CAT Control


Joe Puma
 

Hi Simon,

 

Is the CAT control functions working in SDRconsole V3? I’m trying to get it to work with HDR 3rd party comm port and I think I have all the setting right but still SDRconsole or HDR don’t respond. I am using VSPD to connect both and when I connect SDRconsole to test with I/O Test, it does connect and I can read data from HDR and also manually make settings like change RX freq, or change mode. HDR responds no problem as well as the rig HDR is connecting to.

 

But when I put a check next to the comm port Controllers/CAT (Serial Port)/Port Selection I get nothing, even the I/O Monitor doesn’t show anything. Btw, the HDR 3rd party does support Kenwood protocol.

 

Thanks,

Joe

KD2NFC

 

 

 

 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 


Joe Puma
 

Forgot to add the beloved screen shots

 

 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Joe Puma
Sent: Wednesday, August 9, 2017 2:26 AM
To: SDR-Radio@groups.io
Subject: [SDR-Radio] CAT Control

 

Hi Simon,

 

Is the CAT control functions working in SDRconsole V3? I’m trying to get it to work with HDR 3rd party comm port and I think I have all the setting right but still SDRconsole or HDR don’t respond. I am using VSPD to connect both and when I connect SDRconsole to test with I/O Test, it does connect and I can read data from HDR and also manually make settings like change RX freq, or change mode. HDR responds no problem as well as the rig HDR is connecting to.

 

But when I put a check next to the comm port Controllers/CAT (Serial Port)/Port Selection I get nothing, even the I/O Monitor doesn’t show anything. Btw, the HDR 3rd party does support Kenwood protocol.

 

Thanks,

Joe

KD2NFC

 

 

 

 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

 


Jim Smith G0OFE
 

You have a pair COM5 and COM6 set on VSPE, but COM1 selected on HRD?

COM1 and COM2 don't appear to be linked together on VSPE.


Hope this helps.

Jim.


================================
Jim, Bournemouth, Dorset. IO90BR.
Elad FDM-S2, Perseus/FM+, SDRPlay and Funcube Dongle SDR Recievers
8-element OP-DES for Band 2, 12-ele ZL Special for 2m, plus wideband vertical. Wellbrook 1530 Loop for LF


On 09/08/2017 06:28, Joe Puma wrote:

Forgot to add the beloved screen shots

 

 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Joe Puma
Sent: Wednesday, August 9, 2017 2:26 AM
To: SDR-Radio@groups.io
Subject: [SDR-Radio] CAT Control

 

Hi Simon,

 

Is the CAT control functions working in SDRconsole V3? I’m trying to get it to work with HDR 3rd party comm port and I think I have all the setting right but still SDRconsole or HDR don’t respond. I am using VSPD to connect both and when I connect SDRconsole to test with I/O Test, it does connect and I can read data from HDR and also manually make settings like change RX freq, or change mode. HDR responds no problem as well as the rig HDR is connecting to.

 

But when I put a check next to the comm port Controllers/CAT (Serial Port)/Port Selection I get nothing, even the I/O Monitor doesn’t show anything. Btw, the HDR 3rd party does support Kenwood protocol.

 

Thanks,

Joe

KD2NFC

 

 

 

 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

 



Virus-free. www.avast.com


Joe Puma
 

COM1 and com2 are my virtual pairs.  The five and six your seeing over to the right of VSPE are there to create a new pair. Look at VSPE left window where it shows all of your serial ports defined, virtual and physical. 

It's set up correctly, I can even connect SDR consoles test function to its associated comport and I can connect to HDR.  But that's with just using the test I/O function. 

Joe

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 9, 2017, at 3:24 AM, Jim Smith G0OFE <sdr-radio@...> wrote:

You have a pair COM5 and COM6 set on VSPE, but COM1 selected on HRD?

COM1 and COM2 don't appear to be linked together on VSPE.


Hope this helps.

Jim.


================================
Jim, Bournemouth, Dorset. IO90BR.
Elad FDM-S2, Perseus/FM+, SDRPlay and Funcube Dongle SDR Recievers
8-element OP-DES for Band 2, 12-ele ZL Special for 2m, plus wideband vertical. Wellbrook 1530 Loop for LF


On 09/08/2017 06:28, Joe Puma wrote:

Forgot to add the beloved screen shots

 

 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Joe Puma
Sent: Wednesday, August 9, 2017 2:26 AM
To: SDR-Radio@groups.io
Subject: [SDR-Radio] CAT Control

 

Hi Simon,

 

Is the CAT control functions working in SDRconsole V3? I’m trying to get it to work with HDR 3rd party comm port and I think I have all the setting right but still SDRconsole or HDR don’t respond. I am using VSPD to connect both and when I connect SDRconsole to test with I/O Test, it does connect and I can read data from HDR and also manually make settings like change RX freq, or change mode. HDR responds no problem as well as the rig HDR is connecting to.

