S Meter #poll

Simon Brown

Which is your S meter preference, Digital or Analog? I may change the default to Analog if the majority prefer it.

Results

Siegfried Jackstien

Alpha november alpha lima oscar golf :-)

(who was the one clicking on the digital checkbox?!?)

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 14.09.2019 um 21:09 schrieb Simon Brown:

A new poll has been created:

Which is your S meter preference, Digital or Analog? I may change the default to Analog if the majority prefer it.

1. Digital
2. Analog

Vote Now

jdow

Which ever is default save the user preferences for program restarts.
{o.o}

On 20190914 14:09:34, Simon Brown wrote:
A new poll has been created:
Which is your S meter preference, Digital or Analog? I may change the default to Analog if the majority prefer it.
1. Digital
2. Analog
Vote Now <https://SDR-Radio.groups.io/g/main/vote?pollid=7216>

jdow

Moi

{^_-}

On 20190914 14:55:10, Siegfried Jackstien wrote:
Alpha november alpha lima oscar golf :-)
(who was the one clicking on the digital checkbox?!?)
greetz sigi dg9bfc
Am 14.09.2019 um 21:09 schrieb Simon Brown:

A new poll has been created:

Which is your S meter preference, Digital or Analog? I may change the default to Analog if the majority prefer it.

1. Digital
2. Analog

Vote Now <https://SDR-Radio.groups.io/g/main/vote?pollid=7216>

Dale Elshoff WB8CJW

No preference.
I use both - analog (S-units) for communications, digital (dBm) for measurements.

Dale WB8CJW

On 9/14/2019 5:09 PM, Simon Brown wrote:

A new poll has been created:

Which is your S meter preference, Digital or Analog? I may change the default to Analog if the majority prefer it.

1. Digital
2. Analog

Vote Now

Avast logo

and you can switch the analog also to dbm or dbuv (and have the numerical readout in the box)

dg9bfc sigi

Am 14.09.2019 um 22:52 schrieb Dale Elshoff WB8CJW:

No preference.
I use both - analog (S-units) for communications, digital (dBm) for measurements.

Dale WB8CJW

On 9/14/2019 5:09 PM, Simon Brown wrote:

A new poll has been created:

Which is your S meter preference, Digital or Analog? I may change the default to Analog if the majority prefer it.

1. Digital
2. Analog

Vote Now

Avast logo

Ken Alexander

I don't know my login info...out of town, using my phone.

Digital, because it takes up less space.  An option for "None" would make me very happy.  The spectrum, waterfall and my ears give me all the information I need.

Ken,
So Phisai, Thailand
Blog:  bueng-ken.com

On Sun, Sep 15, 2019, 04:09 Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:

A new poll has been created:

Which is your S meter preference, Digital or Analog? I may change the default to Analog if the majority prefer it.

1. Digital
2. Analog

Vote Now

jdow

This is true, especially when signal power estimates are hacked rather than taken as I^2 + Q^2 on the filtered demodulator input.

{o.o}

On 20190914 18:45:03, Ken Alexander wrote:
I don't know my login info...out of town, using my phone.
Digital, because it takes up less space.  An option for "None" would make me very happy.  The spectrum, waterfall and my ears give me all the information I need.
Ken,
So Phisai, Thailand
Blog: bueng-ken.com <http://bueng-ken.com>
On Sun, Sep 15, 2019, 04:09 Simon Brown <simon@sdr-radio.com <mailto:simon@sdr-radio.com>> wrote:
A new poll has been created:
Which is your S meter preference, Digital or Analog? I may change the
default to Analog if the majority prefer it.
1. Digital
2. Analog
Vote Now <https://SDR-Radio.groups.io/g/main/vote?pollid=7216>

David J Taylor

A new poll has been created:

Which is your S meter preference, Digital or Analog? I may change the default to Analog if the majority prefer it.

1. Digital
2. Analog
===================================

Neither (alone)!

Let's have the whole thing switchable - on or off.

If on, then display in dBFS, of dBm /only/ if that is accurate! So-called "S" units if you must.

If on, then a choice of number, meter scale, or both.

So that's:

- On or Off
- Units: dBFS, dBm, S-units
- Presentation: number, meter, or both.

For the "best" initial settings: On, dBFS, number, meter, although many users may prefer "S" rather than dBFS.

73,
David GM8ARV
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk
Twitter: @gm8arv

Pekka Sorjonen

Analog, but I hate the red needle. Don´t need it. Please make it also a user´s choice if wanted.

Nicholas Shaxted

Not wishing to split hairs, but the choices are both digital.

An analogue style display with meaningful scales with appropriately averaged readings would meet my initial application startup requirements.

(I’ll keep off the subject of fft correlation indication for weeeak signals)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Com os melhores cumprimentos, 敬具

Le gach dea-ghuí. Venlig Hilsen, Distinti Saluti, مع جزيل الشكر و التقدير

73 de

Nick – g4ogi from JO01mg

brexit risu digna delenda est

Alpha november alpha lima oscar golf :-)

(who was the one clicking on the digital checkbox?!?)

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 14.09.2019 um 21:09 schrieb Simon Brown:

A new poll has been created:

Which is your S meter preference, Digital or Analog? I may change the default to Analog if the majority prefer it.

1. Digital
2. Analog

Vote Now

Siegfried Jackstien

an analog meter with s units on upper scale ...

and in the numerical box shows dbuv or dbm (selectable by user)

the smaller older (band shaped) digital is also nice but shows just one value

while the new analog shows peak average and base noise ...

if i could select the analog meter to show s units but in box shows dbuv peak it would be perfect (for my needs)

then .... let the yellow needle move fast medium and slow (linked to the agc setting in rx box)

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 15.09.2019 um 08:16 schrieb David J Taylor via Groups.Io:

A new poll has been created:

Which is your S meter preference, Digital or Analog? I may change the default to Analog if the majority prefer it.

1. Digital
2. Analog
===================================

Neither (alone)!

Let's have the whole thing switchable - on or off.

If on, then display in dBFS, of dBm /only/ if that is accurate! So-called "S" units if you must.

If on, then a choice of number, meter scale, or both.

So that's:

- On or Off
- Units:  dBFS, dBm, S-units
- Presentation: number, meter, or both.

For the "best" initial settings: On, dBFS, number, meter, although many users may prefer "S" rather than dBFS.

73,
David GM8ARV

Matthias Bopp

I fully agree with the proposal from Sigi.

This would be a nice solution.

Kind regards

Matthias

www.dd1us.de

[...]

Image result for can of worms

On 9/14/2019 5:09 PM, Simon Brown wrote:

A new poll has been created:

Which is your S meter preference, Digital or Analog? I may change the default to Analog if the majority prefer it.

1. Digital
2. Analog

Vote Now

David J Taylor

Another aspect which isn't clear: an "analogue" meter can take up a lot of value screen space. I think that a bar-graph meter would have the advantage of readability, but not take anything like as much screen space. So a bar-graph with the value next to it might be the best of both worlds. Of course, someone will then as vertical or horizontal bar-graph!

73,
David GM8ARV
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk
Twitter: @gm8arv

David J Taylor

[]
the smaller older (band shaped) digital is also nice but shows just one value while the new analog shows peak average and base noise ...

A bar-graph meter can easily show both peaks and average by different colours, or by a bar and a line.

You can select what you want to display: https://www.sdr-radio.com/Console/SMeter