From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rick Hall
Sent: 21 April 2019 15:44
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: [SDR-Radio] Satellite tracking 'flip' mode?

Hello Simon,
Do the satellite tracking antenna aiming calculations in SDR Console support a 'flip' mode for satellite passes which cross the end point of the AZ rotor?   Requires a 180 degree EL rotor.   (Similar to 'flip' mode in PstRotator.)
Thanks,  Rick - K5GZR

Rick Hall - K5GZR

Simon,

Thanks for the quick response.   I think the decision to use ‘flip’ mode and do the transformations of already-calculated AZ and EL bearings need to be done in the tracking software, not the rotor controller software+hardware, because only the tracking software knows the full path of the satellite pass and can determine if the path will cross the end-of-rotation heading of the AZ rotor.  The ‘flipped’ AZ and EL would be passed via DDE to the controller software+hardware as normal 0 to 360 azimuths and 0 to 180 elevations and the controller software+hardware would not need to be aware that the tracking is being done in ‘flip’ mode.   I realize that the satellite tracking component is not the prime focus of SDR Radio.   Maybe this is an item for the ‘future enhancements’ list.

73, Rick – K5GZR

Rick,

No. The interface with rotator programs uses DDE, it’s really an issue for the rotator controller I think.

OK,

Added to my list.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

[...]

I am thinking about this now. If I can get a few hours of peace & quiet I’ll see what I can do. I will need the user to define the end stop – usually 180 or 360 degrees. Of course, it makes sense.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

[...]

Graham Shirville <g.shirville@...>

Thank you Simon!
It will be a valuable enhancement for many satellite operators
73
Graham

On Thu, 25 Apr 2019 at 14:41, Simon Brown
<simon@...> wrote:

[...]

wageners@...

Ideally the flip mode would be user enabled/disabled independent of the end point setting. Other programs like MacDoppler (earlier version) automatically initiated flip when the elevation rotor setting was set as 180 degrees and could not be disabled unless the setting was reversed to 90 degrees. If this function is enabled within SDR console a user checkbox could allow to enable or disable it and the elevation setting can be left at 180 for any particular satellite path.

Also, a word of caution, unless carefully planned and executed at the antenna, cables must have enough slack to accommodate both...full 360 or more azimuth and 180 elevation flip mode. Speaking based on bad (destructive) experience.

Thanks Simon, looking forward to it.

Stefan, VE4NSA

Simon Brown

Graham,

I am not 100% sure what the problem is and the correct solution. Can you explain it in simple terms please?

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

[...]

la6gh

Simon,
In my opinion only two checkboxes are required:
Az: Deadspot North (or South)
El: Max. (90 or) 180 deg
Flipmode should always be enabled with a 180 El rotor
when the track crosses the deadspot.

73 de LA6GH
Nils
PS:
BTW I'm SO pleased with the QO-100 beacon tracker, it works beautifully !