Track Radio limited to 2.1GHz

Tom M0LTE

I implemented this using the TS-2000 CAT emulation in SDR Console plus virtual serial port emulator last night- works perfectly. I can now forget about Omnirig and the Track Radio feature.

Source code and YouTube video coming soon.

If/when an API appears, I’ll change it to use that rather than CAT, since that removes the dependency on third party VSPE.

Cheers
Tom

On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 at 15:39, Christoph DH9GCD <c.doerle@...> wrote:

Let me think.

The Trx is working at 10489 MHz.

Your translation tool subtract lets say 10GHz.

So 489 MHz goes to Omnirig and then in sdr console.

On this "IF" freq. the tracking in sdr console (V3.0.10 with the new feature, joke:) ) is done.

With the down-converter offset 10GHz is added to 489 MHz. The display freq. is correct and the beacon too.

But I see you are in contact to implement an API

Christoph DH9GCD

Let me think.

The Trx is working at 10489 MHz.

Your translation tool subtract lets say 10GHz.

So 489 MHz goes to Omnirig and then in sdr console.

On this "IF" freq. the tracking in sdr console (V3.0.10 with the new feature, joke:) ) is done.

With the down-converter offset 10GHz is added to 489 MHz. The display freq. is correct and the beacon too.

But I see you are in contact to implement an API

Tom M0LTE

Extending this idea slightly, in combination with something else, allowing the geostationary satellite beacon frequency to be settable make this whole problem go away.

The something else is: I have a tiny bit of code between my FT818 and Omnirig so I can apply whatever frequency offset there I like.

On Sun, 9 Jun 2019 at 21:30, Christoph Dörle <c.doerle@...> wrote:
Hi,
to at least partially circumvent the limitation of Omnirig, it would be helpful if the tracking could be done either with the IF frequency or with the display frequency.

In my case, the Rx operates at 739 MHz (the IF frequency from the LNB). At this frequency tracking with omnirig works fine.
The display frequency in the waterfall, etc., and that of the external radio will then change only for display by the down-converter offset.

Christoph

Christoph DH9GCD

Hi,
to at least partially circumvent the limitation of Omnirig, it would be helpful if the tracking could be done either with the IF frequency or with the display frequency.

In my case, the Rx operates at 739 MHz (the IF frequency from the LNB). At this frequency tracking with omnirig works fine.
The display frequency in the waterfall, etc., and that of the external radio will then change only for display by the down-converter offset.

Christoph

Tom M0LTE

Edited

Hey Mathis

[Continuation of https://sdr-radio.groups.io/g/main/topic/feature_qo100/31984930 - sorry I screwed up the subject]

Yes, the receive VFO frequency shows 10.489GHz no problem at all. It's the Track Radio feature, which uses Omnirig, which won't go above 2.1GHz.

An alternative solution would be to allow an offset to be set within the Track Radio feature larger than 10KHz.

I did some more searching and found a thread that suggests there's both a limitation in Omnirig itself, a patch floating around to enable 64 bit numbers to be passed, but then a post from Simon saying it won't work as-is in SDR Console as the SDR Console side is of course expecting a 32 bit integer still.

Wish there was a more generic API than Omnirig...

Cheers
Tom