RF Quiet UPS

Simon Brown

Hi,

Can anyone please recommend a UPS which is RF quiet? I have a APC whose square waves generate a lot of crud.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Allan Isaacs

I’m not sure you’ll find such a thing Simon.

For what it’s worth mine is a Powercool 1500VA currently £86.75 + vat from Spire, runs my monitor/computer/Ethernet Switch/Broadband hub and desk lamp. It’s worked OK several times and once when the batteries failed it let me down but a couple of new batteries and it was OK. Not too noisy until the mains fails.

Allan G3PIY

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io [mailto:main@SDR-Radio.groups.io] On Behalf Of Simon Brown
Sent: 01 September 2017 14:52
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: [SDR-Radio] RF Quiet UPS

Hi,

Can anyone please recommend a UPS which is RF quiet? I have a APC whose square waves generate a lot of crud.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Simon Brown

Allan,

Does it generate any crud? I’m not worried about fan noise etc., it’ll live in the computer room. It’s the RF that concerns me.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io [mailto:main@SDR-Radio.groups.io] On Behalf Of Allan Isaacs
Sent: 01 September 2017 18:22
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] RF Quiet UPS

For what it’s worth mine is a Powercool 1500VA currently £86.75 + vat from Spire, runs my monitor/computer/Ethernet Switch/Broadband hub and desk lamp. It’s worked OK several times and once when the batteries failed it let me down but a couple of new batteries and it was OK. Not too noisy until the mains fails.

Allan G3PIY

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io [mailto:main@SDR-Radio.groups.io] On Behalf Of Simon Brown

Hi,

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

vincent

I'm also interested in a quiet UPS for radio's

Vincent

Allan Isaacs

By noisy I meant RF noise Simon. I don’t think mine has a fan at least if it does it’ll be temperature activated..

It’s not bad RF-noisewise unless the mains fails.

Spire charge about £12 delivery which makes it about £116, but I see them on CPC, Ebay and Amazon.

Spire are cheapest if you buy enough stuff to make the postage cost negligible but they hide their prices unless you have an account.

Al the UPS equipments I’ve had for repair are virtually identical in design so will all have roughly the same RF noise.

There’s a big jump in price as you move up the power scale as well as a big increase in weight and cost of replacement batteries which need renewing beyond 2 to 3 years.

Allan G3PIY

Sent: 01 September 2017 18:41

Allan,

Does it generate any crud? I’m not worried about fan noise etc., it’ll live in the computer room. It’s the RF that concerns me.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io [mailto:main@SDR-Radio.groups.io] On Behalf Of Allan Isaacs

Allan G3PIY

Hi,

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Simon Brown

Allan,

Thanks. My APC is horrible – tomorrow or early next week I’m going to power down the entire house and see if anything else is contributing to the noise – it’s about time I did this. I use a Wellbrook loop for RX at the bottom of the garden so I’m OK for on-air but want this crap gone on VHF where the antennas are closer to the house.

I’ll probably buy two of these units – one for my e-mail / Hyper-V server and routers, one for the main development crate.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Sent: 01 September 2017 19:03

By noisy I meant RF noise Simon. I don’t think mine has a fan at least if it does it’ll be temperature activated..

Spire charge about £12 delivery which makes it about £116, but I see them on CPC, Ebay and Amazon.

Spire are cheapest if you buy enough stuff to make the postage cost negligible but they hide their prices unless you have an account.

Al the UPS equipments I’ve had for repair are virtually identical in design so will all have roughly the same RF noise.

There’s a big jump in price as you move up the power scale as well as a big increase in weight and cost of replacement batteries which need renewing beyond 2 to 3 years.

Allan G3PIY

Allan,

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Allan G3PIY

Hi,

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Joe Puma

Can't you put some inline 110or 220v filters on it?

Joe
KD2NFC 

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 1, 2017, at 9:51 AM, Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:

Hi,

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Joe Puma

Show us what you're seeing. Screenshots remember 😃😃😃

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 1, 2017, at 3:41 PM, Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:

Allan,

Thanks. My APC is horrible – tomorrow or early next week I’m going to power down the entire house and see if anything else is contributing to the noise – it’s about time I did this. I use a Wellbrook loop for RX at the bottom of the garden so I’m OK for on-air but want this crap gone on VHF where the antennas are closer to the house.

I’ll probably buy two of these units – one for my e-mail / Hyper-V server and routers, one for the main development crate.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Allan G3PIY

Allan,

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Allan G3PIY

Hi,

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

bill steffey NY9H

simon ,

look for a real interruptible UPS that is running all the time with a sine wave,,,
not as cheap as one of the sbs standbys,..,
i have a eaton poweredge 2300 va.,
... in the next room ( the garage) ... not so cheap but not visible in the analyzer

At 02:03 PM 9/1/2017, you wrote:
Allan G3PIY

----------

Allan,

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Allan G3PIY

----------
From: <mailto:main@SDR-Radio.groups.io>main@SDR-Radio.groups.io [mailto:main@SDR-Radio.groups.io] On Behalf Of Simon Brown
To: <mailto:main@SDR-Radio.groups.io>main@SDR-Radio.groups.io

Hi,

Simon Brown, G4ELI
<http://www.sdr-radio.com>www.sdr-radio.com

Rob Salsgiver

Line filters will help conducted noise on the mains, but not necessarily radiated (switching) noise from in-circuit.  A lot of it depends on whether you have a true sine-wave, modified, or chopped square wave, quality of construction, etc.

