Andrus SDR

Allan Isaacs

I’m buying an Andrus Mk 1.5 SDR but slightly worried whether the sale is genuine.

On the underside can anyone advise whether the code numbers are unique to each example?

I have numbers Production 1506213 and bar code digits 5.060342.170002.

Allan G3PIY

Simon Brown

Allan,

I suggest Airspy or SDRplay.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

I’m buying an Andrus Mk 1.5 SDR but slightly worried whether the sale is genuine.

On the underside can anyone advise whether the code numbers are unique to each example?

I have numbers Production 1506213 and bar code digits 5.060342.170002.

Allan G3PIY

Allan Isaacs

I have an SDR Play (excellent) and a Lime (a bit weird), Simon.

I’m getting the Andrus for £60 but I see a second for sale in Germany with exactly the same numbers on its label.

I spotted a u-tube video from a certain S Brown. Do you still have it and if so what does the label have on it?

Allan

I’m buying an Andrus Mk 1.5 SDR but slightly worried whether the sale is genuine.

On the underside can anyone advise whether the code numbers are unique to each example?

I have numbers Production 1506213 and bar code digits 5.060342.170002.

Allan G3PIY

Simon Brown

Allan,

Seriously – if you like the RSP1A then spend a bit more money and get a newer piece of hardware which is supported from the UK. Andrus has wandered off into commercial hardware development, I think.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

I’m buying an Andrus Mk 1.5 SDR but slightly worried whether the sale is genuine.

On the underside can anyone advise whether the code numbers are unique to each example?

I have numbers Production 1506213 and bar code digits 5.060342.170002.

Allan G3PIY

Allan Isaacs

I’ll probably do that Simon

Allan

Seriously – if you like the RSP1A then spend a bit more money and get a newer piece of hardware which is supported from the UK. Andrus has wandered off into commercial hardware development, I think.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

I’m buying an Andrus Mk 1.5 SDR but slightly worried whether the sale is genuine.

On the underside can anyone advise whether the code numbers are unique to each example?

I have numbers Production 1506213 and bar code digits 5.060342.170002.

Allan G3PIY

Simon Brown

Or,

As you have a SDRplay radio why not wait for the Airspy HF+ Discovery – the very latest from Youssef. I will have one later this afternoon, it’s on the DHL truck.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Seriously – if you like the RSP1A then spend a bit more money and get a newer piece of hardware which is supported from the UK. Andrus has wandered off into commercial hardware development, I think.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

I’m buying an Andrus Mk 1.5 SDR but slightly worried whether the sale is genuine.

On the underside can anyone advise whether the code numbers are unique to each example?

I have numbers Production 1506213 and bar code digits 5.060342.170002.

Allan G3PIY

Allan Isaacs

My “new” Andrus MK1.5 SDR arrived yesterday as I’d already bid for it.

It was sold as “house clearance” “no PSU” etc so I was prepared for a faulty one as these comments did not inspire confidence!.

Powering it via a double USB lead didn’t trigger a “device found” so I removed it from its case and checked it and soon discovered a very hot 3.3 volt regulator.

There are two 3.3 v regulators and their outputs are split into various supply feeds with lots of chokes and capacitors.

I found one feed had 0.9 ohm across it so removed its filter choke thus isolating the circuitry fed by VCC3V3ETH/AVCC3V3ETH.

The circuitry is chiefly an Ethernet controller so I powered that circuit from a variable supply with limited current and found the Ethernet controller chip ran very very hot at 1.5 volts 1.5amps.

So the KSZ8851SNL chip will need replacing, but not easy due to its tiny size, however I can now power the Andrus from the USB cable. If I press its Reset and HWBE buttons the thing is detected by my computer asking for a USB driver AT32UCB DFU.

Sure enough the Satrian website tells me I need the driver but I can’t find one.

Any ideas anyone?

Allan G3PIY

As you have a SDRplay radio why not wait for the Airspy HF+ Discovery – the very latest from Youssef. I will have one later this afternoon, it’s on the DHL truck.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Seriously – if you like the RSP1A then spend a bit more money and get a newer piece of hardware which is supported from the UK. Andrus has wandered off into commercial hardware development, I think.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

I’m buying an Andrus Mk 1.5 SDR but slightly worried whether the sale is genuine.

On the underside can anyone advise whether the code numbers are unique to each example?

I have numbers Production 1506213 and bar code digits 5.060342.170002.

Allan G3PIY

Allan Isaacs

Hi Simon

I can’t detect my SDR AndrusMk1.5 using USB cable.

Looking at the search failure log file it seems you’ve only catered for running the Andrus via its Ethernet port?

As my Ethernet port isn’t working is there any way I can use the receiver?

Allan G3PIY

Simon Brown

Allan,

It does work with USB, at least it did. I’m not seeing any logfiles…

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

I can’t detect my SDR AndrusMk1.5 using USB cable.

Looking at the search failure log file it seems you’ve only catered for running the Andrus via its Ethernet port?

As my Ethernet port isn’t working is there any way I can use the receiver?

