From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Paul White
Sent: 03 June 2019 18:25
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: [SDR-Radio] SDRC Receiver Pane

This is a lovely feature, but I'm struggling to get the results I expected.
Please could someone point me at any tutorials for this?
Thanks very much.
Paul

Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU

Here's a video showing SDRC with the SDR Play:
https://www.sdrplay.com/new-video-guide-to-using-sdr-console-with-the-sdrplay-rsp-family/

Here's the PDF that is mentioned at the end of the above video:
http://www.nn4f.com/SDR-Console-V3-SDRPlay-RSP_QuickGuideTips.pdf

Hopefully that helps?

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Barry Baines

Kris (or Simon):

On Jun 3, 2019, at 9:37 PM, Kriss Kliegle <kliegle@...> wrote:

Here's a video showing SDRC with the SDR Play:
https://www.sdrplay.com/new-video-guide-to-using-sdr-console-with-the-sdrplay-rsp-family/

Here's the PDF that is mentioned at the end of the above video:
http://www.nn4f.com/SDR-Console-V3-SDRPlay-RSP_QuickGuideTips.pdf

Thanks for the guidance on using SDR Console with SDR Play devices from sdrplay.com released in 2017 that focuses on the RSP1 and RSP2.

Question:  At one time in 2018 Simon indicated that he’d be releasing an update to SDR Console that would interface with the RSPduo dual-tuner device.  Has that capability been developed whereby both tuners can be used with SDR Console?  I know that SDRuno can handle both tuners (running two sessions of SDRuno), but don’t know if a similar capability exists with SDR Console.

Thanks,

Barry Baines, WD4ASW
(Keller, TX)

Hopefully that helps?

73 Kriss KA1GJU
_._,_._,_

Simon Brown

Barry,

The Duo is supported but only a single channel. At least, I think Duo works in single channel mode. Brain’s a tad frazzled at the moment.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

[...]

Barry, you can open as many RXR's as your CPU and GPU in your computer can handle, but they have to be within the SDRC's/RXR's bandwidth.
i.e. My SDR-iq has a max bandwidth of 190 kHz, so I could open several RXR's within that 190kHz of spectrum. For reference, my AirspyHF+ is 768 kHz, and my SDRPlay is 2Mhz(?).

You can also open numerous 'stances' of SDRC and connect to multiple RXR's for listening to numerous frequencies in the various bands.

What exactly are you attempting to do? i.e. listen/record  several HF stations at the same time that are tens of MHz apart?

Kriss KA1GJU

Paul White

Thank you, Kriss, but neither of those links cover the receiver pane at all (Menu: Receive, View, Receiver Pane).

Paul White

Thanks, Simon.
Hoped to use this (on second monitor, that works fine) for monitoring the six channels (as provided for).
I just can't understand why:
  • spectrum & WF appear "alive" on all RX, but no data is shown
  • mouse over any RX does not bring up audio for it
I have to click an RX to get audio. That starts spectrum & WF too, but blanks the last one.
Sorry if I'm missing some basics here.
P.S. Not looked properly at matrix yet, but had some problems with that, too (possibly a Windows resource issue).

Simon Brown

Paul,

Screenshots help.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Hoped to use this (on second monitor, that works fine) for monitoring the six channels (as provided for).
I just can't understand why:

  • spectrum & WF appear "alive" on all RX, but no data is shown
  • mouse over any RX does not bring up audio for it

I have to click an RX to get audio. That starts spectrum & WF too, but blanks the last one.
Sorry if I'm missing some basics here.
P.S. Not looked properly at matrix yet, but had some problems with that, too (possibly a Windows resource issue).

D R

Hi Paul,

It all works fine for me - but all the receivers in the receiver pane have to be visible simultaneously in the main window.  As soon as one receiver is moved off the main window, then you get the behaviour you describe.  If you set the main window to minimum zoom and use an appropriate bandwith to cover all the frequencies you want to monitor, it should work ok.

Regards,
Dave

On Tuesday, 4 June 2019, 13:15:19 GMT+1, Paul White <paul@...> wrote:

Thanks, Simon.
Hoped to use this (on second monitor, that works fine) for monitoring the six channels (as provided for).
I just can't understand why:
  • spectrum & WF appear "alive" on all RX, but no data is shown
  • mouse over any RX does not bring up audio for it
I have to click an RX to get audio. That starts spectrum & WF too, but blanks the last one.
Sorry if I'm missing some basics here.
P.S. Not looked properly at matrix yet, but had some problems with that, too (possibly a Windows resource issue).

