Satellite Tracker 📡 🛰

Joe Puma <theprogramllc@...>

Just want to say good job on the Satellite Tracker in Console V3. I just tried it after using Orbitron to track NOAA with SDR# and WXtoImg and your system worked like a charm Simon. Nice touch on the voice alerts.

Cheers to you Simon 🍺🍺🍺

PS. Just passed my Technician test last week. I failed General by a few questions but I went in cold. Next time!

Joe

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone

Simon Brown

Joe,

Thanks. I find satellites interesting. I’m hoping to get my log periodic up soon, then I’ll start tracking again. When I do I’ll start enhancing this part of the project.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
http://sdr-radio.com

Just want to say good job on the Satellite Tracker in Console V3. I just tried it after using Orbitron to track NOAA with SDR# and WXtoImg and your system worked like a charm Simon. Nice touch on the voice alerts.

Cheers to you Simon 🍺🍺🍺

PS. Just passed my Technician test last week. I failed General by a few questions but I went in cold. Next time!

Joe

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone

Joe Puma <theprogramllc@...>

Sounds good. Quick question. What's the best way to combine all the wav files so I can play back in SDR#?

Currently SDR# has a QPSK plugin to demodulate the signal. I'm trying to decode LRPT from Meteor-M2 and that's the only way I know how ATM.

I have a video editing computer I use and was going to try adobe premiere and just put all the wave files in series on the timeline and render out to match Source settings. I'm wondering if that would work or maybe if there's a simple wav stitching tool I can use.

Joe

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 26, 2017, at 5:19 AM, 'Simon Brown' simon@... [sdr-radio-com] <sdr-radio-com@...> wrote:

Joe,

Thanks. I find satellites interesting. I’m hoping to get my log periodic up soon, then I’ll start tracking again. When I do I’ll start enhancing this part of the project.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
http://sdr-radio.com

Just want to say good job on the Satellite Tracker in Console V3. I just tried it after using Orbitron to track NOAA with SDR# and WXtoImg and your system worked like a charm Simon. Nice touch on the voice alerts.

Cheers to you Simon 🍺🍺🍺

PS. Just passed my Technician test last week. I failed General by a few questions but I went in cold. Next time!

Joe

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone

kwelgeest2003

Hi,
I also started to use V3 as replacement for the Orbitron software. As the satellite I select comes in range I start a recording. However, if I play back the recording there seems not to be any doppler correction in my recording.

That means for Nayif or AO-73 telemetry I have to tune manually in the playback.

Is this a setting I missed, or is it not implemented (yet) ?

Thanks,

Ben

[...]

gautea@...

Hi Ben, the recorder has a setting: Lock radio frequency.
Maybe...........
GL
LB6YD Gaute

Joe Puma <theprogramllc@...>

I don't think the Doppler gets recorded. I noticed that when bird is in sight and Doppler is correct frequency you don't see it effect the frequency you're on SDRConsoles receiver.

I too have to watch for any shifts and correct manually on playback.

Joe,
KD2NFC

Sent from my iPhone

[...]

Hey Simon,

By the way, I've used a little program called WAV joiner and it works combining the .WAV files. Unfortunately it maxes out at 2gb. I'm still on the hunt for a tool.

[...]

WB8CJW <dale.elshoff@...>

I found this in the Audacity help file:
"The largest file size for a WAV file is 4GB (this is the limit for the WAV format)."

Seems like you should be able to combine files with the concatenate operation using the copy command in a command prompt.  You need to add the /b command switch so it handles the files in binary format:

copy file1.wav + file2.wav + file3.wav newfile.wav

This will copy the three files in the example to a new file but will only play to the end of file1.wav and stop.  I don't know what Zip or 7Zip does to multiple files when they are appended to an archive.

I think a better tool like Audacity is needed and it can utilize all of the hard drive that is available if you want.  It has a gauge that indicates the storage space available.

I would say you need to look at compression / codec tools (mp3, mp4) if the length of play time is what you are looking for.  Working with this size of files is going to get slow and tedious.

Dale WB8CJW

On 3/31/2017 12:42 PM, Joe Puma theprogramllc@... [sdr-radio-com] wrote:

[...]

Mart Rahno

Hello!

I just started with satellites and i have high hopes of sdr-console tracker. I have Yaesu 991 and have used it couple of days standalone without computer aid for satellite comm. Not easy at all..

Does current version track only active VFO frequency? It would be helpful if i can set that VFO-A is downlink and VFO-B is uplink for example and i can set that tracker corrects transmit frequency of one of them or even both rx and tx.
If using dongle for receive then correction of only active VFO is ok but in case of VFO-A/B cross band split operation i need VFO-B correction.

I can be very wrong because i am rookie in satellite work so please excuse me!

73, Mart ES2MA

Simon Brown

Hi Mart,

The satellite tracking tracks the downlink using the SDR and optionally the uplink using an external radio (for example the FT 991). It doesn’ tray both VFO-A and VFO-B but that’s a good idea.

There is a problem with the FT-991 – the TX frequency cannot be changed (doppler correction) while you are transmitting.

In the future you will be able to track TX and RX using a SDR transceiver such as the LimeSDR.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
http://sdr-radio.com

I just started with satellites and i have high hopes of sdr-console tracker. I have Yaesu 991 and have used it couple of days standalone without computer aid for satellite comm. Not easy at all..

Does current version track only active VFO frequency? It would be helpful if i can set that VFO-A is downlink and VFO-B is uplink for example and i can set that tracker corrects transmit frequency of one of them or even both rx and tx.

If using dongle for receive then correction of only active VFO is ok but in case of VFO-A/B cross band split operation i need VFO-B correction.

I can be very wrong because i am rookie in satellite work so please excuse me!

73, Mart ES2MA

Mart Rahno

Hello Simon!

Thank you for info! It's a pity that 991 is limited such way. It is possible to correct frequency during transmit with tuning knob. You can watch corrected frequency from tracking screen and try to follow it with station.

I am looking forward to try new releases of your software.

73, Mart

---In sdr-radio-com@..., <simon@...> wrote :

Hi Mart,

The satellite tracking tracks the downlink using the SDR and optionally the uplink using an external radio (for example the FT 991). It doesn’ tray both VFO-A and VFO-B but that’s a good idea.

There is a problem with the FT-991 – the TX frequency cannot be changed (doppler correction) while you are transmitting.

In the future you will be able to track TX and RX using a SDR transceiver such as the LimeSDR.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
http://sdr-radio.com

Simon Brown

Mart,

Yes – great shame about the 991 .

I have fixed quite a few satellite tracking bugs, I plan to make a Pre-Preview kit in a few days and post the links here, this is to ensure the kits don’t explode before they are put on the website. With luck this is the final preview before starting Release Candidates.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
http://sdr-radio.com

---In sdr-radio-com@..., <simon@...> wrote :

Hi Mart,

The satellite tracking tracks the downlink using the SDR and optionally the uplink using an external radio (for example the FT 991). It doesn’ tray both VFO-A and VFO-B but that’s a good idea.

There is a problem with the FT-991 – the TX frequency cannot be changed (doppler correction) while you are transmitting.

In the future you will be able to track TX and RX using a SDR transceiver such as the LimeSDR.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
http://sdr-radio.com

Ken Alexander

I think that applies to several other Yaesu transceivers, notably the FT-817.  I currently use two of them; for transmit and the second one for receive...an FT-1634!

Ken
VE3HLS