3D waterfall

Francesco Di Giovanni

I find the 3D waterfall the most useless feature, only choreography.
Why not instead a memory scan (with increased number of memories) or frequency scan capability?
A SWSkeds database import with SWSked  label in the Source field , not custom.
Custom I want to reserve to my own records.
Just to name a few features...

73
Francesco Di Giovanni - IN3XZP

JOHN TALBOT

Well why dont you program your own software.

On Fri, Jul 2, 2021, 07:49 Francesco Di Giovanni <fdigio1@... wrote:
I find the 3D waterfall the most useless feature, only choreography.
Why not instead a memory scan (with increased number of memories) or frequency scan capability?
A SWSkeds database import with SWSked  label in the Source field , not custom.
Custom I want to reserve to my own records.
Just to name a few features...

73
Francesco Di Giovanni - IN3XZP

Simon Brown

😊

I find the 3D superb because I learnt about Direct3D programming, and education is an important part of ham radio.

Also you don’t know if it’ll be useless until it’s written, so a ‘chicken and egg’ situation.

The good thing – I now have 3D in my coding armoury for the future.

Well why dont you program your own software.

On Fri, Jul 2, 2021, 07:49 Francesco Di Giovanni <fdigio1@... wrote:

I find the 3D waterfall the most useless feature, only choreography.
Why not instead a memory scan (with increased number of memories) or frequency scan capability?
A SWSkeds database import with SWSked  label in the Source field , not custom.
Custom I want to reserve to my own records.
Just to name a few features...

73
Francesco Di Giovanni - IN3XZP

John Schneider

Francesco,
If you think that was the proper way to request additions to this software iyou are sadly mistaken.
Your expression of gratitude is matched only by your obvious lack of
class.

Jens

... I agree very much !

+++

I find the 3D superb because I learnt about Direct3D programming, and education is an important part of ham radio.

Also you don’t know if it’ll be useless until it’s written, so a ‘chicken and egg’ situation.

The good thing – I now have 3D in my coding armoury for the future.

Well why dont you program your own software.

On Fri, Jul 2, 2021, 07:49 Francesco Di Giovanni <fdigio1@... wrote:

I find the 3D waterfall the most useless feature, only choreography.
Why not instead a memory scan (with increased number of memories) or frequency scan capability?
A SWSkeds database import with SWSked  label in the Source field , not custom.
Custom I want to reserve to my own records.
Just to name a few features...

73
Francesco Di Giovanni - IN3XZP

Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/ when posting questions or problems.

Jens

... then start Your development .

+++

I find the 3D waterfall the most useless feature, only choreography.
Why not instead a memory scan (with increased number of memories) or frequency scan capability?
A SWSkeds database import with SWSked  label in the Source field , not custom.
Custom I want to reserve to my own records.
Just to name a few features...

73
Francesco Di Giovanni - IN3XZP

David J Taylor

On 02/07/2021 13:48, Francesco Di Giovanni wrote:
I find the 3D waterfall the most useless feature, only choreography.
[]
73
Francesco Di Giovanni - IN3XZP
Can you disable it? I've not had chance to test as yet.

David GM8ARV
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk
Twitter: @gm8arv

Simon Brown

Don't enable it. It's got an on/off button.

On 02/07/2021 16:34, Simon Brown wrote:
Don't enable it. It's got an on/off button.
Simon Brown, G4ELI
That sounds perfect, Simon.

Daivd
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk
Twitter: @gm8arv

Mag loop Simon

Hi

I had a feeling that might provoke some responses.lol..

Does not the yaesu flag ship have the same??( similar)

A different Simon..

BobS

I find the 3D superb because I learnt about Direct3D programming, and education is an important part of ham radio.

Simon: that's the absolutely best reason! It's your program, and it's cool.

What you need to do next is add the 4th dimension, time. Figure out a way to use SDR Console to receive signals from the 1970s or 1980s so we all can receive (and record!) all of the great shortwave transmissions from back then. Oh, it'd be cool to have MP3 recordings of Radio Netherlands Happy Station or Joe Adamov from Radio Moscow talking for 20 minutes about Soviet tractor production.

