LimeSDR Update - Good!

Simon Brown

Hi,

Looks like the Lime boys and their supporters have worked out the simple hardware changes to really get the LimeSDR rocking.

https://discourse.myriadrf.org/t/happy-days-are-here-again-limesdr-lives-in-hf/725

Here’s the 88-108MHz band here at Casa Chaos (see attachment). If all is good I’ll issue Preview 5a early next week with the LimeSDR updates.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
http://sdr-radio.com

vincent

So Simon, how hard is it to take the transformer out? Should the Lime guys do this and not the customer?

Vincent

MIKE DURKIN <Patriot121@...>

It's not the transformer thats the problem but a low value inductor across the I/Q lines that are next to the transformer....

Get Outlook for Android

From: sdr-radio-com@... on behalf of MV Elttba altectogo@... [sdr-radio-com]
Sent: Saturday, February 11, 2017 12:33:15 PM
To: sdr-radio-com@...
Subject: [sdr-radio-com] Re: LimeSDR Update - Good!

So Simon, how hard is it to take the transformer out? Should the Lime guys do this and not the customer?

Vincent

Simon Brown

Vincent,

Not sure J

Simon Brown, G4ELI

Sent: 11 February 2017 20:33

Vincent

Siegfried Jackstien

as already noted ... it is just removing a coil

on the lime hp some user reported it is an easy fix

a user wrote that the coil just "ppped olff" when he touched it

but i am guessing that is seldom ... so fire up your soldering iron and use a good magnifier

then desoldering should be easy

(sadly i do not own a lime ... so can not say more details ... but that is what i read somewhere else)

dg9bfc sigi

Am 11.02.2017 um 20:33 schrieb MV Elttba altectogo@... [sdr-radio-com]:

Vincent

Paul NN4F

Make sure you take the right thing off, someone thought it was the coil you could see, is a smt coil
See image for location, it was me, I just pushed on it with my nail and it came off.... MN18 is the part, it will leave the two solder pads...

Paul - NN4F

Paul Jones - NN4F
Ridgeville, SC EM93TB

Email: paul@...
Facebook.com/groups/sdrplay

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 4:21 PM, Siegfried Jackstien siegfried.jackstien@... [sdr-radio-com] <sdr-radio-com@...> wrote:

but i am guessing that is seldom ... so fire up your soldering iron and use a good magnifier

(sadly i do not own a lime ... so can not say more details ... but that is what i read somewhere else)

dg9bfc sigi

Vincent

vincent

then how difficult is it to remove it?

Vincent

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 12:40 PM, MIKE DURKIN Patriot121@... [sdr-radio-com] <sdr-radio-com@...> wrote:

It's not the transformer thats the problem but a low value inductor across the I/Q lines that are next to the transformer....

Get Outlook for Android

From: sdr-radio-com@... <sdr-radio-com@...> on behalf of MV Elttba altectogo@... [sdr-radio-com] <sdr-radio-com@...>
Sent: Saturday, February 11, 2017 12:33:15 PM

Vincent

vincent

Thanks Paul. maybe the Lime guys will remedy this in the next production run?

Vincent

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 2:11 PM, Paul Jones paul@... [sdr-radio-com] <sdr-radio-com@...> wrote:

Make sure you take the right thing off, someone thought it was the coil you could see, is a smt coil
See image for location, it was me, I just pushed on it with my nail and it came off.... MN18 is the part, it will leave the two solder pads...

Paul - NN4F

Paul Jones - NN4F
Ridgeville, SC EM93TB

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 4:21 PM, Siegfried Jackstien siegfried.jackstien@... [sdr-radio-com] <sdr-radio-com@...> wrote:

dg9bfc sigi

Vincent

doug

On 02/11/2017 05:27 PM, MV Elttba altectogo@... [sdr-radio-com] wrote:

Vincent

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 2:11 PM, Paul Jones paul@... [sdr-radio-com] <sdr-radio-com@...> wrote:

Paul - NN4F

Paul Jones - NN4F
Ridgeville, SC EM93TB

Perhaps it confuses people to call it a "coil"—they might be looking for a physical coil. Call it an inductor.

