No audio Console V3 and SDRPlay2

Jim McKay

Hello everyone

I am using an SDR Play 2 and SDR Console V3,0 build 811

Everything was working fine yesterday but today everything is working except I have no audio.

I have checked to make sure I have selected the correct output from the DSP for RX1. Nothing is muted.

The waterfall in V3 is showing lots of signals, I just can not decode them.
The audio is working fine in Console V2,0 and SDR Uno (just checked again).

I have spent 3 hours this morning trying to get the audio but I have silence!

Please help! I dont know what else to try!

Thanks Jim

D R

Hi Jim,

That's exactly what happened to me a couple of weeks ago, but I found that I couldn't select the Hi-Z antenna either (it wasn't even showing up in the menu).  Whether that was linked to the problem I don't know, but the RSP1 worked ok, and the RSP2 was fine with SDR Uno but wouldn't give a squeak with SDR-Console v3.  I spent a couple of hours swapping antennas and trying different inputs and gain settings, without any effect.  Eventually it suddenly returned to normal after I tuned to an FM broadcast station, then back to HF - I just clicked on the waterfall and the audio magically came back, along with the HI-Z antenna menu option!

It may be something to do with the RSP2's input levels and Console's Auto-Mute, as I'd found a few days earlier that the RSP2 would regularly trigger Auto-Mute when I had a homemade active magnetic loop connected to the Hi-Z input, but not when it was connected to SMA A or SMA B.  Console was also very particular about the gain settings (usually had be something like RF 7, IF -45dB Manual to get it to work at all), indicating that the RSP2 was overloading (even though there was no problem with it on SDR Uno).  I found that the RSP1 actually worked much better with the magnetic loop than I could ever get the RSP2 to, so the RSP2 was relegated to FM and UHF duties only.  Auto-Mute had been turned off for a few days before I decided to try giving the RSP2 another chance to perform on the magnetic loop, and that's when the audio vanished altogether (and Auto-Mute was still off when it came back).

I haven't tried repeating the magnetic loop - RSP2 experiment, but as I'm now not the only one to have experienced the same problem it does point to there being a bug somewhere.  Keep fiddling with it, Jim and, with luck, it will start working again.

Regards,
Dave

I am using an SDR Play 2 and SDR Console V3,0 build 811
Everything was working fine yesterday but today everything is working except I have no audio.
I have checked to make sure I have selected the correct out put from the DSP for RX1. Nothing is muted.
The waterfall in V3 is showing lots of signals, I just can not decode them.
The audio is working fine in Console V2,0 and SDR Uno (just checked again).
I have spent 3 hours this morning trying to get the audio but I have silence!
Please help! I dont know what else to try!
Thanks Jim

Cormac, EI4HQ

Edited

Jim et al,

I've had a similar experience today and came onto the group to seek help - the first message I fell over was yours Jim. Just this morning I installed SDR console V3 build 811 (64 bit) on a new Windows 10 machine. I've been using an SDRPlay RSP1.

With this new setup, I'm getting clear audio decode for broadcast FM stations i.e. when RF signals are strong but I've being going nuts all day trying to get audio for the NOAA APT satellites (circa 137MHz, WFM, 40KHz filter). The satellite RF signals are as per usual quite solid (I've an external QFH antenna as I regularly pull down pictures from the NOAA birds) but not anywhere near as strong as the BFM stations of course. However, no usable decoded audio was coming through for the satellites. Eventually, I figured out that the issue appears to be something to do with audio levels; NOAA 15 has just made quite a high pass here (the first decently high satellite pass since I noticed this problem) and audio did finally come through on that pass, however only toward the top of the pass i.e. when the signal was at its very strongest... That said, the audio didn't sound right - it was both scratchy and distorted (clipping).

Throughout the day I've tried changing frequency, filters, mode etc, in SDR console and, in desperation I've also tried fiddling with every audio setting I can find in Windows but to no avail. Only a very strong RF signals seems to result in audio from the setup I've outlined above. For all but the strongest signals, the received audio spectrum in SDR console is showing no audio wave form present (just static noise) though the IF spectrum is showing the RF signal as normal...

I rebooted the machine just now, and having restarted SDR console I'm getting "some" audio on the satellite signals but it's not at all right - the audio is still distorted and nothing like as strong as it should be. I've also noticed that on the RF spectrum display, a "hole" is appearing just off the centre frequency (it's appeared both to the left and to the right of fc at different times). I can make the "hole" disappear for a while by changing the LO mode but then after 30-60s it returns... I can't even begin to speculate about what, but something ain't right with the DSP chain and the RSP1 in the particular setup I've on the go ...

Finally, I've been using a Windows 7/64 bit machine with SDR Console v3, also build 811 and the same RSP1 for the sat decoding before today. For old rope, at the start of the above mentioned NOAA 15 pass, I reconnected the RSP1 to that Win7 PC, fired up SDR Console (also build 811) and the audio came thumping through even as the satellite was just peaking above the horizon... Differences; PC hardware, Windows 10...

BR
Cormac, EI4HQ
[Cobh, Cork Harbour, IO51uu / UTC+1] NNNN++++

Joe Puma

I've done NOAA APT plenty of times with SDR console v3. Make sure you don't have any noise reduction turned on.  Also make sure your squelch is off. If you're not getting 24 dB of signal to noise ratio from APT you're not going to get a good decode,  but I did read that you mentioned with other setups you have no problems. How are you paving the audio output of the signal into an ATP decoder and which decoder are you using? Just curious. Wxtoimg displays the volume of your input on the lower right-hand corner. It should be set to somewhere around 60% when the level is in the green.

Joe
KD2NFC

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 27, 2017, at 1:52 PM, Cormac EI4HQ <ei4hq.mail@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]
[Reason: updates]

[...]

Joe,

Nice to meet you. Using WxToImg to decode. I've checked all potential sources of distortion in the SDR Console v3 audio path and can't find any i.e. noise reduction, squelch etc. I'm using Virtual Audio Cable to patch the audio to WxtoImg (as I am in my Windows 7 setup) and I've run every check I can think of on that particular aspect - it's working fine with everything else. The issue is the audio contains no modulation at point of departure from SDR Console v3...

I've no issues with the other APT decode setup here (the one running on Windows 7) and everything in SDR Console v3 and WxToImg is set up the same on Windows 10 as it is on that working Win7 installation. Something weird is going on during the signal decode in SDR Console v3 with the RSP1 on the Windows 10 box... what's messing up the DSP chain? That's the question...

BR
Cormac, EI4HQ

Joe Puma

Cormac,

Yeah it's all pretty straightforward and it sounds like you're not doing anything wrong. Have you tried another SDR programs like SDR# to rule out that the issue isn't the virtual audio cable? Have you tried to listen to that ATP signal on your speakers in SDR Console? How does it sound?

If all else fails and short of uninstalling and reinstalling software I would reset SDR Console and reset or re-create the virtual audio cable. Good luck let us know how you make out.

Joe,
KD2NFC

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 27, 2017, at 3:51 PM, Cormac EI4HQ <ei4hq.mail@...> wrote:

[...]

Dave, Joe, Corman, guys: I can not get it to work tried everything you suggested. Is there a more up to date build that 811 for 64 bit that is not prone to anti virus issues? Still no audio any advice please?

D R

Hi Jim,

Build 845 is the latest, but 811 is still working for me.  Try installing 845 into a different directory - all your settings will still be retained, but if you've got a corrupted file in the 811 dir it might make the difference.

Regards,
Dave