2 channel high dynamic range SDR for bandscope use?

Conrad, PA5Y

Hello all.

Currently I have a number of transverters split at the 28MHz IF that I use with a K3S, TS890S and a Perseus.  I am very happy with this arrangement but I would like to monitor 2 more bands simultaneously. What would be the most economical way of achieving this while maintaining the same performance that I have with the Perseus. I did try a Flex 6600 but found it lacking in a number of areas. The Perseus is still a good receiver. Maybe it is better to use 2 single channel units. I have a dual Afedri AFE822x but that is not quite good enough. What is currently available that works really well? It would be even better if I could lock it to 10MHz.

Any suggestions?

Regards

Conrad PA5Y

Simon Brown

Conrad,

Re: prime movers: I use the FDM DUO, am very happy. I drive the Q5 with 0dBm. Am maybe, just maybe thinking about a TS-890s but am not quite that crazy or wealthy.

There will be a new SDR receiver this year (*) offering (low) to 6GHz which will be a very fine performer so you could use this on its own, it will be affordable. Otherwise the Airspy HF+/Discovery is very good due to the high dynamic range which you obviously need due to your loud neighbours.

Which bands do you want to monitor?

{*} I am not saying who is developing this new SDR.

Currently I have a number of transverters split at the 28MHz IF that I use with a K3S, TS890S and a Perseus.  I am very happy with this arrangement but I would like to monitor 2 more bands simultaneously. What would be the most economical way of achieving this while maintaining the same performance that I have with the Perseus. I did try a Flex 6600 but found it lacking in a number of areas. The Perseus is still a good receiver. Maybe it is better to use 2 single channel units. I have a dual Afedri AFE822x but that is not quite good enough. What is currently available that works really well? It would be even better if I could lock it to 10MHz.

Any suggestions?

Regards

Conrad PA5Y

Is that new SDR front end going to be 6 GHz wide? How does it download the data to the computer? Or is it N smaller user definable bands?

{^_^}

On 20210716 03:00:18, Simon Brown wrote:

[...]

Hello Simon.

In most cases I only need to monitor the 28MHz IF from a transverter, however if I could directly monitor 50 and 70MHz that would be very useful. I thought about an S3, I had an FDM Duo but I found that the Perseus was considerably better for strong signal handling so I let it go. I must say that now I have 23cms where dynamic range is hardly an issue I wish that I had kept it. There are times when I would like to keep an eye on 144, 432 and 1296 during tropo openings and big multiband contests. In the summer I am more interested in watching 50, 70 and 144. I admit that these are luxury ‘problems’.

Regards

Conrad PA5Y

Currently I have a number of transverters split at the 28MHz IF that I use with a K3S, TS890S and a Perseus.  I am very happy with this arrangement but I would like to monitor 2 more bands simultaneously. What would be the most economical way of achieving this while maintaining the same performance that I have with the Perseus. I did try a Flex 6600 but found it lacking in a number of areas. The Perseus is still a good receiver. Maybe it is better to use 2 single channel units. I have a dual Afedri AFE822x but that is not quite good enough. What is currently available that works really well? It would be even better if I could lock it to 10MHz.

Any suggestions?

Regards

Conrad PA5Y

n2msqrp

Will it have an Ethernet connection as well as a USB?

Mike N2MS

On 07/16/2021 6:21 AM Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:

From memory, 30 MHz bandwidth. My lips are sealed, I’ve seen the spec. on the bench and it’s more than impressive.

Is that new SDR front end going to be 6 GHz wide? How does it download the data to the computer? Or is it N smaller user definable bands?

{^_^}

_._,_._,_

Wes Stewart

On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 03:00 AM, Simon Brown wrote:

Conrad,

Otherwise the Airspy HF+/Discovery is very good due to the high dynamic range which you obviously need due to your loud neighbours.

That was not my experience.  When I brought up my "discovery" of its shortcomings on their group, I was moderated right off.  I eventually returned it.  I still like my SDR-IQs and have recently purchased a Perseus, although I've not yet gotten comfortable with it.

Eric Inloes

Very interesting. Hopefully around $600 US.

You probably can't tell us how the dynamic range is on it but sounds like it's good :)

I've been eyeing a BladeRF 2.0 but not sure how good it is as an actual receiver as it seems not many use them. Sounds like you WILL need some SMA bandpass filters for it.

Also wish the SDRplay people would build a higher end SDR for like $500-$600 price point with a better chip.

On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 03:21 AM, Simon Brown wrote:

From memory, 30 MHz bandwidth. My lips are sealed, I’ve seen the spec. on the bench and it’s more than impressive.