Linux Server? #linux

Martin Ewing AA6E

Hello, all,

I hope this subject hasn't been beat to death, but here I am - trying to design a private remote receive setup to let me do ham radio from a noisy QTH.

Specifically I'm considering an RSP2pro-class radio with a Raspberry-Pi-class server running Linux.  The remote system needs to be small, self-contained, low power, and unattended. That eliminates a Windows PC, in my view.  I probably have line of sight (e.g. wifi) for a communication link.

The hardware seems to be straightforward, but the question is what Linux server software exists that would be compatible with common Internet SDR backends, which could be Windows or Linux.

Any pointers greatly appreciated!

73
Martin
AA6E

Michael Durkin

Email me off list .... there is a few for Rx under linux

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019, 12:22 PM Martin Ewing AA6E <ewing@...> wrote:
Hello, all,

I hope this subject hasn't been beat to death, but here I am - trying to design a private remote receive setup to let me do ham radio from a noisy QTH.

Specifically I'm considering an RSP2pro-class radio with a Raspberry-Pi-class server running Linux.  The remote system needs to be small, self-contained, low power, and unattended. That eliminates a Windows PC, in my view.  I probably have line of sight (e.g. wifi) for a communication link.

The hardware seems to be straightforward, but the question is what Linux server software exists that would be compatible with common Internet SDR backends, which could be Windows or Linux.

Any pointers greatly appreciated!

73
Martin
AA6E

Franco Cristini

Hi Martin,

Why don't use a usb-stick form-factor x86 pc (with windows 10) for running SDR-Console V3 server sw?

This type of PCs is called "Intel Compute Stick" (from the first product/model name).

Processor start from a simple atom dual core to m5 (but is expensive!).

Exist from years, can be "USB" powered, and is just a little bit larger that a Chromecast.

I use many of them from about 3 years for different tasks (like Yaesu wires-x software attached to a repeater).

The cost is about 3-4 times that an official Raspberry Pi3b+, but the CPU power and overall speed is many that faster that that!
And have a REAL SSD (not an micro-sd) internal storage
For that price you have also much more i/o interfaces built-in :  wi-fi, bluetooth, audio, 1 or more USB ports and sometimes a micro-sd port.
And, of course, an official Windows 10 Home license.

The brand that made the first models (and reference "board") was, of course, Intel, but many other manufacturer made that, based on same CPUs & chipsets.
Asus VivoStick for example, but also more unknown/OEM chinese manufacturer made that (ACEPC, Caroki Nexbox).

Search, on Amazon, for example, for pc stick with Atom Z8350 cpu..

I have used that (Atom CPUs family) official Intel models:
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/series/129724/intel-compute-stick-with-intel-atom-processors.html

Exist also with Core M-class (3 an 5) family CPUs:
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/series/129721/intel-compute-stick-with-6th-generation-intel-core-processors.html

Think about it.

73 IW2KPL Franco