Topics

#future Add a 34 KHz WFM filter for NOAA APT #future

Phil Somers

The three NOAA weather satellites in APT mode have a 34 KHz bandwidth. Could that be added to the available WFM filter choices?
Thanks
... Phil VE3HST

Barry Jablonski

Hi Phil,

You can define that filter right now by going into the Filter options menu (the ... on the left).  See attached.

Barry
WB2ZXJ

Phil Somers

Barry, Thanks so much! You know, I looked at that and failed to see that I could edit the frequency. Thanks again. That will be very useful.
... Phil VE3HST

Simon Brown

Hi,

Of course you can add this yourself in a few seconds! I tend to just use 40kHzx myself.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

https://www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Phil Somers via Groups.Io
Sent: 15 February 2020 22:36
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: [SDR-Radio] #future Add a 34 KHz WFM filter for NOAA APT

The three NOAA weather satellites in APT mode have a 34 KHz bandwidth. Could that be added to the available WFM filter choices?
Thanks
... Phil VE3HST

Phil Somers

Thank you Simon, I have now edited the 40 KHz to 34 KHz and it works fine. It helps to avoid interference that may be near the edges. Since so many people use SDR Console for NOAA APT, I still think it would be good to have 34 KHz as one of the presets.
... Phil VE3HST

Barry Jablonski

Hi Phil,

Use the Add button in the Filter Definitions window.  No need to change an existing filter definition.

Barry
WB2ZXJ

David J Taylor

Thank you Simon, I have now edited the 40 KHz to 34 KHz and it works fine. It helps to avoid interference that may be near the edges. Since so many people use SDR Console for NOAA APT, I still think it would be good to have 34 KHz as one of the presets.
... Phil VE3HST
=====================================

Unless you are using Doppler correction, 34 kHz is a little narrow. Once you get into Meteor (ten times the resolution, 3 channels rather than 2) 100 kHz is more appropriate.

David GM8ARV
--
SatSignal Software - Quality software for you
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv

jdow

Wider might even be better in some situations. Narrower means more ringing, which interferes with demodulation. Wider means more noise which interferes with demodulation. We're talking about 0.7 dB here so with all the other variables in the system actually measuring it may be a little difficult.
{^_-}

On 20200216 05:11:58, Phil Somers via Groups.Io wrote:
... Phil VE3HST