Inquiry from beginner about SDR

big.zigzag@...

Dear Friends,

Good day,

In the beginning I would like to thank you all about this great group which provide a good information.
I'm beginner user of SDR, I have (NooElec NESDR SMArt Bundle)

I'm using as software SDRSharp,

I can listen to VHF without any problem, but when I want to listen to HF I can not catch any signal.
I'm using below setting

When I use this setting the screen look like there is many signals but there is no any real signal from armature radio . as below.

I'm using comet gp-9 antenna.

My questions is
1-how can I use my SDR to listen to HF armature radio ?
2- How to findout the correct shift number which I should set ?

What antenna should I use if my antenna not good for SDR ?

My location is Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
And sorry for my English language is not good .

Thanks for your help
MJ

Jim Smith G0OFE

The RTLs dont cover below about 24Mhz unless they have been specifically modified, and even then it recieves very badly on frequencies below that.

================================
Jim, Bournemouth, Dorset. IO90BR.
Elad FDM-S2, Perseus/FM+, SDRPlay and Funcube Dongle SDR Recievers
8-element OP-DES for Band 2, 12-ele ZL Special for 2m, plus wideband vertical. Wellbrook 1530 Loop for LF

On 11/08/2017 13:55, big.zigzag@... wrote:
[...]

Dear Jim,

Thanks for your reply

I want ask you about other thing

I have Sangean ATS-909X radio I can receive some HF ham radio , but how can I improve the receiving by using external antenna , if I can build one or I bye a ready one , which one is better for this radio.

Thanks

On Aug 11, 2017, at 5:04 PM, Jim Smith G0OFE <sdr-radio@...> wrote:

The RTLs dont cover below about 24Mhz unless they have been specifically modified, and even then it recieves very badly on frequencies below that.

================================
Jim, Bournemouth, Dorset. IO90BR.
Elad FDM-S2, Perseus/FM+, SDRPlay and Funcube Dongle SDR Recievers
8-element OP-DES for Band 2, 12-ele ZL Special for 2m, plus wideband vertical. Wellbrook 1530 Loop for LF

On 11/08/2017 13:55, big.zigzag@... wrote:
Dear Friends,

Good day,

In the beginning I would like to thank you all about this great group which provide a good information.
I'm beginner user of SDR, I have (NooElec NESDR SMArt Bundle)
<mime-attachment.jpg>

I'm using as software SDRSharp,

I can listen to VHF without any problem, but when I want to listen to HF I can not catch any signal.
I'm using below setting
<mime-attachment.jpg>

When I use this setting the screen look like there is many signals but there is no any real signal from armature radio . as below.
<mime-attachment.jpg>

I'm using comet gp-9 antenna.

My questions is
1-how can I use my SDR to listen to HF armature radio ?
2- How to findout the correct shift number which I should set ?
<mime-attachment.jpg>

What antenna should I use if my antenna not good for SDR ?

My location is Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
And sorry for my English language is not good .

Thanks for your help
MJ

Joe Puma

A really long wire should do the trick. But you can also build a simple dipole for the bands of interest you are trying to receive.

Joe

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 11, 2017, at 2:18 PM, zig zag <big.zigzag@...> wrote:

[...]

Alan G4ZFQ

I'm beginner user of SDR, I have (NooElec NESDR SMArt Bundle)
I'm using as software SDRSharp,
I can listen to VHF without any problem, but when I want to listen to HF I can not catch any signal.
I'm using below setting
Which one is it?
http://www.nooelec.com/store/nesdr-smart.html
The top one covers 24MHz upwards, "Additional Information - Frequency Range (approximate) 25MHz - 1750MHz"
The bottom one uses a converter, not direct sampling.
(Direct sampling can give very poor results.)

Alan

Michael Wheatley

You may need a transverter.  See: http://airspy.com/spyverter-r2/

Michael

zig zag <big.zigzag@...>

I have the top

On Aug 11, 2017, at 5:57 PM, Alan G4ZFQ <alan4alan@...> wrote:

I'm beginner user of SDR, I have (NooElec NESDR SMArt Bundle)
I'm using as software SDRSharp,
I can listen to VHF without any problem, but when I want to listen to HF I can not catch any signal.
I'm using below setting
Which one is it?
http://www.nooelec.com/store/nesdr-smart.html
The top one covers 24MHz upwards, "Additional Information - Frequency Range (approximate) 25MHz - 1750MHz"
The bottom one uses a converter, not direct sampling.
(Direct sampling can give very poor results.)

Alan

Mark Cayton <mcayton@...>

HF reception will be extremely poor on your Comet GP-9 antenna.  I have one of those, it's designed specifically for 2 meters and 70cm, it will barely pick up anything at all on any of the HF bands.  You'll be much better off using just a long wire.

Mark  KF5VQY

Alan G4ZFQ

I have the top
I have (NooElec NESDR SMArt Bundle)
I can listen to VHF without any problem, but when I want to listen to HF I can not catch any signal.
http://www.nooelec.com/store/nesdr-smart.html
The top one covers 24MHz upwards,
Look at
"Additional Information - Frequency Range (approximate) 25MHz - 1750MHz"
It does not cover HF. Get the converter.

Alan