--doug, retired RF Engineer

dg9bfc sigi

Vincent

-- 
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.--A.M,Greeley

Paul NN4F

Doug. Correct, at first I thought it was the larger ferrite/coil, that could have been a costly mistake

Paul Jones - NN4F
Ridgeville, SC EM93TB

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 5:58 PM, Doug dmcgarrett@... [sdr-radio-com] <sdr-radio-com@...> wrote:

Vincent

Paul - NN4F

Paul Jones - NN4F
Ridgeville, SC EM93TB

Perhaps it confuses people to call it a "coil"—they might be looking for a physical coil. Call it an inductor.

dg9bfc sigi

Vincent

--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.--A.M,Greeley

Andrew O'Brien <k3ukandy@...>

Reading all this is making forget the regret I had for not ordering one last year.
Andy K3UK

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 9:24 PM, Paul Jones paul@... [sdr-radio-com] <sdr-radio-com@...> wrote:

Doug. Correct, at first I thought it was the larger ferrite/coil, that could have been a costly mistake

Paul Jones - NN4F
Ridgeville, SC EM93TB

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 5:58 PM, Doug dmcgarrett@... [sdr-radio-com] <sdr-radio-com@...> wrote:

Vincent

Paul - NN4F

Paul Jones - NN4F
Ridgeville, SC EM93TB

dg9bfc sigi

Vincent

--

vincent

me too Andy, but the brave scouts before us most likely saved a lot of aggravation. Thank god for Simon Brown's SDR Console and Paul and the fellow who found the thingy to remove.
I only LimeSDR folk amend the next batch so that the second wave of purchaser's will not have to modify their board!!!!!!

Vincent

Simon Brown

It does seem to be working quite well now.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

Sent: 12 February 2017 03:06
Subject: Re: [sdr-radio-com] Re: LimeSDR Update - Good!

me too Andy, but the brave scouts before us most likely saved a lot of aggravation. Thank god for Simon Brown's SDR Console and Paul and the fellow who found the thingy to remove.

I only LimeSDR folk amend the next batch so that the second wave of purchaser's will not have to modify their board!!!!!!

Vincent

Bernard Malet

Simon,
You who have the LimeSDR 1.4 can you, please make a screenshot to see the signal of all the Long Wave transmitters.from home
Range 100 KHz to 300 KHz
Tell me with what type of antenna you receive this low band
What modification have you made?
Thank you in advance for your help 
Berenard

Siegfried Jackstien

let me do an educated guess ... he unsoldered that one coil (that we had a few posts before) in parallel to the one input transformer ... (it short circuits low end signals) ...

if you live to a stron local mw station ... then you should add a notch filter for that station ... or for the whole mw band

otherwise these strong station(s) may mask out lower signals

dg9bfc sigi

Am 12.02.2017 um 13:23 schrieb malet-bernard@... [sdr-radio-com]:

Simon,
You who have the LimeSDR 1.4 can you, please make a screenshot to see the signal of all the Long Wave transmitters.from home
Range 100 KHz to 300 KHz
Berenard

Simon Brown

Me,

I’ve done nothing yet. There’s a fully-modified LimeSDR on its way to me by courier, should be here on Tuesday I think, then I’ll run some quick tests.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

Sent: 12 February 2017 13:47

let me do an educated guess ... he unsoldered that one coil (that we had a few posts before) in parallel to the one input transformer ... (it short circuits low end signals) ...

if you live to a stron local mw station ... then you should add a notch filter for that station ... or for the whole mw band

dg9bfc sigi

Simon,

Range 100 KHz to 300 KHz

Berenard

paul newcombe <G6YZC@...>

I think you do not give yourself enough kudos. Without you and SDRC there would have been far less people questioning the V1.4 and it may wall have remained a 700MHz LTE radio. That said the 700MHz LTE market is a great one for Lime to aim for.

Thank you.

Paul

N2EME

From: sdr-radio-com@... on behalf of 'Simon Brown' simon@... [sdr-radio-com] <sdr-radio-com@...>
Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2017 11:52 AM
Subject: RE: [sdr-radio-com] Re: LimeSDR Update - Good!

Me,

I’ve done nothing yet. There’s a fully-modified LimeSDR on its way to me by courier, should be here on Tuesday I think, then I’ll run some quick tests.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

dg9bfc sigi

Simon,

Range 100 KHz to 300 KHz

Berenard

MIKE DURKIN <Patriot121@...>

N2EME i have a question for you .. i dont have any one in my area to ask this question that im aware of ....

Is there such a thing as a quadrature transformer for 12Ghz that is used the same way as T6 of Tx2_1 that your aware of?

From: sdr-radio-com@... <sdr-radio-com@...> on behalf of paul newcombe G6YZC@... [sdr-radio-com]
Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2017 8:58 AM

I think you do not give yourself enough kudos. Without you and SDRC there would have been far less people questioning the V1.4 and it may wall have remained a 700MHz LTE radio. That said the 700MHz LTE market is a great one for Lime to aim for.

Thank you.

Paul

N2EME

From: sdr-radio-com@... on behalf of 'Simon Brown' simon@... [sdr-radio-com]
Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2017 11:52 AM
Subject: RE: [sdr-radio-com] Re: LimeSDR Update - Good!

Me,

Simon Brown, G4ELI

dg9bfc sigi

Simon,

Range 100 KHz to 300 KHz

Berenard