RS-918SSB - SDR Transceiver

Simon Brown

Hi All,

I know little about this radio, set attached documents.

Transceiver Cost - $350

Shipping Cost - $30

Total Cost - $380

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Dick <w1ksz@...>

RS = Radio Shack ??

HI HI

73, Dick, W1KSZ

ps: It does look nice.

Sent from Outlook

I know little about this radio, set attached documents.

Transceiver Cost - $350

Shipping Cost - $30

Total Cost - $380

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

George Steube <at6c@...>

Hi Simon,
Where did you find this radio for sale at $350 plus shipping?
73, George
W2GS

On 8/25/2017 12:54 PM, Simon Brown wrote:

Hi All,

I know little about this radio, set attached documents.

Transceiver Cost - $350

Shipping Cost - $30

Total Cost - $380

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

doug

On 08/25/2017 12:57 PM, Dick wrote:

RS = Radio Shack ??

HI HI

73, Dick, W1KSZ

ps: It does look nice.

Sent from Outlook

I know little about this radio, set attached documents.

Transceiver Cost - $350

Shipping Cost - $30

Total Cost - $380

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Check out this URL: http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?topic=115228.0

--doug WA2SAY

Alan Woodman

Sorry, I sent to in error to an individual poster rather than the group.

I think Simon may have confused Pounds with Dollars in his price comments on this transceiver.
I believe Amazon shows it for $580.

Mike Parry

Simon is correct in saying that the price is in U.S Dollars and is indeed $ 350 plus $ 30 shipping. I don't know if the same shipping charges would apply to the U.K.

Amazon U.K. are selling the same thing for £ 599.00. ......welcome to rip off Britain !

They appear to be manufactured by http://en.recentchina.com/product_detail.php?id=42

Here is a recent review. http://www.kona.eham.net/reviews/detail/13489

Mike

Falmouth S.W. U.K.

On 26/08/2017 01:11, Alan Woodman wrote:
Sorry, I sent to in error to an individual poster rather than the group.

I think Simon may have confused Pounds with Dollars in his price comments on this transceiver.
I believe Amazon shows it for $580.

Simon Brown

Well,

It's the seller who's ripping off 😊 . You can order from China for $350 + shipping + VAT.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Simon is correct in saying that the price is in U.S Dollars and is indeed $ 350 plus $ 30 shipping. I don't know if the same shipping charges would apply to the U.K.

Amazon U.K. are selling the same thing for £ 599.00. ......welcome to rip off Britain !

They appear to be manufactured by
http://en.recentchina.com/product_detail.php?id=42

Here is a recent review. http://www.kona.eham.net/reviews/detail/13489

Mike

Falmouth S.W. U.K.

Mark Jessop

Speaking of being ripped off... that radio is a chinese clone of the mcHF SDR kit. It would have been nice if they at least gave some attribution to the design...

On Sat, Aug 26, 2017 at 3:30 PM, Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:
Well,

It's the seller who's ripping off 😊 . You can order from China for $350 + shipping + VAT.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Simon is correct in saying that the price is in U.S Dollars and is indeed $ 350 plus $ 30 shipping. I don't know if the same shipping charges would apply to the U.K.

Amazon U.K. are selling the same thing for £ 599.00. ......welcome to rip off Britain !

They appear to be manufactured by
http://en.recentchina.com/product_detail.php?id=42

Here is a recent review. http://www.kona.eham.net/reviews/detail/13489

Mike

Falmouth S.W. U.K.

applewiz2000 <rob@...>

It's the mcHF project.

The Chinese made a metal case that looks like an Elecraft KX3. As you can imagine, the open source people who laboured long and hard on the mcHF are not impressed at being ripped off !

73s, Rob
M0RZF

Keith <keithl@...>

Hi Simon and group

The transceiver in question is an MCHF which was developed and still being developed further by Chris M0NKA and is available in various forms see http://www.m0nka.co.uk/

Unless Chris has licenced these manufactories / sellers I believe they may be illegal copies and the quality and reliability could be questionable .

73 Keith GU6EFB

It's the seller who's ripping off 😊 . You can order from China for $350 + shipping + VAT.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Simon is correct in saying that the price is in U.S Dollars and is indeed $ 350 plus $ 30 shipping. I don't know if the same shipping charges would apply to the U.K.

Amazon U.K. are selling the same thing for £ 599.00. ......welcome to rip off Britain !

They appear to be manufactured by
http://en.recentchina.com/product_detail.php?id=42

Here is a recent review. http://www.kona.eham.net/reviews/detail/13489

Mike

Falmouth S.W. U.K.

john rader

This is the chinese knock-off version of the chris-monka mchf-sdr transceiver

On 8/25/2017 1:57 PM, Dick wrote:

RS = Radio Shack ??