Barry Baines

Simon:

On Jun 4, 2019, at 3:45 AM, Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:

Barry,

The Duo is supported but only a single channel. At least, I think Duo works in single channel mode. Brain’s a tad frazzled at the moment.

That’s my understanding as well.  My impression from a post you made in 2018 was that you were going to look into making it possible to use both tuners, presumably while running two sessions of SDR Console.  A single USB connection is used to manage/control both tuners within SDRduo.

The only SDR package at the moment that I’m aware of that can run both tuners is SDRuno.  When using a SDRduo, the user starts the first session of SDRuno where the session defaults to a single tuner mode.  This is the ‘master session’.  To use the second tuner, the user selects dual tuner mode within the first session and then starts a second session of SDRuno which is the ’slave session’.  At this point the second session recognizes the second tuner as being available and one can connect to it.

Under the master-slave session configuration, the second tuner (slave) cannot run without a master session running first.  Likewise, one cannot shutdown the master session if a slave session is running;  the slave session must be shutdown first.

SDRuno continues to evolve and after having spent countless hours learning its capabilities and idiosyncrasies I’ve become somewhat adept at using it.  SDRuno now includes a scan function which greatly enhances the utility of RSP devices.  I’m currently running a Broadcastify feed in Folkston, GA where we’re monitoring CSX railroad VHF voice comms.  I’m using a SDRduo where I have one tuner providing the audio feed (scanning multiple voice channels) in the 160 MHz band while the second tuner is capturing railroad digital transmissions for End-of-Train/Head-of-Train air brake data transmitted in the 452-457 MHz band (scanning as well).  Given that I’m not at the receive site all the time, using SDR devices makes it possible to remotely monitor performance of the receivers, make adjustments as necessary, and shutdown if required.

SDRPlay intends to release an updated version of SDRuno shortly which will allow a SDRduo to be used for diversity reception by taking advantage of both tuners.  The new feature was demonstrated at Hamvention.  While not my focus, such innovation is certainly intriguing.

That said, SDR Console provides capabilities and interfaces not available through SDRuno where being able to run both SDRduo tuners opens some interesting possibilities.  In particular, SDR Console seems better suited for running on smaller laptop display screens and is more “mobile friendly.”  I currently run two SDRduos (four tuners) in my vehicle on a 12” laptop for railroad monitoring purposes in the 428-441-452-896-935 MHz bands which can get pretty unwieldy using four sessions of SDRuno.   I presume SDR Console requires a ‘learning curve’ just as SDRuno does, so my investment in time/effort getting up to speed on the nuances of SDR Console is predicated in part on being able to use both tuners of the SDRduo.

Thanks for all you do,

Barry, WD4ASW
(Keller, TX)

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

On Jun 4, 2019, at 6:39 AM, Kriss Kliegle <kliegle@...> wrote:

Barry, you can open as many RXR's as your CPU and GPU in your computer can handle, but they have to be within the SDRC's/RXR's bandwidth.
i.e. My SDR-iq has a max bandwidth of 190 kHz, so I could open several RXR's within that 190kHz of spectrum. For reference, my AirspyHF+ is 768 kHz, and my SDRPlay is 2Mhz(?).

You can also open numerous 'stances' of SDRC and connect to multiple RXR's for listening to numerous frequencies in the various bands.

What exactly are you attempting to do? i.e. listen/record  several HF stations at the same time that are tens of MHz apart?

I just posted a reply to Simon’s response that explains what my interests are.

The issue isn’t running multiple sessions of SDR Console.  The challenge is getting the second tuner activated so that SDR Console recognizes the existence of the second tuner.   My reply to Simon outlines how this is done with SDRuno.

SDRPlay does offer a SDRDuo EXTIO plugin (v1.1.1) that allows the device to interface with other SDR software, but my understanding is that SDR Console is not yet configured to be able to activate and utilize the second tuner.

73,

Barry, WD4ASW
(Keller, TX)

Kriss KA1GJU

Bote Man

Barry, I’m using SDR-Console for what I thought would be a brief test of a railroad voice feed, but it works so well that I just kept on running it.

