Sharing Favorites Over Several PCs

Dominic Dambro

If this is even possible, I'd love directions.
I have Version 3, Build 811 installed on several PCs around the house; two Windows 10 desktops, one Windows 10 laptop and a Windows 7 laptop.
I would love to sync my favorites among all of them. If I add a favorite while listening in the kitchen, I would like it to be available to me when I use a laptop in the bedroom.
Is it possible to keep a central favorites file and share it on the network? I use an Afedri SDR-Net with SDR Console over LAN, so I like to move around.

Thanks,
Dominic

John Barnett

Google xmarks this will do what you need. Be sure to turn off any synchronization in your browsers as this will confuse Xmarks, depending on your browser you will need to download extensions from the browsers extension store.

Regards
John Barnett

York North Yorkshire Locator IO93lw

On 12 August 2017 at 21:20, Dominic Dambro <dominic1967@...> wrote:
I have Version 3, Build 811 installed on several PCs around the house; two Windows 10 desktops, one Windows 10 laptop and a Windows 7 laptop.
I would love to sync my favorites among all of them. If I add a favorite while listening in the kitchen, I would like it to be available to me when I use a laptop in the bedroom.
Is it possible to keep a central favorites file and share it on the network? I use an Afedri SDR-Net with SDR Console over LAN, so I like to move around.

Thanks,
Dominic

David J Taylor

Thanks,
Dominic
================================

Dominic,

I've not been able to check this, but having just a central file accessible by all PCs? Failing that, if software doesn't allow you to specify a central location perhaps....

1 - you could use DropBox (or Google Drive, or One Drive?) to share a file across several PCs.

2 - you could wrap the invocation of the software in a script which copied the files from the central location to the local disk at the start, and back again at the end.

Let's hope (1) and (2) aren't needed.

Cheers,
David
--
SatSignal Software - Quality software written to your requirements
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv

Simon Brown

Hi,

This is something I've thought about and would like myself. I don't have a perfect solution at the moment...

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

-----Original Message-----
Dominic,

I've not been able to check this, but having just a central file accessible by all PCs? Failing that, if software doesn't allow you to specify a central location perhaps....

1 - you could use DropBox (or Google Drive, or One Drive?) to share a file across several PCs.

2 - you could wrap the invocation of the software in a script which copied the files from the central location to the local disk at the start, and back again at the end.

Let's hope (1) and (2) aren't needed.

Cheers,
David
--

Peter Cumminsky <peterconrad@...>

You could use a cloud service (like Dropbox) and appropriate sync software to keep all your devices "favorites" file (and anym others) in sync. That's what I do. I have 3 PC's 3 laptops, 6 tablets and a smartphone or two. WFM!

Simon Brown

Well,

That’s the sort of idea.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

From: SDR-Radio@groups.io [mailto:SDR-Radio@groups.io] On Behalf Of Peter Cumminsky via Groups.Io
Sent: 13 August 2017 15:34
To: SDR-Radio@groups.io
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Sharing Favorites Over Several PCs

You could use a cloud service (like Dropbox) and appropriate sync software to keep all your devices "favorites" file (and anym others) in sync. That's what I do. I have 3 PC's 3 laptops, 6 tablets and a smartphone or two. WFM!

Mark Pettifor

I use the same solution John Barnett suggested, and have been using it for at least 6 or 7 years....Xmarks. Works great. (At least, the Firefox version of it does.)

Mark

Paul Plants

I use all Apple gear and with ICloud it all automatically. 2 computers, iPhone,iPad, 2 laptops. All data transfer automatically.

Paul
W3PLP
Sent from my iPad Air 2

On Aug 13, 2017, at 11:48 AM, Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:

Well,

That’s the sort of idea.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

From: SDR-Radio@groups.io [mailto:SDR-Radio@groups.io] On Behalf Of Peter Cumminsky via Groups.Io
Sent: 13 August 2017 15:34
To: SDR-Radio@groups.io
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Sharing Favorites Over Several PCs

Dominic Dambro

I found a fairly simple workaround that satisfies my needs for now. I first shared the folder that stores SDR Console's "favorites" settings; C:\Users\Dominic\AppData\Roaming\SDR-RADIO.com (V3)\Console\Ident0 (Obviously, your username may not be Dominic!) I did this on what I'll consider my "main" PC, though I don't think it matters.

Next, I mapped that share to my other PC. (To keep things simple, I'm only going to do this on my two desktops. Laptop solution will be for another day.) Having the drive mapped, I installed Microsoft's SyncToy 2.1 and set a new sync pair- the mapped drive and the local favorites folder. I simply hit "run" from SyncToy and it syncs the folder on both computers. I can do it as often as I like and even set it to a schedule. All free. Great program for syncing.

The really simple approach is to just use a Remote Desktop Connection and truly use just one PC from anywhere. But I needed a challenge.

I never tried Xmarks, but if it will sync an XML doc from a program folder, then yeah- that sounds like a winner. Until Simon incorporates network share functionality!

Thanks for a wonderful program, Simon.