HF+ WX Reception

Simon Brown

Listening to NOAA-15, Airspy HF+ is the best VHF SDR I have ever used (so far).

Will get WxToImg working later today.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Ron Liekens

Seems nice indeed. Looks like there is a low noise floor, or am I wrong.

Hope it will be released soon :-)

73' Ron
ON2RON

Simon Brown

Very low 😊

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Seems nice indeed. Looks like there is a low noise floor, or am I wrong.

Hope it will be released soon :-)

73' Ron
ON2RON

David Hopkins

While you are at it Simon how about the automatic satellite switching feature.

Would be great for the weather satellites as well for the amateur ones.

David

At 05:56 PM 28/09/2017, you wrote:
Listening to NOAA-15, Airspy HF+ is the best VHF SDR I have ever used (so far).

Will get WxToImg working later today.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Definitely NOT sent from an  iPhone.

David G. Hopkins (VK4ZF)
CAPALABA QLD
AUSTRALIA
27' 32" 23.03S 153' 12' 01.54E
QG62OL
Skype :- davhop

Simon Brown

Agreed

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

While you are at it Simon how about the automatic satellite switching feature.

Would be great for the weather satellites as well for the amateur ones.

David

At 05:56 PM 28/09/2017, you wrote:

Listening to NOAA-15, Airspy HF+ is the best VHF SDR I have ever used (so far).

Will get WxToImg working later today.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Definitely NOT sent from an  iPhone.

David G. Hopkins (VK4ZF)
CAPALABA QLD
AUSTRALIA
27' 32" 23.03S 153' 12' 01.54E
QG62OL
Skype :- davhop

vincent

Simon, even better than the NetSDR with down converter?

Vincent

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 12:56 AM, Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:

Listening to NOAA-15, Airspy HF+ is the best VHF SDR I have ever used (so far).

Will get WxToImg working later today.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Gymnae

It's getting colder, reception is getting better, it's getting more and more time for release. Hopefully mass production is ramped up before Christmas that some of the dark days of November can be spent signal hunting. When is it coming already!  Let's smash F5 some more...

Simon Brown

Well,

I would say ‘quite possibly’ – I’m sure MDS is better and dynamic range also. I must use the NetSDR’s downconverter to be sure of this. Prior to the HF+ I’ve been using the Airspy R2 which I’m sure is a tad better than the NetSDR+Downconverter.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Simon, even better than the NetSDR with down converter?

Vincent

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 12:56 AM, Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:

Listening to NOAA-15, Airspy HF+ is the best VHF SDR I have ever used (so far).

Will get WxToImg working later today.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

carl.physics

Simon, How did the "serious" testing go?
Carl

On Sep 28, 2017 9:34 AM, "Simon Brown" <simon@...> wrote:

Agreed

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

While you are at it Simon how about the automatic satellite switching feature.

Would be great for the weather satellites as well for the amateur ones.

David

At 05:56 PM 28/09/2017, you wrote:

Listening to NOAA-15, Airspy HF+ is the best VHF SDR I have ever used (so far).

Will get WxToImg working later today.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Definitely NOT sent from an  iPhone.

David G. Hopkins (VK4ZF)
CAPALABA QLD
AUSTRALIA
27' 32" 23.03S 153' 12' 01.54E
QG62OL
Skype :- davhop

Simon Brown

Hah – I do have other things to do 😊 .

Bands are crap at the moment, very impressed with VHF.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

While you are at it Simon how about the automatic satellite switching feature.

Would be great for the weather satellites as well for the amateur ones.

David

At 05:56 PM 28/09/2017, you wrote:

Listening to NOAA-15, Airspy HF+ is the best VHF SDR I have ever used (so far).

Will get WxToImg working later today.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Definitely NOT sent from an  iPhone.

David G. Hopkins (VK4ZF)
CAPALABA QLD
AUSTRALIA
27' 32" 23.03S 153' 12' 01.54E
QG62OL
Skype :- davhop

vincent

Thanks Simon, that says alot about the new Airspy

Vincent

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 9:00 AM, Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:

Well,

I would say ‘quite possibly’ – I’m sure MDS is better and dynamic range also. I must use the NetSDR’s downconverter to be sure of this. Prior to the HF+ I’ve been using the Airspy R2 which I’m sure is a tad better than the NetSDR+Downconverter.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Simon, even better than the NetSDR with down converter?

Vincent

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 12:56 AM, Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:

Listening to NOAA-15, Airspy HF+ is the best VHF SDR I have ever used (so far).

Will get WxToImg working later today.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Michael Serowik

Very impressive!!!

Mike- N3BSQ

Bands are crap at the moment, very impressed with VHF.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

While you are at it Simon how about the automatic satellite switching feature.

Would be great for the weather satellites as well for the amateur ones.

David

At 05:56 PM 28/09/2017, you wrote:

Listening to NOAA-15, Airspy HF+ is the best VHF SDR I have ever used (so far).

Will get WxToImg working later today.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Definitely NOT sent from an  iPhone.

David G. Hopkins (VK4ZF)
CAPALABA QLD
AUSTRALIA
27' 32" 23.03S 153' 12' 01.54E
QG62OL
Skype :- davhop

carl.physics

Simon,
Sorry. I thought you told us you sent the hf+ to someone to do some serious testing and that it would return last tuesday. Not trying to push you. Just very interested.
Carl

On Sep 28, 2017 3:00 AM, "Simon Brown" <simon@...> wrote:

Listening to NOAA-15, Airspy HF+ is the best VHF SDR I have ever used (so far).

Will get WxToImg working later today.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

paul newcombe <G6YZC@...>

Well if the HF bands are that bad then am I correct in assuming that you will be testing the Airspy HF+ on 2m EME rather than going to the pub?

Paul N2EME

Bands are crap at the moment, very impressed with VHF.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

While you are at it Simon how about the automatic satellite switching feature.

Would be great for the weather satellites as well for the amateur ones.

David

At 05:56 PM 28/09/2017, you wrote:

Listening to NOAA-15, Airspy HF+ is the best VHF SDR I have ever used (so far).

Will get WxToImg working later today.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Definitely NOT sent from an  iPhone.

David G. Hopkins (VK4ZF)
CAPALABA QLD
AUSTRALIA
27' 32" 23.03S 153' 12' 01.54E
QG62OL
Skype :- davhop

Simon Brown

G4LOH lives close to me, maybe he should have a go 😊

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com