyway.

If you go down this route there is certainly quite an amount of messing about to do and it also assumes that you have test equipment available etc. The alternative buy a working solution approach is quicker and easier but nowhere near as much fun, in my opinion.

I can understand your frustration with not being able to use what you have purchased in a reasonably straightforward way but there is a way forward if you are happy back-yard constructing.

Mike

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Problem is that many times, I asked about HF TX. He said he would try again. To my knowledge, he has not.
It is why I donated money.
I also recently asked if I could use the Lime with the Nooelec up/down converter.
No answer to either.

I also offered a $500 bonus if TX was enabled.

Nothing.

All I wanted was a damn answer.

Ed

Siegfried Jackstien

hmmm ...

let me think

if you use the lime direct on hf (say at 7mhz) it also sends out 21mhz ... ok on that (means filters needed that your amplifier behind it only gets the main 7mhz)

now lets think we use an up down mixer system

say with a local of 50mhz (or whatever you plan to use)

then the lime sends at 57mhz and its overtone would be at 171mhz ... right??

so no need for band filters between the lime and the mixer needed (only lowpass highpass combination)

after the mixer (if you stay linear) you should have a much cleaner 7mhz signal ... not?!?

just guessing

if that works good a simtlar thingy could be used for the pluto to make it work on hf

greetz sigi dg8bfc