Intel's "PC on a USB stick/drive"

josephrot

SIR-related perhaps as additional potential for running SDR-Radio or similar software...

Closer to actual-use reality, but even excited industry insiders say still initially too expensive and "potentially flimsy at a high initial price".

Initial blurb excerpt and example article link:

<<  You can finally order the Intel USB stick that turns any monitor into a full PC

(BGR News - Zach Epstein - April 6, 2015)

A huge chunk of home PC users overpay for personal computers capable of performance that far exceeds anything they plan to do with their devices.

There must be a cheaper option for simple things like web browsing and video streaming, right? Right: Intel’s new “Compute Stick” is a tiny USB dongle that can turn any modern monitor into a full-fledged computer, and it’s finally available for preorder.

We first saw the concept pop up a few years ago, but Intel’s vision of the computer-on-a-USB-stick is finally a reality. For under $200, you can now purchase a nice, capable computer that’s as portable as a USB flash drive and can plug into any monitor or TV with an HDMI port....>>

You can finally order the Intel USB stick that turns any monitor into a full PC

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/finally-order-intel-usb-stick-turns-monitor-full-164025266.html

Joe Rotello / Knoxville, TN / USA

failathon@...

Newegg has it on special for $150+shipping ($USD)

Still, it's only an Atom inside so like Simon said a while back, it'd still work out better to just buy a regular cheap PC with a Core i3/i5 and have more power for the SDR overall

vincent

very very interesting.

Lee Mushel

I hope someone does test this for SDR interest.   I will admit that I was surprised to be able to run my SDR-IQ and Flex1500 on the little WinBook tablet with the display also on the 83 inch TV!  Receive only so far.  With a combination like this RF is definitely a problem!    But still definitely interesting.   Of course Simon is definitely correct in saying that if curiosity isn't important in your decisions buying a PC when they are selling for just a little over $200 makes more sense.

73

Lee  K9WRU

SIR-related perhaps as additional potential for running SDR-Radio or similar software...

Closer to actual-use reality, but even excited industry insiders say still initially too expensive and "potentially flimsy at a high initial price".

Simon Brown

I have the same chip in a no-name 10” Windows 8 tablet, works fine.

Simon Brown G4ELI
http://v2.sdr-radio.com

I have the same chip in a no-name 10” Windows 8 tablet, works fine.  >>

Hmm, obviously more details / testing to be done at appropriate time, yet does this bode well for near future increasing market for SDR-Radio, commercial or not ?

Joe Rotello / Knoxville, TN / USA

vincent

All we need now is Bluetooth radio gear?

Simon Brown

Also there’s talk of an even more powerful version using Core-M technology.

Simon Brown G4ELI
http://v2.sdr-radio.com