 

But when I put a check next to the comm port Controllers/CAT (Serial Port)/Port Selection I get nothing, even the I/O Monitor doesn’t show anything. Btw, the HDR 3rd party does support Kenwood protocol.

 

Thanks,

Joe

KD2NFC

 

 

 

 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

 



Virus-free. www.avast.com


Jeff Knapp
 

CAT control does work in V3.  I'm using it in my Frequency Manager Suite to get VFO and frequency data from V3 and to send frequencies to V3.

Jeff


Joe Puma
 

 Which frequency manager suit are you using?

I do see SDR console CAT working when I have it connected to Omni Rig, but even Omni Rig is not playing nicely in itself. But when Omni Rig is set up to connect to SDR console ok Rig1 I can make changes to frequency or other settings and see them both communicating. 

I'm running windows 10 but that shouldn't be a problem, I guess I'm gonna have to try another PC and see if any results are different there.  If you can tell me which frequency manager you were using I can see if SDR console works with it along with these virtual ports.

Thanks,

Joe
KD2NFC  


Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 9, 2017, at 3:42 PM, Jeff Knapp <sdrs.freqmgr@...> wrote:

CAT control does work in V3.  I'm using it in my Frequency Manager Suite to get VFO and frequency data from V3 and to send frequencies to V3.

Jeff


Calder Latham
 

And for what it is worth I am using a TS-590SG (USB connected) and a SDRPlay RSP-2 and SDRConsole V 3.0 build 845 and all are tracking with Omnirig at 57600. Perhaps I misunderstand the issue. FWIW.

Cal...W1HHO
All the Best.
From the woods of Maine.
On 8/9/2017 15:42, Jeff Knapp wrote:

CAT control does work in V3.  I'm using it in my Frequency Manager Suite to get VFO and frequency data from V3 and to send frequencies to V3.

Jeff


Joe Puma
 

Thanks guys. I found that Frequency Manager Suite does work with SDRConsole, but not Ham Radio Deluxe.

 

The real issue is I cant get Omni-Rig to work with a Bluetooth CAT interface I just purchased for my Yaesu FT-840, I found it on eBay. So I cant use Omni-Rig alone with my radio and SDRConsole.

 

So..I was thinking that if SDRConsole and HDR can be connected via the serial port control I would be able to keep SDRConsole and my Radio in sync.

 

I did a another test by trying to connect to SDRConsoles CAT control port with HDR like you would using HDR to connect to your radio. It didn’t work with the Kenwood radio settings but It did with the radio option set to SDR-RADIO. Interesting but that doesn’t help me either. But it does prove that SDRConsoles CAT interface does work, just not with all hosts, or clients that can control via a comm port.

 

I’m checking with the guy who mac the BT CAT interface so he can test the interface with Omni-Rig. I’m hoping for the best.

 

Cheers,

 

Joe

KD2NFC

 

 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Calder Latham
Sent: Wednesday, August 9, 2017 4:18 PM
To: SDR-Radio@groups.io
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] CAT Control

 

And for what it is worth I am using a TS-590SG (USB connected) and a SDRPlay RSP-2 and SDRConsole V 3.0 build 845 and all are tracking with Omnirig at 57600. Perhaps I misunderstand the issue. FWIW.

Cal...W1HHO

All the Best.
From the woods of Maine.

On 8/9/2017 15:42, Jeff Knapp wrote:

CAT control does work in V3.  I'm using it in my Frequency Manager Suite to get VFO and frequency data from V3 and to send frequencies to V3.

Jeff

 

 


 

Cat works fine for me with V3, Windows 10 64 bit. I wrote my own interface to it.
I would change away from Com1 since its probable a physical port on your computer right now.
 
From: Joe Puma
Sent: Wednesday, August 9, 2017 12:31
To: SDR-Radio@groups.io
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] CAT Control
 
COM1 and com2 are my virtual pairs.  The five and six your seeing over to the right of VSPE are there to create a new pair. Look at VSPE left window where it shows all of your serial ports defined, virtual and physical.

It's set up correctly, I can even connect SDR consoles test function to its associated comport and I can connect to HDR.  But that's with just using the test I/O function.