Allan G3PIY

Allan Isaacs

Here’s the log file Simon

I installed zadig and it installed a driver for AT32UC3B DFU version 6.1.7600.16385

USB\VID_03EB&PID_2FF6 (libwdi autogenerated)

No idea whether this is correct?

Allan G3PIY

It does work with USB, at least it did. I’m not seeing any logfiles…

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

I can’t detect my SDR AndrusMk1.5 using USB cable.

Looking at the search failure log file it seems you’ve only catered for running the Andrus via its Ethernet port?

As my Ethernet port isn’t working is there any way I can use the receiver?

Allan G3PIY

Alan G4ZFQ

I installed zadig and it installed a driver for AT32UC3B DFU version 6.1.7600.16385
No idea whether this is correct?
Allan,

Possibly not.
Unless you know what driver you need. Zadig has 3 different ones embedded.
Zadig will do what you tell it, right or wrong, without any warning message. It gives no "undo" option and, sometimes, it is difficult to rectify a mistake.

I think this needs an Atmel driver? http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/devicedoc/doc32059.pdf Or does it depend on what firmware is loaded? I did search but I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Allan Isaacs

Thanks for the information Alan.
I opened Device Manager and uninstalled the driver. If you tick the box to
delete the driver then the Zadig driver is deleted.
I tried a second and installed libubK. Simon's program wouldn't detect the
Andrus.
I tried a third libusb-win32 and this gave an Atmel USB Device entry. I got
Windows to check this was the latest and it confirmed it was the latest but
Simon's program didn't detect this either.
I need to know exactly which driver works and look out for it.
The Andrus website isn't very helpful just saying you need to load a driver
without defining which and from where.
My SDR may be defunct of course. I removed the feed from its damaged
Ethernet circuit but at least it wakens the computer and asks for a driver.
Once this is installed the appropriate entry pops up in Device Manager. It's
currently displaying Atmel USB Device then AT32UC3B DFU. Libusb-win32
02/08/2012 version 1.2.6.0
Details:
C:\windows\system32\driver\libusb0.sys, ditto libusb0.dll, ditto
libusbk.dll, and C:\windows\syswow64\libusb0.dll
Doesn't mean anything to me
I need to find an Andrus user...
Allan G3PIY

[...]

Let's hope you find someone who knows.
I note that here http://www.satrian.com/products/sdr-mk1-5/quick-start-manual it says HDSDR can be used for USB connection. That would need a DLL, possibly shown on the Hardware page of that software.

Device Manager. It's currently displaying Atmel USB Device then
AT32UC3B DFU. Libusb-win32

Maybe that is the driver...

It seems to say SDR Console is used for Ethernet.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Alan G4ZFQ

HDSDR can be used for USB connection. That would need a DLL, possibly shown on the Hardware page of that software.
Yes, the link takes you to Github, the DLL is in the zip.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Simon Brown

Allan,

I just looked at the code – I only support the Ethernet interface, so I’m afraid you’re stuffed.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

[...]

So, it’s only a 32 pin chip about 5mm square that needs changing J

https://uk.farnell.com/microchip/ksz8851snli-tr/enet-ctrlr-sgl-port-i2c-32qfn/dp/2509829?MER=bn_hp_1_LastViewed_3

Allan G3PIY

On 17/05/2019 17:58, Alan G4ZFQ via Groups.Io wrote:
HDSDR can be used for USB connection. That would need a DLL, possibly shown on the Hardware page of that software.
Yes, the link takes you to Github, the DLL is in the zip.
Allan,

I presume you do not want to try HDSDR?

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Allan Isaacs

Alan
I found that zip file and unpacked it a few days ago planning on using it
for HDSR.
I added the file, ExtIO_SDR_MK15.dll, to the HDSR main folder, where there's
already a dll for the Lime.
Device Manager shows Atmel USB devices, AT32UCB DFU.
Starting HDSDR takes me to the folder where I see the dll files. When I open
the Andrus dll I see a tiny box with... Error opening device. No error.
Programming isn't one of my strengths I'm afraid Alan.
I did get GCE O Level metalwork though...
73 Allan G3PIY

On 17/05/2019 17:58, Alan G4ZFQ via Groups.Io wrote:
HDSDR can be used for USB connection. That would need a DLL, possibly
shown on the Hardware page of that software.
Yes, the link takes you to Github, the DLL is in the zip.
Allan,

I presume you do not want to try HDSDR?

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Alan G4ZFQ

Device Manager shows Atmel USB devices, AT32UCB DFU.
Starting HDSDR takes me to the folder where I see the dll files. When I open
the Andrus dll I see a tiny box with... Error opening device. No error.
Allan,

And this is with the libusb driver? Pity, it looks as if that is the one required as it appears in the zipped folder.
Windows is often no help saying "This device is working" when it obviously is not.

Programming isn't one of my strengths I'm afraid Alan.
I did get GCE O Level metalwork though...
I did too, possibly the only one in the 200 in my year.
It is not really programming, more like metalwork when you're not sure whether you are assembling the correct parts.

I'm surprised no-one else has commented although Ethernet is probably the normal choice.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Allan Isaacs

If I can fit a new Ethernet chip I might be able to get it working,
otherwise I'll have to bin it...
At least I can get one from Farnell
Cross fingers
73 Allan