SDR Colour #poll

Simon Brown

Edited

Almost all SDR hardware is black - I like white, just like the Apple iPods. For new SDRs, which colour do you prefer?

This is a serious question, I cannot say any more.

Results

Dewey

You didn't include "Doesn't matter", but you may have had your reasons... understandable and respectable.

Dewey

On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 1:26 PM Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:

A new poll has been created:

Almost all SDR hardware is black - I like white, just like the Apple iPods. For new SDRs, which colour do you prefer?

This is a serious question, I cannot say any more.

1. White
2. Black
3. Green
4. Blue
5. Red

Vote Now

Edward Clark <edclarkiv1@...>

One vote for “doesn’t matter”. I hide them anyway.

Ed

Sent from my iPhone, apologies for any missed auto corrections and typos!

David J Taylor

A new poll has been created:

Almost all SDR hardware is black - I like white, just like the Apple iPods. For new SDRs, which colour do you prefer?

This is a serious question, I cannot say any more.

1. White
2. Black
3. Green
4. Blue
5. Red

Vote Now
==================================

I'd like to have seen "Silver" on the list, but never mind. I have voted.

73,
David GM8ARV
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk
Twitter: @gm8arv

Simon Brown

Al,

I have added Silver and Any. You can change your vote…

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Almost all SDR hardware is black - I like white, just like the Apple iPods. For new SDRs, which colour do you prefer?

This is a serious question, I cannot say any more.

1. White
2. Black
3. Green
4. Blue
5. Red

Vote Now

Jim Smith G0OFE

I can be lime green with bright pink spots for all I care, if it has 25Mhz bandwidth output and a 20 bit reciever.....

================================
Jim, Bournemouth, Dorset. IO90BR.

On 28/01/2019 19:14, Simon Brown wrote:

Al,

I have added Silver and Any. You can change your vote…

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Almost all SDR hardware is black - I like white, just like the Apple iPods. For new SDRs, which colour do you prefer?

This is a serious question, I cannot say any more.

1. White
2. Black
3. Green
4. Blue
5. Red

Vote Now

Jim Smith G0OFE

"*IT* can be..". etc

================================

On 28/01/2019 19:29, Jim Smith G0OFE wrote:

I can be lime green with bright pink spots for all I care, if it has 25Mhz bandwidth output and a 20 bit reciever.....

================================
Jim, Bournemouth, Dorset. IO90BR.

On 28/01/2019 19:14, Simon Brown wrote:

Al,

I have added Silver and Any. You can change your vote…

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Almost all SDR hardware is black - I like white, just like the Apple iPods. For new SDRs, which colour do you prefer?

This is a serious question, I cannot say any more.

1. White
2. Black
3. Green
4. Blue
5. Red

Vote Now

Ed Pusey

I replied with any color, more in the sense of offering the customer options from which to choose. Black, I think has always been the default color because it hides dirt and does not offend. White is great, but cleanliness (if next to Godliness) is hard to keep. Other colors are likely to offend potential buyers if there is not a series of options from which to choose. A "high end" product should be better able to eat the extra production cost. A "a medium or low ender" might be able to offer white or black. The other colors only matter if one is trying to match colors with the spouse's kitchenaide appliances.

Mike Willis

Edited

A dynamic colour depending on some parameter - say for example a metal case pained with thermochromatic paint.

And remember - vote early and vote often.

Mike

Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU

What no plaid?

KA1GJU

Leif Asbrink

Hello Simon and all,

If you put your SDR in an unpainted aluminium
box it would run much warmer than if you would paint
it with something that is black at infrared frequencies.

Easiest something based on carbon dust which is black at
all frequencies.

The properties of different colours (in the visible range)
may be unexpected in the infrared.

The temperature of an aluminium box might easily be
twice as high as the temperature of the same box when
painted black.

73

Leif

A new poll has been created:

Almost all SDR hardware is black - I like white, just like the Apple iPods. For new SDRs, which colour do you prefer?

This is a serious question, I cannot say any more.

1. White
2. Black
3. Green
4. Blue
5. Red

Vote Now: https://SDR-Radio.groups.io/g/main/vote?pollid=4215

G Hopper

On which face?  I'm assuming the suggestion for painting it black is to enhance the cooling.  Maybe I'm ignorant about thermodynamics (I am rather ignorant of that area) but I would think that the black face would be the one that absorbs the heat, not radiates it.  If that's the case would it be the optimal situation to have the inside black where it absorbs the heat and the outside be what ever is best at re-radiating the heat?  Or does it work the other way around?  Or something entirely different?

