Anybody recognise this antenna?

Max

Sorry folks.... a little off topic.

Friend of mine spotted this on a house local to him. I have Googled but cannot seem to find. I wonder if a UHF crossed dipole of some type for sat reception perhaps?

73

Max

Siegfried Jackstien

batwing antenne ... wideband uhf receive

seems as they mounted two of them crossed to make it more omnidirectional?!?

dg9bfc sigi

Am 05.04.2020 um 10:22 schrieb Max:

Sorry folks.... a little off topic.

Friend of mine spotted this on a house local to him. I have Googled but cannot seem to find. I wonder if a UHF crossed dipole of some type for sat reception perhaps?

73

Max

Alan G4ZFQ

Friend of mine spotted this on a house local to him. I have Googled but cannot seem to find. I wonder if a UHF crossed dipole of some type for sat reception perhaps?
Max

I wondered Wifi or broadband link.
But some idea of size? Seems more like UHF. TV?

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Alan

I was not too sure, the picture not too clear but Sigi has it like https://www.everythingrf.com/community/what-is-a-super-turnstile-or-batwing-antenna

Omnidirectional why? Not easy to receive two multiplexes but a guess a determined user could..

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Max

Many thanks Sigi for ident and Alan for comments. A quick spot!

Alan, interesting your comments about broadband link.... has a small log-periodic below..... locked off, non rotatable. Probably about same size for lowest frequency. It is in a dense residential area in SW London, so no idea if the two antennas are related...... TV signal from Crystal Palace in this area is extremely strong. Can't see this being a TV antenna though surely? Not for reception anyway!

Size wise, for judgement the pole it is on is standard probably 2" or 3" aluminium pole, so could be UHF TV I guess....... but why omni? Odd....... I wondered if GPS reception for a time clock ref?

73

Max

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 11:41 AM, Alan G4ZFQ wrote:
Max

I wondered Wifi or broadband link.
But some idea of size? Seems more like UHF. TV?

73 Alan G4ZFQ

jdow

Depending on size it might be FM band. It looks like it might be decently broadband. It's very likely a broadband turnstile attempt. Usually a length of coax gives the 90 degree phase shift required. I am not sure what kind of a network would be used to get a more broadband phase shift. Maybe the traditional length of transmission line is "close enough for government work" or something.
{^_^}

On 20200405 03:59:00, Alan via groups.io wrote:
I was not too sure, the picture not too clear but Sigi has it like https://www.everythingrf.com/community/what-is-a-super-turnstile-or-batwing-antenna
Omnidirectional why? Not easy to receive two multiplexes but a guess a determined user could..
73 Alan G4ZFQ

jdow

Definitely not GPS.
{^_^}

On 20200405 04:16:48, Max wrote:
[...]

Too small for FM I think Joanne.

Pic with the LP underneath:

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 12:18 PM, jdow wrote:
Depending on size it might be FM band.

Jerry Lofstead W3CDE

That is a UHF TV antenna..  It's a co linear antenna .
Jerry
W3CDE

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 6:33 AM Siegfried Jackstien <siegfried.jackstien@...> wrote:

batwing antenne ... wideband uhf receive

seems as they mounted two of them crossed to make it more omnidirectional?!?

dg9bfc sigi

Am 05.04.2020 um 10:22 schrieb Max:
Sorry folks.... a little off topic.

Friend of mine spotted this on a house local to him. I have Googled but cannot seem to find. I wonder if a UHF crossed dipole of some type for sat reception perhaps?

73

Max

Tom Crosbie G6PZZ

A curious debate for a Sunday morning.

Most TV installations would use a 1” or 1.5” pole for extra height, or in a windy position. A 2” pole is moving into the area of possible  over-engineering or very typical for amateur radio use. Three inches is getting into the realm of commercial or military use. I have only ever used a 3” pole for a 1.2m steerable satellite TV dish. That was steel water pipe and even 10 feet was very heavy! It is such an unusual antenna to be found in a residential area.

The article below has a picture that gives an idea of scale!

https://kd2sl.wordpress.com/2012/03/18/the-antenna/

There’s a possibility it might serve as a beacon or repeater antenna. There are many polarisation options and could also be used for reception of satellites such as NOAA etc.

Nice to have something to think about on a nice Sunday in lockdown when I should be getting on with rewiring my radio desk!

Tom G6PZZ

[...]

On the same mast, are they related?
I'm still wondering internet, some form of signal distribution? There is a ISM band around 470MHZ.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Max

Yes, you are quite right Tom. Most likely 1.5 inch....... my "over-engineering" brain kicking in!

Max

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 12:51 PM, Tom Crosbie G6PZZ wrote:
Most TV installations would use a 1” or 1.5” pole for extra height,

Michael.2E0IHW

In the early days of DTT I cobbled together a
batwing with wire (inspired by Rothammel)
atop a pole on the chimney to compare signals
from the only six (sic) transmitters I could receive.

It worked in a fashion - better than a loop as
for indoor reception of ancient analog signals.

Michael 2E0IHW

On 05/04/2020 12:21, Max wrote:
Too small for FM I think Joanne.
Pic with the LP underneath:
On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 12:18 PM, jdow wrote:
Depending on size it might be FM band.

Tom Crosbie G6PZZ

I think we’ve all worked out “what it is” Max, but the big questions remain unanswered…

Why is it there?

What IS the frequency coverage@

What is it actually being used for?

…and WHO is using it?

I can only suggest nocking on the door wearing a Groucho Marx disguise and asking?

(Still only got as far as cutting mini- trunking to size, putting in half a dozen notches for cable entry/exit and sanding down the rough edges)

Tom G6PZZ

Yes, you are quite right Tom. Most likely 1.5 inch....... my "over-engineering" brain kicking in!

Max

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 12:51 PM, Tom Crosbie G6PZZ wrote:

Most TV installations would use a 1” or 1.5” pole for extra height,

Jerry Lofstead W3CDE

Looks lime a U100 TV rotor.  In the city you do not need a HIGH antenna, just something pointing in the right direction  8=)

Jerry

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 9:17 AM Max <radiomax@...> wrote:
Yes, you are quite right Tom. Most likely 1.5 inch....... my "over-engineering" brain kicking in!

Max

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 12:51 PM, Tom Crosbie G6PZZ wrote:
Most TV installations would use a 1” or 1.5” pole for extra height,

Allan Isaacs

We called them Bow Tie dipoles in days of old. Wideband, for local reception of UHF TV.

Allan G3PIY

Friend of mine spotted this on a house local to him. I have Googled but cannot seem to find. I wonder if a UHF crossed dipole of some type for sat reception perhaps?

73

Max

_._,_._,_

Michael.2E0IHW

Confirmed, Alan, as in my previous posting.

Michael 2E0IHW

*From:*main@SDR-Radio.groups.io [mailto:main@SDR-Radio.groups.io] *On
Sorry folks.... a little off topic.
Friend of mine spotted this on a house local to him. I have Googled but cannot seem to find. I wonder if a UHF crossed dipole of some type for sat reception perhaps?
Max

Allan Isaacs

A bit smaller than my latest 350 foot long wire Michael
Allan G3PIY

Confirmed, Alan, as in my previous posting.

Michael 2E0IHW

Michael.2E0IHW

Swap, Alan?

Michael

On 05/04/2020 15:02, Allan Isaacs wrote:

A bit smaller than my latest 350 foot long wire Michael
Allan G3PIY
Confirmed, Alan, as in my previous posting.
Michael 2E0IHW

Allan Isaacs

Collect only and you need to climb three 50 foot trees to retrieve it
Allan G3PIY