Joe
 
Sent from my iPad

On Aug 9, 2017, at 3:24 AM, Jim Smith G0OFE <sdr-radio@...> wrote:

You have a pair COM5 and COM6 set on VSPE, but COM1 selected on HRD?

COM1 and COM2 don't appear to be linked together on VSPE.

 

Hope this helps.

Jim.

 

================================
Jim, Bournemouth, Dorset. IO90BR.
Elad FDM-S2, Perseus/FM+, SDRPlay and Funcube Dongle SDR Recievers
8-element OP-DES for Band 2, 12-ele ZL Special for 2m, plus wideband vertical. Wellbrook 1530 Loop for LF


On 09/08/2017 06:28, Joe Puma wrote:

Forgot to add the beloved screen shots

 

 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Joe Puma
Sent: Wednesday, August 9, 2017 2:26 AM
To: SDR-Radio@groups.io
Subject: [SDR-Radio] CAT Control

 

Hi Simon,

 

Is the CAT control functions working in SDRconsole V3? I’m trying to get it to work with HDR 3rd party comm port and I think I have all the setting right but still SDRconsole or HDR don’t respond. I am using VSPD to connect both and when I connect SDRconsole to test with I/O Test, it does connect and I can read data from HDR and also manually make settings like change RX freq, or change mode. HDR responds no problem as well as the rig HDR is connecting to.

 

But when I put a check next to the comm port Controllers/CAT (Serial Port)/Port Selection I get nothing, even the I/O Monitor doesn’t show anything. Btw, the HDR 3rd party does support Kenwood protocol.

 

Thanks,

Joe

KD2NFC

 

 

 

 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

 



Virus-free. www.avast.com


Joe Puma
 

I’m on a Mac Book Pro, there’s no comm port. On my PC yes, so that one is avoided. VSPD is also pretty intelligent, it wouldn’t let you try to use a known comm port.

 

Joe

KD2NFC

 

From: SDR-Radio@groups.io [mailto:SDR-Radio@groups.io] On Behalf Of James Brown
Sent: August 9, 2017 8:25 PM
To: SDR-Radio@groups.io
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] CAT Control

 

Cat works fine for me with V3, Windows 10 64 bit. I wrote my own interface to it.
I would change away from Com1 since its probable a physical port on your computer right now.

 

From: Joe Puma

Sent: Wednesday, August 9, 2017 12:31

Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] CAT Control

 

COM1 and com2 are my virtual pairs.  The five and six your seeing over to the right of VSPE are there to create a new pair. Look at VSPE left window where it shows all of your serial ports defined, virtual and physical.

It's set up correctly, I can even connect SDR consoles test function to its associated comport and I can connect to HDR.  But that's with just using the test I/O function.

Joe

 

Sent from my iPad


On Aug 9, 2017, at 3:24 AM, Jim Smith G0OFE <sdr-radio@...> wrote:

You have a pair COM5 and COM6 set on VSPE, but COM1 selected on HRD?

COM1 and COM2 don't appear to be linked together on VSPE.

 

Hope this helps.

Jim.

 

================================
Jim, Bournemouth, Dorset. IO90BR.
Elad FDM-S2, Perseus/FM+, SDRPlay and Funcube Dongle SDR Recievers
8-element OP-DES for Band 2, 12-ele ZL Special for 2m, plus wideband vertical. Wellbrook 1530 Loop for LF

On 09/08/2017 06:28, Joe Puma wrote:

Forgot to add the beloved screen shots

 

 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Joe Puma
Sent: Wednesday, August 9, 2017 2:26 AM
To: SDR-Radio@groups.io
Subject: [SDR-Radio] CAT Control

 

Hi Simon,

 

Is the CAT control functions working in SDRconsole V3? I’m trying to get it to work with HDR 3rd party comm port and I think I have all the setting right but still SDRconsole or HDR don’t respond. I am using VSPD to connect both and when I connect SDRconsole to test with I/O Test, it does connect and I can read data from HDR and also manually make settings like change RX freq, or change mode. HDR responds no problem as well as the rig HDR is connecting to.

 

But when I put a check next to the comm port Controllers/CAT (Serial Port)/Port Selection I get nothing, even the I/O Monitor doesn’t show anything. Btw, the HDR 3rd party does support Kenwood protocol.

 

Thanks,

Joe

KD2NFC

 

 

 

 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

 

 

 

Virus-free. www.avast.com


ghead@...
 