How about louvers so there is airflow and convection cooling instead?

73,
Grant
KB7WSD

On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 9:26 PM Leif Asbrink <leif@...> wrote:
Hello Simon and all,

If you put your SDR in an unpainted aluminium
box it would run much warmer than if you would paint
it with something that is black at infrared frequencies.

Easiest something based on carbon dust which is black at
all frequencies.

The properties of different colours (in the visible range)
may be unexpected in the infrared.

The temperature of an aluminium box might easily be
twice as high as the temperature of the same box when
painted black.

73

Leif

> A new poll has been created:
>
> Almost all SDR hardware is black - I like white, just like the Apple iPods. For new SDRs, which colour do you prefer?
>
> This is a serious question, I cannot say any more.
>
> 1. White
> 2. Black
> 3. Green
> 4. Blue
> 5. Red
>
> Vote Now: https://SDR-Radio.groups.io/g/main/vote?pollid=4215

Simon Brown

Leif,

Thanks 😊 . You know about this new project (I will send you a direct e-mail).

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

If you put your SDR in an unpainted aluminium box it would run much warmer than if you would paint it with something that is black at infrared frequencies.

Easiest something based on carbon dust which is black at all frequencies.

The properties of different colours (in the visible range) may be unexpected in the infrared.

The temperature of an aluminium box might easily be twice as high as the temperature of the same box when painted black.

73

Leif

Larry Dodd

I would think the color of paint would be minor unless the SDR is going to be outside in the sun then white would reflect the most sun heating. In any event heat sinks on primary chips and a small fan for ventilation would be the best. In my case with a Lime SDR a small fan and heatsinks work well. Without the fan the heat build up will eventually kill the SDR.
Larry

On Jan 29, 2019, at 12:54 AM, G Hopper <kb7wsd@...> wrote:

On which face?  I'm assuming the suggestion for painting it black is to enhance the cooling.  Maybe I'm ignorant about thermodynamics (I am rather ignorant of that area) but I would think that the black face would be the one that absorbs the heat, not radiates it.  If that's the case would it be the optimal situation to have the inside black where it absorbs the heat and the outside be what ever is best at re-radiating the heat?  Or does it work the other way around?  Or something entirely different?

How about louvers so there is airflow and convection cooling instead?

73,
Grant
KB7WSD

On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 9:26 PM Leif Asbrink <leif@...> wrote:
Hello Simon and all,

If you put your SDR in an unpainted aluminium
box it would run much warmer than if you would paint
it with something that is black at infrared frequencies.

Easiest something based on carbon dust which is black at
all frequencies.

The properties of different colours (in the visible range)
may be unexpected in the infrared.

The temperature of an aluminium box might easily be
twice as high as the temperature of the same box when
painted black.

73

Leif

> A new poll has been created:
>
> Almost all SDR hardware is black - I like white, just like the Apple iPods. For new SDRs, which colour do you prefer?
>
> This is a serious question, I cannot say any more.
>
> 1. White
> 2. Black
> 3. Green
> 4. Blue
> 5. Red
>
> Vote Now: https://SDR-Radio.groups.io/g/main/vote?pollid=4215

Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU

 Simon Brown
12:47am

Leif,
Thanks 😊 . You know about this new project (I will send you a direct e-mail).

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Oh goody, I just love surprises!

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Jerry Lofstead W3CDE

I have been coating the inside of cases in black shoe polish and works great.

Jerry W3CDE

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 3:47 AM Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:
Leif,

Thanks 😊 . You know about this new project (I will send you a direct e-mail).

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

If you put your SDR in an unpainted aluminium box it would run much warmer than if you would paint it with something that is black at infrared frequencies.

Easiest something based on carbon dust which is black at all frequencies.

The properties of different colours (in the visible range) may be unexpected in the infrared.

The temperature of an aluminium box might easily be twice as high as the temperature of the same box when painted black.

73

Leif

Hasan Schiers N0AN

Give me a good NF and IMD and I'll take any color...it's a receiver,  not a piece of art.  ☺

73, N0AN
Hasan

On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 12:55 PM Edward Clark <edclarkiv1@...> wrote:
One vote for “doesn’t matter”.  I hide them anyway.

Ed

, apologies for any missed auto corrections and typos!

Bart AA7VA

My "favorite" color is chrome - so interpret that as any color will do - but all my other radio gear except my Heathkit stuff is black, co count my vote as black.

--
Bart
AA7VA