Maritime Frequencies

Derek Henderson

Hi Anyone monitoring the HF marine bands ?? Arklow Shipping use to broadcast
on 2.311USB every evening around 19.30 Each vessel would report their position
to other vessels in the fleet Around 12 months ago it stopped OR changed frequencie
Anyone know of this or new frequencies

Derek Henderson

Max

Hi Derek

Not an expert on this by any means but I would imagine that the requirement for nearly all of this sort of traffic has now been replaced by AIS and Inmarsat?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_identification_system
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inmarsat

Best

Max

Michael.2E0IHW

Scary... Most tubs may have vintage HF equipment.
What if digi-wonders fail???

I muse over our blind dependence on
the wonders of modern tech...

Must needs polish up my sextant?
Okay, a bit OTT...

Michael 2E0IHW

On 02/03/2020 18:12, Max wrote:
Hi Derek
Not an expert on this by any means but I would imagine that the requirement for nearly all of this sort of traffic has now been replaced by AIS and Inmarsat?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_identification_system
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inmarsat
Max

Tom Crosbie G6PZZ

How exactly does a sextant help you communicate?
Luckily my semaphore is better than my Morse...
Tom G6PZZ
Tongue firmly in cheek!

On 02/03/2020 18:12, Max wrote:
Hi Derek

Not an expert on this by any means but I would imagine that the
requirement for nearly all of this sort of traffic has now been
replaced by AIS and Inmarsat?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_identification_system
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inmarsat
Max

Michael.2E0IHW

Tonngue-in-check we are, but reality-tagged...

Sextant for location, CW or analog for comms???

My morse is probably nearly as good as semaphore
in sea mists...

On 02/03/2020 20:05, Tom Crosbie G6PZZ wrote:
How exactly does a sextant help you communicate?
Luckily my semaphore is better than my Morse...
Tom G6PZZ
Tongue firmly in cheek!

iolo roberts <iolex@...>

It used to be a requirement for vessels to carry qualified Radio Officers. This is no longer the case. Deck Officers now undergo training in GMDSS. All systems are doubled up for the event of a failure.
Check out GMDSS in Google.

On 02/03/2020 18:12, Max wrote:
Hi Derek
Not an expert on this by any means but I would imagine that the requirement for nearly all of this sort of traffic has now been replaced by AIS and Inmarsat?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_identification_system
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inmarsat
Max

Lawrence Stoskopf

Some years ago I took a  week Antarctic voyage on and old converted Icebreaker. The radio officer was lamenting that that was his last voyage as all of the old radio gear was being removed. Along with him.  All of the radio ops in the area had a morning net just to know who was where and such.  He felt that it was a great loss. Progress. N0UU