Topics

Band Plan (like in SDRsharp) #feature #request

goscickiw

I moved to SDR Console from SDR# and I'm missing one of its features - the Band Plan, which simply shows the bands on the bottom of the spectrum. It made it easy to instantly see which band I'm on, and it was customizable (by XML file), so I could add all the local railway, fire, medical etc. bands, TV bands III, IV and V divided into channels etc.
It would be nice to have this feature in SDR Console as well.

Best regards, Wojciech Gościcki

Fred

One thing you could do is to create Markers.

Should work fine but you would have to spend some time making them..

Fred KB4QZH

caeroslp

Hey Guys,

A few weeks ago I thinked about those markers. I also make markers for QO-100 like "《= CW/SSB =》" or "《= SSB", but it is confuse, when you see 10 markers on the spectrum display. If it possible, to mark the bandsectors in different colours plus labels, it will helps me a lot.

Have a nice day,
Dominik DO2DH 

Fred <fmoeves@...> schrieb am Fr., 3. Jan. 2020, 00:55:

One thing you could do is to create Markers.

Should work fine but you would have to spend some time making them..

Fred KB4QZH

goscickiw

The SDR Console's Markers are more like SDR#'s frequency manager or FMSuite's markers. The Band Plan shows entire bands instead of specific frequencies - like on this picture:
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/sdrsharp_dark.jpg
Showing one of the shortwave broadcast bands (blue) and part of the 20m amateur band (red).

Steve KH6CT

Edited

Greetings...
I think the feature you want already exists in Console V3; take a look at this explanation....  https://www.sdr-radio.com/Console/FavouritesandMemories

Attached is a screen shot of my Console V3 setup showing my Favorites panel.  It's on the right side of the spectrum/waterfall; think it can be undocked to place it anywhere.  Simon has already programmed in what most everyone needs, but you can modify them to suit your needs or add more.  I've changed some of the ham bands to reflect my operating limits.  So, you could create a new Favorites definition to show whatever you are interested in.  Once you select a Ham Band or Shortwave Listening band you can toggle the panel off by clicking the little gold star in the Quick Access Bar.

Let us know if this is a feature which would meet your needs.

goscickiw

Edited

I'm aware of this feature and I use it, but it's more useful for selecting bands than seeing which one I'm on while freely browsing (I don't want to have to search for the band in the list every time I move a couple MHz - it would be more convenient to have them listed on a piece of paper). It could be expanded with a Band Plan-like feature - displaying the bands present in Favorites (and maybe also individual frequencies - currently the Markers feature can't show stuff from Favorites - at least I don't know how to do it) on the spectrogram in a similar way that SDR# does it.

Also here is an example of how I could use it - I can instantly see the exact channel of these TV and DAB+ signals:
https://i.imgur.com/t7rwnVt.png

(PS: How do you post images properly?)

Robin Thompson

That’s SEVEN edited messages just to let you know!

Sent from my Phone

On 3 Jan 2020, at 13:14, goscickiw <goscickiw@gmail.com> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

I'm aware of this feature and I use it, but it's more useful for selecting bands than seeing which one I'm on while freely browsing (I don't want to have to search for the band in the list every time I move a couple MHz - it would be more convenient to have them listed on a piece of paper). It could be expanded with a Band Plan-like feature - displaying the bands present in Favorites (and maybe also individual frequencies - currently the Markers feature can't show stuff from Favorites - at least I don't know how to do it) on the spectrogram in a similar way that SDR# does it.

Also here is an example of how I could use it - I can instantly see the exact channel of these TV and DAB+ signals:
https://i.imgur.com/t7rwnVt.png

Paul Gulliver

If you're using the web page to make your posts click on the paper clip to add
images as attachments.

Paul

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

goscickiw

Edited

I'll try that next time. Sorry for so much edits, I tried several ways to post an image and none of them worked. There is no preview option here, like on other websites.

Also, how do I attach an image from another website, that's not mine? Is downloading it and attaching the downloaded image the only way?

HugFR

Having in the future a band plan (editable) 'll be very nice feature.

jdow

For my own playing I looked into this concept. I'd intended to make a tool for creating the SDRSharp band plan list. There is WAY too much custom editing I would have had to do.

Different parts of the world have different band plans and privileges
within portions of the band. To top it off Different parts of the United States have different band plans and privileges within portions of the band. A really prime example is the 70cm band. And that's not enough, different license levels have different band plans and privileges within portions of the band.

I gave up.

{o.o}

On 20200726 13:15:28, HugFR via groups.io wrote:

goscickiw

This seems overly complicated. See how SDR# does this - BandPlan.xml file in attachment. It is edited with just a text editor, and the editor within SDR Console could just be a simple list. This is my modified version, note how I split the TV broadcast bands III, IV and V into individual channels. I'd like to be able to do something like that in SDR Console as well - maybe an ability to add labelled sub-bands to a band, so I don't have to add "Band #" to the description of every channel's label? Also overlapping bands would have to be handled properly which SDR# doesn't do well.

Simon Brown

Hi,

I agree – just something I haven’t got around to yet.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

https://www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of HugFR via groups.io
Sent: 26 July 2020 21:15
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Band Plan (like in SDRsharp) #feature #request

Paul White

My "quickie" contribution.

For "Band Plan" read "Frequency Allocation".

Visual "band" identification is certainly an attractive feature but there are some good reasons why it is not more widely implemented - unless we limit the scope to just the few dozen broadcast and amateur bands.

If Simon wants to host any user-populated "plan", that's fine. But "complicated" is what you get in real life. And you're playing with fire by fiddling the structure and inventing stuff like "channels" or "sub-bands".

I have messed with "band plans" before and failed to come up with a satisfying answer. My approach was:

(a) based on ITU's region-based frequency allocation table
(b) with option to add areal/national allocation variations
(c) and option to add areal/national allotments to block or perhaps channel level
(d) plus (ideally) extensible to frequency assignments

A data model covering the first two is not overly complex, but data had to be entered manually as no structured electronic format was available. Any comprehensive and workable system would need a database populated and updated easily from electronic source data (ITU and available administrations).

That basic framework is all very well except that:

(e) frequency range and allocation "footnotes" (for ITU regions and areal/national) were desirable, especially for understanding shared allocations
(f) many "service" range allocations deserve individual naming - for example the various broadcast and amateur bands, analogue TV Bands IV and V, etc
(g) arguably, "services" need grouping into (possibly multiple) categories
(h) and an uneasy feeling that many range allocations deserve subdivision into band plans

Ranges from the database (filtered for receiver coverage) are easily translated into GUI ribbons and a text window (perhaps outline-style) but there would surely be a demand for user configuration of options, notably:

(i) filtering by service/region/area/nation (single, multiple)
(j) a display strategy for shared allocations
(k) how to accommodate multiple regions/areas/nations

Life is too short.