In my case SDR-Console is absolutely ideal for Florida East Coast Ry because they use a second frequency to talk back to the dispatcher, but everything else is on the road channel.

Keep in mind that SDR-Console does not scan, it constantly monitors as many frequencies as you can squeeze onto your CPU by way of the Receiver Pane. There was another thread here about that, but it is found at

Receive tab -> View section -> Receiver Pane button

Then when you see the gray divider to the left of the spectrum display, click the + (plus) button once to add 1 receiver. Once these are all set up to your liking, create an entry under Favourites to load it back up the way you want. (Be sure to go to Selection -> check Apply Level so that your favorite also saves the volume setting if you intend to use my arrangement as described below.)

Using the Receiver Pane of SDR-Console allows me to set up four total receivers:

1) Road channel

2) Dispatcher uplink channel

3) Maintenance-of-way channel

4) M-o-W contractor channel

I send the road freq. to the right audio channel, the uplink freq. to the left channel, and the other 2 default to stereo but at a reduced volume level. My VSTHost AGC pushes those down due to their lower volume setting when either of the main 2 frequencies talks, which has been happening a lot these past few days with some signal cutovers in progress.

Between SDR-Console and the audio processing in VSThost I never see myself acquiring a “real” radio again for this purpose. I’m hoping to copy this success to other voice feed sites.

For ATCS monitoring I guess you could send each receiver to its own Virtual Audio Cable to a dedicated decoder instance. Since they listen full-time instead of scanning they would never miss a packet. This is selectable in the DSP pane.

I made a contribution to the authors early on, and I intend to once again when they can get the MICOR squelch gussied up. That should make SDR-Console unbeatable for analog NBFM listening.

Bote Man

http://www.botecomm.com/bote/radio/streaming.html

--
Bote's Streaming Scanner Feeds
http://www.botecomm.com/bote/radio/streaming.html

WD5M David M.

This is almost exactly what I do as well.  I have a couple of local primary two meter ham band repeaters on Broadcastify audio stream (left and right channels) and a few other frequencies fed to three Zello channels. I installed virtual audio cables to allow more devices for inputs and outputs, along with Voicemeeter for some other audio processing and mixing options. I can monitor any frequencies simultaneously in the two meter band with RSP2Pro.

I've put off buying more RSP2 receivers to monitor other bands. I experience issues with strong signals locking up the RSP2, which is a known problem with the driver or something. Minimizing the gain settings helps, but doesn't eliminate the issue entirely. Not a SDR Console problem, from what Simon has explained.

I too will donate again, as Simon adds more capabilities to SDR Console, like improved (Micor) squelch and CTCSS/DCS squelch.

David M.

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 1:13 PM Bote Man <bote_radio@...> wrote:

[...]

Just to be clear, I’m using the AirSpy, which does very well for such a tiny box.

I’m also playing with those inexpensive metal RTL-SDR dongles to see how much I can get away with for cheap.

Bote

[...]

Ahem, sorry for getting back to my topic...

Simon, sure, but I wasn't trying to make a big deal of it, only wanted some pointers to help me out of this ignorant state.

Dave (D R), hole in one, Old Chap, thanks! Stupidly overlooked that they'd all need to be within the received bandwidth.
That raises an interesting point:
  • Only by zooming the spectrum/WF fully out, can we confirms which RX are in the current bandwidth.
  • That set of "in-range" RX can change instantly by e.g. centring one, or sliding the ribbon.
Simon, would it be worth adding something to each RX graphic in the pane to show if it's dead or alive?

I noticed something else - in the main spectrum.
  • With one RX active, clicking almost anywhere else re-tunes that RX (as intended).
  • But, clicking the spectrum's "RX band" bar at the top (colour bar plus RX number) selects that receiver (equivalent to clicking the corresponding RX icon in the Quick Access Toolbar, if visible).
Simon, obviously that second behaviour also is no accident - you must have designed that. But it doesn't work for a RX whose top gets overlaid by the top right zoom bars "menu".
Any chance of overcoming this?

Thanks for your time Simon/Dave.

Paul White

And, since the subject has been brought up again, I too donate.
Now and again, when I can afford it, in appreciation of all the enjoyment I've had from using SDRC.
Not much, true, considering the effort that went into the program.
What I don't do is dangle the carrot of more to come if I get more satisfaction.

Excellent website.  Thanks for sharing.

Tom Stiles