Hi Joe

I am not too sure how far you have got with this but I thought that I would make an offering.  I have just spent about 2 days trying to link SDR Console v3 to HRd V6.3 with some measure of success.  My solution is similar to yours with the exception that I made use of the Syncroisation tool in HRD.  I say "some measure of success" as the syncronization itself only seems to work when I hit the REFRESH button....why there isn't an automatic refresh when the master frequency changes I don't know but I have raised a ticket on it.  I did have a lot of trouble getting the vsp manager to run properly!

So....I can get HRD to control SDR Console v3.....and control my FT3000 via HRD at the same time....if I click REFRESH.

See the attached screenshot.  Still work in proigress!

73es

Greg
G4EBY


Joe Puma
 


Hi Gregory,

What's this synchronization tool in HRD you speak of? Lol. I'm running 6.4, I don't see it. 

It's interesting how you have HRD connected to SDR Console using the Kenwood TS-2000. When I try to connect it's not able to receive the frequency and other settings so it fails connection.  But when I set the radio type to SDR-RADIO,  it connects. Weird. 

So how do I get the two radios in HRD to synchronize and which refresh are you using?

Simon, is there any reason why these two programs can't talk using their comports to control one another? They both support the same Kenwood protocol, but don't seem to be talking properly like when you use other programs like logbooks and frequency manager. What gives? 🤷🏼‍♂️



Thanks,

Joe
KD2NFC 


Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 10, 2017, at 10:29 AM, gregory.head via Groups.Io <gregory.head@...> wrote:

Hi Joe

I am not too sure how far you have got with this but I thought that I would make an offering.  I have just spent about 2 days trying to link SDR Console v3 to HRd V6.3 with some measure of success.  My solution is similar to yours with the exception that I made use of the Syncroisation tool in HRD.  I say "some measure of success" as the syncronization itself only seems to work when I hit the REFRESH button....why there isn't an automatic refresh when the master frequency changes I don't know but I have raised a ticket on it.  I did have a lot of trouble getting the vsp manager to run properly!

So....I can get HRD to control SDR Console v3.....and control my FT3000 via HRD at the same time....if I click REFRESH.

See the attached screenshot.  Still work in proigress!

73es

Greg
G4EBY
<HRD SRD Console v3 linked.bmp>


Joe Puma
 

Looks like I found a working for solution to sync the radio. I'm running a program called Commander version 12.6.7

It connects to my radio and SDR Console is setup as a Secondary CAT control in the Commander program. When I change frequency on the Radio, SDR Console follows, not the other way around though, I change the frequency on SDR Console, the Command and Radio don't follow. 

By the way I also installed the VSP manager from K5FR and uninstalled VSPD since it was a commercial demo. However, I don't see the virtual ports in the left window pain on the VSP manager and when I create the pair I get .NET error. But it does work and it's free so that works for me. 



Joe,
KD2NFC 

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 10, 2017, at 2:27 PM, Joe Puma <kd2nfc@...> wrote:


Hi Gregory,

What's this synchronization tool in HRD you speak of? Lol. I'm running 6.4, I don't see it. 

It's interesting how you have HRD connected to SDR Console using the Kenwood TS-2000. When I try to connect it's not able to receive the frequency and other settings so it fails connection.  But when I set the radio type to SDR-RADIO,  it connects. Weird. 

So how do I get the two radios in HRD to synchronize and which refresh are you using?

Simon, is there any reason why these two programs can't talk using their comports to control one another? They both support the same Kenwood protocol, but don't seem to be talking properly like when you use other programs like logbooks and frequency manager. What gives? 🤷🏼‍♂️



Thanks,

Joe
KD2NFC 


Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 10, 2017, at 10:29 AM, gregory.head via Groups.Io <gregory.head@...> wrote:

Hi Joe

I am not too sure how far you have got with this but I thought that I would make an offering.  I have just spent about 2 days trying to link SDR Console v3 to HRd V6.3 with some measure of success.  My solution is similar to yours with the exception that I made use of the Syncroisation tool in HRD.  I say "some measure of success" as the syncronization itself only seems to work when I hit the REFRESH button....why there isn't an automatic refresh when the master frequency changes I don't know but I have raised a ticket on it.  I did have a lot of trouble getting the vsp manager to run properly!

So....I can get HRD to control SDR Console v3.....and control my FT3000 via HRD at the same time....if I click REFRESH.

See the attached screenshot.  Still work in proigress!

73es

Greg
G4EBY
<HRD SRD Console v3 linked.bmp>