Topics

How to keep the DSP window in place ? (floating option)

Patrick

Hi there,

Each time I open the app', the DSP panel stand in the middle of the screen (see attached pic)
I manually set it to the left side and that's OK. But after I close I open again the app, it shows again in the middle of the screen !

I want to keep it "floating", so what should I do for this DSP panel to keep in place ?

Thanks !

Max

Patrick

You have the DSP window stuck in "floating" mode. Double click anywhere on the title bar of the DSP window and this will put it back to "docked" mode.

Here is all about docking/floating windows:
https://www.sdr-radio.com/newpage0adf0777

73

Max

Max

Apologies Patrick, I think I misunderstood your question. Did not realise you want it permanently floating. i must learn to read!

Will leave previous answer in case it helps anyone else. Sorry, don't have an answer for that one.

The previous link is now corrected to:
https://www.sdr-radio.com/LayoutPanes

73

Max

Jack L. Metcalfe <jlmetcalfe@...>

Max wrote on 1/23/2020 3:04 PM:

Patrick

You have the DSP window stuck in "floating" mode. Double click anywhere on the title bar of the DSP window and this will put it back to "docked" mode.

Here is all about docking/floating windows:
https://www.sdr-radio.com/newpage0adf0777
---
I think he wants to keep it floating, but coming up in the same location. I just moved the DSP window to a position above & to the left of the main software, then exited SDR Console. After restart, the DSP window came up right where I had moved it to. I'm not sure why it's not working for Patrick.
--
Jack L. Metcalfe
jlmetcalfe@kywimax.com

Max

Yes, Jack, me too. Even works if I place it on my other monitor. Must be a Windows issue.

Patrick, what about trying the usual "Windows" thing. Having placed the DSP window where you want it, close it down with the top right cross while simultaneously holding down the "Ctrl" key. Then re-open it and see where it is.

If it is back in the middle you might need a registry key fixing possibly. Sure there are others here better qualified, or maybe a good old Google for "Window state/position not remembered"?

73

Max

Jack L. Metcalfe <jlmetcalfe@...>

Max wrote on 1/23/2020 3:38 PM:

Yes, Jack, me too. Even works if I place it on my other monitor. Must be a Windows issue.
---
Max,

Odd for sure, I've exited the Console software three different ways with the DSP window floating & it still goes back to the original position I moved it to.
--
Jack L. Metcalfe
jlmetcalfe@kywimax.com

Simon Brown

Odd,

Works OK on my systems. Will look at this with you next week.

Yes, Jack, me too. Even works if I place it on my other monitor. Must
be a Windows issue.
---
Max,

Odd for sure, I've exited the Console software three different ways with the DSP window floating & it still goes back to the original position I moved it to.
--
Jack L. Metcalfe
jlmetcalfe@kywimax.com
Stanford, KY

Patrick

Hi Max and Jack !

<< I think he wants to keep it floating, but coming up in the same location >>
That's it !
I'm running latest W10 version (1909) and I indeed don't understand why it doesn't work for me.

The 'usual Windows thing' (I wasn't aware of, BTW) did the trick.

The curious tuning is that I then tried - just for fun - to do the same with the 'playback' panel (keep it floating to a specific position) and you know what ? It sits in the middle of the screen when I open SDR Console (using the Windows trick of course).  Pretty weird.

Thanks.

Ron

On 3.0.18 mine stay where I leave them after program restart or pc reboot.

Just upgraded to 3.0.19 and just the same.

Ron, G6BMY

Max

Hi Patrick

Do you mean the "Windows thing" only worked on the DSP window and not on the Playback panel, or that it worked OK on both panels in the end? Or that the DSP panel responded, but not the Playback panel?

I just tried that on mine as well and same applies, positions of both panels always remembered.

Max

Patrick

Hi Max,

<< Do you mean the "Windows thing" only worked on the DSP window and not on the Playback panel >>
Yes, it only worked for the DSP window.
I then tried to do the same with the playback panel, in vain (using the 'CTRL' window trick or exiting the software the usual way).
See pic.

Regards

Max

Patrick

Sounds like more of a Windows issue. I have had the same in the past with specific windows (other than SDRC) that just will not be remembered. If you Google you will see many others with the same issue. I think there are even add-on programs to bodge it right, but I don't personally like those if they can be avoided because the system should just "work".

There could also be an issue with the registry settings for some reason. I am now in territory i do not fully understand so maybe Simon can shed more light or possibly a fix. Fortunately for Jack, Ron and me, we can position these windows and they behave perfectly predictably, so that does lead me to think it is more a Windows issue than a program issue, so Simon may be powerless to help.

I guess if you have cured the DSP window position that is the main thing, so in that respect hopefully problem solved to some degree. Regarding other windows, sometimes I do find with Windows that if you just keep trying the same thing (The "Ctrl" key thing) it does sometime come good for no apparent reason, especially after a few cold reboots, a full shutdown and restart, i.e. hold down "Shift" key when pressing the Windows "Shutdown" icon, if you have "Fast startup" enabled. you might be unintentionally not ever doing a cold reboot if "fast-startup" is enabled, which it is by default in Win 10. Many do not realise this is the case and are almost never cold rebooting when they shut down the PC. I force a cold reboot every now and then, especially when I have an issue like this one.

Anyway, good luck in finding a fix.

73

Max

Patrick

Hello Max,

Thank you for that clarification. This problem with the playback panel is not very annoying but a bit unpleasant anyway ! I wanted to know what could explain it. I will try again what you call 'the Windows thing' in case it solves this small issue + cold reboot. If not, I will simply set it as docked instead of floating.

73 Max

Max

NP Patrick. Good luck!

Max