Console favorites #favourites

d_ziolkowski

Hello all

I saved many favorites. Then I added a sound card for sdr use.

All favorites are saved as default sound card.

I can change each of them to the new soundcard but that is a lot of work.

Is there a way to bulk change them?

Thanks Dan kc2sta

All

Max

Do you mean they are saved with "Default" as the setting in the DSP panel audio source?

If so, one thing you could do is make the new sound card output the "default" sound output device within Windows, then all should come good.

To get to that dialogue, open the Windows "Run" dialogue from the star menu, then paste in the following text and press return to open Audio Devices Properties:
mmsys.cpl

Set desired sound output from new card to default in the Playback tab.

73

Max

Max

That should of course be "Start" menu!

Max

On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 10:34 PM, Max wrote:
To get to that dialogue, open the Windows "Run" dialogue from the star menu

d_ziolkowski

Max-

that would the purpose of having two sound cards, one for SDR, other for other audio.

I was hoping there is a "favorites" text file(s) that could be modified with find/replace. Could not find one.

DAN

--
Dan Ziolkowski KC2STA
SKCC #4290T

Max

OK Dan, understood,so two other possible ways if you do not want to change the Default audio source in Windows......

(A) The hard way - recall each favourite in turn, change audio source, then "update", one by one.

(B) The easy(ish) way: Export favourites to XML file inside "Organize" Favourites, MAKE SURE TO MAKE A BACKUP COPY to be able to restore if all goes wrong!
Then edit the XML file by opening the file in Windows Notepad and using "find and replace" (or just Replace to do all at once). I just tested this, opening the file in windows notepad, editing, resaving and then importing back into Favourites and it worked fine, but obviously you will need to be very methodical in how you do it. Oh, did I say...... MAKE SURE TO MAKE A BACKUP COPY!

From inspection, the part of the file text that you need to find is:
m_audio.szDevice=

So for example, for the audio selection to be set to "Default" this line reads:
m_audio.szDevice=&quot;Default&quot;

and when this is set to "Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable)", this line reads:
m_audio.szDevice=&quot;Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable)&quot;

Hope this makes sense, but it worked for me OK when I tested it just now,  and also hope Simon will not mind me suggesting this slightly "off track" method. Please don't blame me if it goes wrong.... it is not "official" advice!

Maybe others will say there is a much easier way that I have totally missed?

73

Max

d_ziolkowski

Max - ok sounds good I will give it a try, and yes I will back up my files!

Thanks Dan KC2STA

On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 6:19 PM Max <radiomax@...> wrote:
OK Dan, understood,so two other possible ways if you do not want to change the Default audio source in Windows......

(A) The hard way - recall each favourite in turn, change audio source, then "update", one by one.

(B) The easy(ish) way: Export favourites to XML file inside "Organize" Favourites, MAKE SURE TO MAKE A BACKUP COPY to be able to restore if all goes wrong!
Then edit the XML file by opening the file in Windows Notepad and using "find and replace" (or just Replace to do all at once). I just tested this, opening the file in windows notepad, editing, resaving and then importing back into Favourites and it worked fine, but obviously you will need to be very methodical in how you do it. Oh, did I say...... MAKE SURE TO MAKE A BACKUP COPY!

From inspection, the part of the file text that you need to find is:
m_audio.szDevice=

So for example, for the audio selection to be set to "Default" this line reads:
m_audio.szDevice=&quot;Default&quot;

and when this is set to "Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable)", this line reads:
m_audio.szDevice=&quot;Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable)&quot;

Hope this makes sense, but it worked for me OK when I tested it just now,  and also hope Simon will not mind me suggesting this slightly "off track" method. Please don't blame me if it goes wrong.... it is not "official" advice!

Maybe others will say there is a much easier way that I have totally missed?

73

Max

--
Dan Ziolkowski KC2STA
SKCC #4290T
Ubuntu LINUX

Max

Pictures better than words!

73

Max

On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 11:24 PM, d_ziolkowski wrote:
Max - ok sounds good I will give it a try, and yes I will back up my files!

Curt Faulk

Max:

Thank you for the reply, this is just what I needed.

I had opened this file in Notepad++ earlier today, but, it being a bit difficult to read, I hadn't identified the correct ' m_audio.szDevice=&quot; ' element to make the change in.

This will make it super-easy to do.  And, yes, I ALWAYS backup everything before I start messing around!

Thank you again.

Curt - N6ATC

Max

NP Curt.... I did test it and it worked when I wrote the post. Hope it is still valid!

Good luck.

73

Max

Curt Faulk

Thanks, Max.  It worked perfectly and was very quick and super-simple.

Stay safe, brother!

73,

Curt - N6ATC

Max