Cheers,

Rob / NR3O

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io [mailto:main@SDR-Radio.groups.io] On Behalf Of Joe Puma
Sent: Friday, September 01, 2017 1:13 PM

Can't you put some inline 110or 220v filters on it?

Joe

KD2NFC 

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 1, 2017, at 9:51 AM, Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:

Hi,

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Allan Isaacs

I’ve spent a lot of time trying to pinpoint interference Simon.

The funniest experiment was switching off the mains switch at the consumer unit with my portable radio at the ready,

Clonk… and the noise increased dramatically. Of course it was the UPS kicking in. I’d forgotten about it.

My MF/LF antenna is located away from the house, as is my discone. They’re both fine.

That is without my IP cameras switched on. These are absolutely horrendous and my extensive CAT5 network transmits broadband noise over a huge area.

I found the worst VHF interference originates in the latest switching power supplies. In an effort to reduce component count a new type uses self resonance of the transformer and this can produce crystal type stability of VHF harmonics. I first encountered this when Red Funnel asked me to figure out why their Red Falcon ferry dishwasher wiped out their main ship to shore radio channel.

Other culprits are those dratted mains-ethernet adaptors.

I also found our washing machine sits there whilst off, but playing musical tones over the medium waveband.

Allan G3PIY

Sent: 01 September 2017 20:42

Allan,

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Allan G3PIY

Allan,

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Allan G3PIY

Hi,

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Simon Brown

Hi,

Here you go – Noise – 2 shows the results of the APC .

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io [mailto:main@SDR-Radio.groups.io] On Behalf Of Joe Puma
Sent: 01 September 2017 21:16

f5mwa

Hello Simon,

Strange, because I've a Smart-UPS APC C 1500 VA since 5 years without any interference problems. It supplies the entire shack. Probably the cheaper models are critical. This one delivers a pure sinusoidal wave. I replaced the battery only once.
Of course the price is high (600+ €) but it has been a very reliable source for all those years. The difference of mine with the new models is only the LCD display.
Before this one I had a cheap one but was destroyed by a voltage surge during a thunderstorm.

Siegfried Jackstien

the quietest power supply is a big battery and run all your gear on 12v :-D

dg9bfc sigi

Am 02.09.2017 um 06:07 schrieb Simon Brown:

Hi,

Here you go – Noise – 2 shows the results of the APC .

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Sent: 01 September 2017 21:16

Max

Hi Simon

Sorry to resurrect and old thread but did you ever find an RF quiet UPS or did you end up adding external RFI filters perhaps?

Best

Max

Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU

Do not get a APC XS 1300 UPS !
https://sdr-radio.groups.io/g/main/message/38543

Still on bench (unused), guess I'll take the battery out and make it a target for one of the rifles so it doesn't fall into enemy hands!

Kriss KA1GJU

Kurt Cathcart

I have that same UPS.  It's not a problem in my shack.

-Kurt, KR2C

On 12/6/2019 8:18 AM, Kriss Kliegle wrote:

Still on bench (unused), guess I'll take the battery out and make it a target for one of the rifles so it doesn't fall into enemy hands!

Kriss KA1GJU
-- 

-Kurt, KR2C

Jerry Lofstead W3CDE

I have one and it's quiet.
You may  have a MOV that is bad in yours to cause noise.
APC has the quietest UPSs available.

On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 8:58 AM Kurt Cathcart <kurt@...> wrote:

I have that same UPS.  It's not a problem in my shack.

-Kurt, KR2C

On 12/6/2019 8:18 AM, Kriss Kliegle wrote:

Kriss KA1GJU
-- 

-Kurt, KR2C

Max

Kris/Kurt/Jerry..... Seen good and bad written about APS. I guess it just depends on particular models?

Saw on RFI discussion someone recommends this (US and UK models available - for some reason the UK is pricey pound for dollar):
https://www.cyberpower.com/uk/en/product/series/pfc_sinewave

Any thoughts or experiences of this brand? I have a Belkin which I thought was a good brand but just discovered it is awful for RFI and looking to change it.

Max

Max

Just for the benefit of others in concluding my extremely noisy RFI issue with my old Belkin UPS, I finally bought the Cyberpower UPS I mentioned in this same thread about a month ago.

I can confirm that on first use it does indeed appear to be extremely quiet across all the HF bands I have tried. The only way I can hear any RFI from it is with portable SW receiver and placing whip antenna hard up against the case, and even then it is pretty insignificant. In normal use with horrible inefficient random end fed antenna with no matching (worst antenna for RFI issues) and running into the room right next to the UPS it is completely inaudible on HF bands, at least I am yet to find any emissions from it so far.

It does generate a bit of RF noise with main AC power disconnected and running on batteries, but if my power has gone off, listening to HF radio is not usually the first thing on my mind. I think most UPSs would be the same in this condition.

I bought the 1500VA model and with a large tower case desktop PC running and two 22" monitors and several hard drives (UPS reporting 200W power draw) it reports approximately 40 minutes run time to off.

Also, unlike my old Belkin model that was a right royal pain to change the batteries, the batteries on this model are very simple slide-in replacements apparently, which is also a relief. It is also extremely compact, much smaller than I was expecting.  

So for those who need a UPS without a bag load of RFI plastered all over the mains AC supply then I can vouch for this one.

Max

On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 02:32 PM, Max wrote:
Kris/Kurt/Jerry..... Seen good and bad written about APS. I guess it just depends on particular models?

Saw on RFI discussion someone recommends this (US and UK models available - for some reason the UK is pricey pound for dollar):

Any thoughts or experiences of this brand? I have a Belkin which I thought was a good brand but just discovered it is awful for RFI and looking to change it.

Max