SDR Console and CW Skimmer tuning #cw

Jurg HB9AWJ

Hi everybody

The CW-Skimmer (ver 2.0) does not work completly perfect with the SDR Console (when I use the same skimmer with my Anan 10e and the PowerSDR mRX PS as software I do not have any problem). I have two problems concerning the tuning:
- First: to center the cw skimmer on the same frequency as the frequency of the RX1 I have move a bit the zoom function. Only doing it in this way I get the same frequency in the cw skimmer as in the RX1. Otherwise I do not know which signals in the spectrum are displayed by the cw skimmer.
- Secondly: If I want the RX1 to go to the signal on which I click in the cw skimmer, I'm telled by they SDR console : "please wait", and this sign remains for ever and the whole SDR console is blocked (turning ring instead of mouse arrow). Then I can only restart the SDR console.

Does anybody has an idea?
Thanks, Jurg, HB9AWJ

Max

Hi Jurg

CW Skimmer works OK for me but I do find it a big resource hog. Some of the issues you are having sounds like maybe the hardware is struggling? For me sometimes the whole thing chokes and I need to restart CW Skimmer, and my PC is i7 CPU with plenty memory and Nvidia CUDA GPU, so quite well specified. I am actually looking for alternatives to CW Skimmer.

Regarding the tuning issue, I am sure you already did this, but do you have the mode set to CW in the DSP panel of SDRC? What you describe sounds a little like you have either LSB or USB selected as the mode? For me with CW (U or L) selected, CW Skimmer tunes SDR perfectly.

Good luck and 73

Max

Jurg HB9AWJ

Hi Max

Thank you for your reply.
Tuning issue: no, I have set the mode to CW (u). So I still do not know why cw skimmer does not follow me when I change frequency on the SDR Console. It does it only when I use the zoom function and zoom  in or out a little bit on the spectrum.

73, Jurg

Max

Hi again Jurg

Assume you followed these instructions fully?

https://www.sdr-radio.com/cw-skimmer

73

Max

On Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 10:58 AM, Jurg HB9AWJ wrote:
So I still do not know why cw skimmer does not follow me when I change frequency on the SDR Console.

Jurg HB9AWJ

Hi again Max

yes, I followed the instruction on sdr-radio.com/cw-skimmer carefully and had nevertheless the mentioned problems.
In the meantime I found the way, how the cw-skimmer works with the SDR console:

You have to disable the autozoomfunction. If it's enabled, this prevents you to change frequency in the console by clicking on a signal in the skimmer. In my case the SDRC has been blocked showing the hint "Bitte warten ..." and remained then furthermore blocked.

The other thing that I discoverd now is how to make the skimmer follow you when you change the frequency in the console: once choosen a signal (a new frequency) in the spectrum, then you have to click in the spectrum display the "center" bottom. Then the spectrum will be centered in the console and with this action in the same time the cw skimmer follows you to the desired frequency.

This seems the way how to use the cw-skimmer with the SDR Console.

I hope this hints can help other users to profit from the cw-skimmer. May be the instruction on the page "sdr-radio.com/cw-skimmer" should be a little bit enlarged in the section "tuning".

73, Jurg HB9AWJ

Jurg HB9AWJ

Sorry, not the autozoom, but the autocenter function

Jurg

Max

Hi again Jurg

Yes, that is a useful tip....... pressing the "Centre" button tunes CW Skimmer to that frequency. Handy.

Just to mention that CW Skimmer is not actually designed as a CW reader. There are many of those, and indeed I understand that Simon is planning to integrate one within SDRC as he has already done for RTTY/PSK. CWS is primarily a DX finder, which is why it is only really designed to work the other way around, as a "finder" that then tunes the radio to the wanted DX signal. I am sure you knew this already.

73

Max

Jurg HB9AWJ

Hi again Max

Normally I use the cw-skimmer as a cw-reader, and I look a little bit on the traffic around the whished frequency. So I will wait for Simon to implement a cw-reader.

Thanks for your help
73, Jurg

Max

No problem Jurg. Works fine as a reader of course, but a sadly little heavy on the resources, at least I find it so. Very useful tool though nevertheless.

73

Max