HI HI

73, Dick, W1KSZ

ps: It does look nice.

Sent from Outlook

I know little about this radio, set attached documents.

Transceiver Cost - $350

Shipping Cost - $30

Total Cost - $380

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Cecil Bayona

That is what Open Source is all about, if they did not want others to copy the design then it should not have been Open Source, you can't have it both ways.

That said even if it were proprietary the Chinese would have ripped off the design, they have no qualms or morals that would stop them, suing them would be difficult at best.

On 8/26/2017 2:27 AM, applewiz2000 wrote:
It's the mcHF project.
The Chinese made a metal case that looks like an Elecraft KX3. As you can imagine, the open source people who laboured long and hard on the mcHF are not impressed at being ripped off !
73s, Rob
M0RZF
_._,_._,_

Augusto Battistoni <hb9tza@...>

The only thing would be that we, non chinese hams, do not buy such products .
But as usual money is money and bizness is bizness ...
I'm sorry for the developers, and hope ham community may regards them as they deserve; and the same for these that have stolen a design.
Open source should be intende to give something free to our community, not to ease and increase profit oif pirates, right?
73 es 51 , August
PS The same happened to me, in Italy, many years ago: a so-called ham copied a free paper of mines and published it (paid) with his name as author, no care to change the callsigns in the examples nor the typing errors, HI!!! Asi va el mundo, como escribio' Rafael Martinez (sk) en los '50 ...

Il 26/08/2017 18:02, Cecil Bayona ha scritto:

That is what Open Source is all about, if they did not want others to copy the design then it should not have been Open Source, you can't have it both ways.

That said even if it were proprietary the Chinese would have ripped off the design, they have no qualms or morals that would stop them, suing them would be difficult at best.

On 8/26/2017 2:27 AM, applewiz2000 wrote:
It's the mcHF project.

The Chinese made a metal case that looks like an Elecraft KX3. As you can imagine, the open source people who laboured long and hard on the mcHF are not impressed at being ripped off !

73s, Rob
M0RZF
_._,_._,_

Joe Puma

To me these are just QRP kits in fancy cases.

I have a BitX40 and found this one along the way.

Joe
KD2NFC

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 26, 2017, at 2:00 AM, Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:

Well,

It's the seller who's ripping off 😊 . You can order from China for $350 + shipping + VAT.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Simon is correct in saying that the price is in U.S Dollars and is indeed $ 350 plus $ 30 shipping. I don't know if the same shipping charges would apply to the U.K.

Amazon U.K. are selling the same thing for £ 599.00. ......welcome to rip off Britain !

They appear to be manufactured by
http://en.recentchina.com/product_detail.php?id=42

Here is a recent review. http://www.kona.eham.net/reviews/detail/13489

Mike

Falmouth S.W. U.K.

Joe Puma

It's also hard to call these two similar or one a knock off of the other, visually. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Joe
KD2NFC

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 26, 2017, at 1:38 PM, Joe Puma <kd2nfc@...> wrote:

[...]

<image1.PNG>

john rader

I don't normally respond to discussions like this, but, in the end it boils down to the integrity of each individual ham. And is a decision they will have to make and live with. Personally, I do not purchase any knock-offs made of open source designs regardless of cost, as the plans for construction, and even help in most cases, is freely available. Also I firmly believe in supporting fellow hams in their endeavors. I purchased all 4 of my mchf's from Chris Monka.

John

On 8/26/2017 1:30 PM, Augusto Battistoni wrote:

[...]

jlgray.kr3ep@...

That rig is a chinese copy of a design by Chris M0NKA. Chris ver is a kit ver .6. The RS918 is a copy of Chris ver.4 . Chris never authorized the chinese to make his radio.

Jeffrey Gray <jlgray.kr3ep@...>

It is a chines knock off. Chris M0NKA designed it. His version is .6. The RS 918 is an older Ver .4. M0nka.co.uk is where you get the kit from the designer. The kit is cheaper.

Freeman Pascal

That appears to be a Chinese knock off of the mcHF transceiver. My v0.4 version is nearly complete. Just need to finish installing the PA and winding the coils.

The hardware is not opensource, though firmware is.  Please don't support eBay knockoffs.

For more info checkout, http://www.m0nka.co.uk/

-Freeman, N5FPP

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 11:54 AM, Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:

Hi All,

I know little about this radio, set attached documents.

Transceiver Cost - $350

Shipping Cost - $30

Total Cost - $380

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Jeffrey Gray <jlgray.kr3ep@...>

The RS 918 is a Chinese made knockoff. It is an older version of Chris M0NKA McHF. Chris ver is ver .6. The 918 is M0NKAs McHF ver .4. To get the kit that Chris makes is at M0NKA.co.uk