Thanks for all the cool stuff in SDR Console.

Bob Sillett, W4RLS

Siegfried Jackstien

heys bob

you should move to a very far planet about 50 light years away ... the radio wave form the 70ties should arrive there just now :-)

dg9bfc sigi

Am 02.07.2021 um 18:56 schrieb BobS via groups.io:

I find the 3D superb because I learnt about Direct3D programming, and education is an important part of ham radio.

Simon: that's the absolutely best reason! It's your program, and it's cool.

What you need to do next is add the 4th dimension, time. Figure out a way to use SDR Console to receive signals from the 1970s or 1980s so we all can receive (and record!) all of the great shortwave transmissions from back then. Oh, it'd be cool to have MP3 recordings of Radio Netherlands Happy Station or Joe Adamov from Radio Moscow talking for 20 minutes about Soviet tractor production.

Thanks for all the cool stuff in SDR Console.

Bob Sillett, W4RLS

BobS

you should move to a very far planet about 50 light years away ... the radio wave form the 70ties should arrive there just now :-)

I guess I could hitch a ride with Richard Branson or Jeff Bezos. Until then, I just found several recordings of "Moscow Mailbag" on the Internet Archive: https://archive.org/search.php?query=Adamov+Gavaras&sin=

Bob, W4RLS

jdow

The window can be dismissed.
{^_^}

On 20210702 08:27:03, David J Taylor via groups.io wrote:
On 02/07/2021 13:48, Francesco Di Giovanni wrote:
I find the 3D waterfall the most useless feature, only choreography.
[]

73
Francesco Di Giovanni - IN3XZP

Can you disable it?  I've not had chance to test as yet.

David GM8ARV

Simon Brown

BTW,

Googling and reading last night I found how to add 3D test (not 2D overlay). Not going to do this any time soon but the magic words are:

Google: [Direct3D SpriteFont SpriteBatch]

I see now how I could write the main interface as (optional of course) 3D – no need for Spectrum and Waterfall, these are combined in 3D. CPU/GPU load would not be super-high. Maybe (maybe) switch to 2D for filter adjustment, tuning etc but after X seconds inactivity revert to 3D. Just an idea I’m playing with, and of course optional.

3D may be the last frontier in SDR UIs.

On 20210702 08:27:03, David J Taylor via groups.io wrote:

On 02/07/2021 13:48, Francesco Di Giovanni wrote:

I find the 3D waterfall the most useless feature, only choreography.

[]

73
Francesco Di Giovanni - IN3XZP

Can you disable it?  I've not had chance to test as yet.

David GM8ARV

David J Taylor

On 03/07/2021 00:23, jdow wrote:
The window can be dismissed.
{^_^}
Thanks, Joanne. I wonder whether that's the first thing I will do?

I do find many of these SDR programs over-complicated by trying to be all things to all users, making them more difficult to use, more CPU-intensive, and more expensive (time) to support.

Cheers,
David
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk
Twitter: @gm8arv

Simon Brown

David,

If you just do nothing then you'll not see 3D. As always you have to enable the feature.

Features you don't want others do and visa-versa. The difficult trick is having options and not overloading the UI.

Thanks, Joanne. I wonder whether that's the first thing I will do?

I do find many of these SDR programs over-complicated by trying to be all things to all users, making them more difficult to use, more CPU-intensive, and more expensive (time) to support.

Cheers,
David
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk
Twitter: @gm8arv

Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/ when posting questions or problems.

Simon Brown

Conrad,

We've just had a nice 2m Es - I'm off out with the dog, when back will fill you in with all you need to know.

Thanks, Joanne. I wonder whether that's the first thing I will do?

I do find many of these SDR programs over-complicated by trying to be all things to all users, making them more difficult to use, more CPU-intensive, and more expensive (time) to support.

Cheers,
David
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk
Twitter: @gm8arv

Please use https://forum.sdr-radio.com:4499/ when posting questions or problems.

Patrick

Hi there !

It looks like the 3D feature does not work on my new Dell laptop (Inspiron 7706 2in1).
Neither the built-in video recorder.
Bad luck !

Simon Brown

So,

Bit more info please, Windows version? Error messages? Screenshots?