Topics

#Future Higher "Min elev" for satellite passes #future

Phil Somers

Currently 20 degrees is the highest minimum elevation that can be selected for recording passes. A higher minimum elevation would be useful in several situations:

1. Low gain antennas or low sensitivity receivers may require higher minimum elevations.

2. Maybe only "almost overhead" passes might be desired, for example for weather satellites.

3. Maybe only a short bit of telemetry is required occasionally and it could be best done during short, high elevation passes.

4. Maybe storage size is limited and only a small number of high elevation passes can be stored or are desired..

5. Probably a change of "Min elev" would be very easy to implement, and it would have no detrimental effect on users who don't want or need a higher value.

I suggest that the Min elev be increased from the current 20 degrees to 80 degrees. Thanks.

Phil Somers

Also, I notice that, even now with 20 degrees set as the minimum elevation for the next pass, the map display shows the next AOS based on the default 10 degrees elevation. The map AOS etc. for the next pass should show the same info as the Automatic Scheduler, based on the same minimum elevation.

Simon Brown

Urg,

Let me think about the logic here.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

https://www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Phil Somers via Groups.Io
Sent: 11 February 2020 14:46
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] #Future Higher "Min elev" for satellite passes

Also, I notice that, even now with 20 degrees set as the minimum elevation for the next pass, the map display shows the next AOS based on the default 10 degrees elevation. The map AOS etc. for the next pass should show the same info as the Automatic Scheduler, based on the same minimum elevation.

Nicholas Shaxted

….Or maybe it could also check the minimum elevation angle against a user generated horizon table (1 deg intervals)

This could be  great help in ensuring compliance with the radiated power limitations

Nick – g4ogi

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io On Behalf Of Simon Brown via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, March 14, 2020 2:58 PM

Urg,

Simon Brown, G4ELI

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Phil Somers via Groups.Io

Simon Brown

Que?

You’ll have to give me the dumbed-down version of this, I wasn’t aware we had any such limitations. Over-exposing neighbours to RF is all part of the fun here.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Nicholas Shaxted
Sent: 14 March 2020 15:03

….Or maybe it could also check the minimum elevation angle against a user generated horizon table (1 deg intervals)

This could be  great help in ensuring compliance with the radiated power limitations

Nick – g4ogi

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io On Behalf Of Simon Brown via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, March 14, 2020 2:58 PM

Urg,

Simon Brown, G4ELI