Topics

Geostationary Satellite Beacon Features #future

Jonathan Endersby

Hi

Firstly, Simon, thank you! for your dedicated work building this incredible software.

I've only just started using it, specifically for QO-100 listening. The beacon tracking is an incredible feature for those of us with cheap kit.

Just a few small feature suggestions:

1. Could you make the beacon maximum zoom-out level bigger. I'm using a very cheap LNB (which is ~9750) but no matter how much I zoomed out I could not "get" to the beacon (it was just off screen to the right), which meant I had to mess with the converter values in order to get the beacon into view. (this was very confusing for a noob)
2. The button's on-state graphic is very faintly "on". I was in a bright room and it took me a long time to realise that the on/off state was changing. I have 20/20 vision, so I suspect that any vision impaired user will definitely struggle.
3. It would be very useful if you add some sort of signal strength display (either SNR or RSSI). This telemetry signal is the most consistent signal on the transponder and as we all mess around with dish pointing, coax runs etc, it would be great to have *one* metric we could refer back to to see if the changes we're making are improving our reception.

Thanks again,
Off to the donation page!

Jonathan, ZS1ARB

Siegfried Jackstien

Am 26.01.2020 um 06:41 schrieb Jonathan Endersby:
Hi

Firstly, Simon, thank you! for your dedicated work building this incredible software.

I've only just started using it, specifically for QO-100 listening. The beacon tracking is an incredible feature for those of us with cheap kit.

Just a few small feature suggestions:

1. Could you make the beacon maximum zoom-out level bigger. I'm using a very cheap LNB (which is ~9750) but no matter how much I zoomed out I could not "get" to the beacon (it was just off screen to the right), which meant I had to mess with the converter values in order to get the beacon into view. (this was very confusing for a noob)

just set the lnb offset a bit diferent :-)

and i guess that is why simon once added the different presets under the qo100 button with 9750, 9750.1 etc ...

i set the lnb offset that the beacon is "spot on" means on exactly 800 ... (plusminus 50 hz) ... reason is ... if the psk beacon is switched off i still can do normal qso work with a maximum offset of 50 hz or so ... and cause i use it fullduplex i can then finetune the rest with xit

(here my lnb is exactly on 9749,997 ... so it is 3 kc low)

so ... first ... find out the real lnb local osc frequency and set that exactly as possible (after a good warmup of your lnb)

if you have a tcxo modded lnb ... then you can also use the station without beacon locking ... and ... some digital voice modes in freedv need a stable receive ... a non modded lnb with beacon lock does not work as good as a tcxo modded one (be it with or without beacon correction) in those freedv modes ... so i highly recommend to upgrade your lnb :-)

you will not hear the difference (or just a tiny bit) ... but when using digital voice ... you will have a lot of missing data with a normal lnb

2. The button's on-state graphic is very faintly "on". I was in a bright room and it took me a long time to realise that the on/off state was changing. I have 20/20 vision, so I suspect that any vision impaired user will definitely struggle.

i second that (and i also made a few changes in a screenshot just sent earlier) ... maybe simon will grab those ideas and make the on off state a bit easier to see ... especially for vision impaired users or users with small screens (and on a fieldday in bright sunlight hi hi)

3. It would be very useful if you add some sort of signal strength display (either SNR or RSSI). This telemetry signal is the most consistent signal on the transponder and as we all mess around with dish pointing, coax runs etc, it would be great to have *one* metric we could refer back to to see if the changes we're making are improving our reception.

use the steady carrier of the cw beacon ... THAT is the most consistent signal to tune your antenna ... switch the readout to dbuv ... cause there your can then see tenth of a db steps

what i do is ... i use the signal history box ... but zoom it up  with setting the high and low slider in spectrum a bit different (spreading the sensitivity of the signal history that way) ...

the psk beacon shows different snr ... depending of the modulation of the signal ... the steady cw carrier is easier to measure exactly

Thanks again,
Off to the donation page!

yepp ... dog needs food ... programmer needs a pint in ferry boat in :-)

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Jonathan, ZS1ARB

Here’s my system now – SNR shown for the beacons, PSK beacon almost on frequency.

To get the beacon in the center adjust the downconverter value. Maybe I should add an auto-twiddle option.

I will add better indication of a button being ‘On’.

[...]

set your lnb to 9750.005.380 (your lnb seems to be 5.38 kc off) ... now the psk beacon should be spot on on exactly 800

i try to set lnb as accurate as possible ... cause then you can also work if the psk beacon is switched off

next reason is ... a "wobble" of say 20 hz ... can not be seen on the beacon windows tie screen if you are 5.3 kc off (resolution is to low then)

but ... if you set the ln correct (say plusminus a few ten hertz) ... then you clearly can see the 20 hz wobble or drift

so there are a few reasons to set the lnb correct

:-)

now the "rit" also changes the complete calibration (lnb setting) ... auto twiddle would mean measure actual offset and the auto upgrade the lnb setting?!? ...

the rit should NOT complete tune the passband but only the receive channel

means rit should NOT shift the beacon but only the actual channel ... and when set to say -200hz ... the rit on off button should jump these 200hz back and forth (like it is in all conventional rigs) ... but the beacon (once set to 800) should NOT jump these 200 hz back and forth

RIT IS NOT FOR SETTING THE LNB!!! ... it is receiver incremental tuning (fine tune) ... auto center of the psk beacon (auto update lnb offset) should be done in the beacon window ... and seperate from the rit function in the receive box (dsp panel)

on off written as number (letter) "O" and "I" ?!? (o/i or 0/1 ... what better looks) ... easier to see as the "light golden shine" ... maybe in red and green?!?

what do YOU think about my "night time design" (white and light gray parts inverted to become black or dark grey) ... just an idea for late night work hi hi

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 29.01.2020 um 09:35 schrieb Simon Brown:

Hi,

[...]

Another comment – the best way to test signals is to measure the noise floor, not the beacon.

[...]

Thats why i prefer dbuv besides s units... And set transponder noise to 0 dbuv
Easy to read signals over noise
Can you PLEASE add switching signal meter to show snr to the button scale in spectrum???
Most of the time i switch between dbuv... And s units... And have the Peaks show snr...
Switching to snr not only in ribbon bar view signal meter... But under the button scale in spectrum... Would be practical.... Not?!?
Greetz sigi dg9bfc

Hi,