Ettus No Tx functionality. #ettusb210 #uhd #sdrconsolev3

Erik. M0MWF

Hello there.

I see a grey-ed out Tx area in my SDR Console, MUCH to my chagrin.

How much dog food, measured either in GBP or BTC, might it take for Tx functionality to be added?

Regards.

Erik. M0MWF

4-day bump.

Is this functionality not important to anyone else?

I did some digging, and read that Tx support was promised, around 2yrs ago?

Yet it is not implemented (as far as I can tell).

So what is going on?

Glad I checked BEFORE I donated...

Ray Lyford

Maybe you should be asking Ettus why after paying them so much money you have to go looking for free software to do the " important " stuff.

Regards Ray

Is this functionality not important to anyone else?

I did some digging, and read that Tx support was promised, around 2yrs ago?

Yet it is not implemented (as far as I can tell).

So what is going on?

Glad I checked BEFORE I donated...

I would like to add Ettus transmit support, I have not had time yet.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Is this functionality not important to anyone else?

I did some digging, and read that Tx support was promised, around 2yrs ago?

Yet it is not implemented (as far as I can tell).

So what is going on?

Glad I checked BEFORE I donated...

Erik. M0MWF

Ray,

As for the expense - yup - you got me there, cannot argue that. But of course I CAN tx it via the command line, GNU etc, which I think you know, but as you imply, who wants to do that all the time? Why wouldn't Ettus pull their finger out & work on the ExtIO.dll some more?

So yes, I am feeling buyers remorse, I do admit that. If I believed Ettus would lift a finger for me, I'd write them.

Not just because of this Tx issue (which incidentally exists on HDSDR - extio.dll doesn't support TX, and SDR# won't even 'see' the B210, no matter what I try, whist the RTL starts up just fine), but I feel buyers remorse because one bloody site somewhere (long forgotten which), listed the ADC as 16 bit, and the DAC as 14 bit, which I now know to be not true, and is the config of the N2xx, not the B2xx series. The B2xx's are 12 bit ADC / DACs. So to add to all the above - I bought in error also. I would not have knowingly bought a 12 bit ADC, and wish I had paid extra for the N210 I nearly had my hands on. My mistake. I have yet to see an N210 come up on Fleabay with a UBX fitted either. It seems people are holding them close to their chest (for good reason I suppose, DC-6GHz).

But I don't feel Ettus care about we little people, or they would have acted on this sooner...

Peace,

Me.

Erik. M0MWF

Hi Simon,

Sorry if I sound like a spoilt brat, but I'm really an easy-going person, and I guess my frustration is showing, my apologies. (Also, please see my comment on 'buyers remorse' above).

I understand we can all be very busy, and with the skill you have displayed thus far, I bet you are going to busy for years to come.

However, if you can say with any certainty that Tx support will be added during 2019, I shan't dump my Ettus products.

All the best,

Erik.

Terry_G0EZY

Also looking forward to the Tx capability for an N210 + UBX40. The Rx works well in SDR-Radio, although it would benefit from an option to enable the external 10 MHz reference - the internal reference locking tends to jump 10s of Hz which is annoying.

For Tx/Rx have a look at SoDaRadio: https://kb1vc.github.io/SoDaRadio/  this works well for my system and will provides multimode Tx/Rx up to 6 GHz. it also enables the 10 MHz external reference which overcomes the frequency jumps I get in SDR-Radio. The N200 and B200 platforms are supported.

The Ubuntu-Linux installation wasn't too painful even for a Linux novice like me. KB1VC has put a lot of effort into simplifying the installation procedures.

73 Terry G0EZY

Erik. M0MWF

Hi Terry,

And thanks very much for that.

I had briefly looked at SoDaRadio, and didn't think to check transmit functionality... doh and lol.

As for your timing issue, you don't have the OXCO or TXCO for your N210? I bought the TXCO for my B210, and plugged it straight in. Nothing else to do.

So jealous of your UBX40, DC to 6GHz. I've been playing with my RTL E4000 & B210 ALL DAY, built a long-wire, added to NooElec Balun, and been swapping and checking distant stations against each other, and then stuck the 'Spyverter v2' on them both - it works! Though I've no idea where in the MF/HF band I am, each station I look up seems to have multiple countries & freqs & times to broadcast from. Thinking about using UHD console to send a known MF/HF signal through a 30dB attenuator so I don't upset anybody, and receive it with the RTL / Spyverter v2 combo, and then set an offset. I realize you got this from DC all the way... even the newer devices from Ettus are doing 10MHz to 6GHz now. How disappointing. Hold on to that toy you have there.

Though the RTL is NO MATCH for the B210 for weak stations... but what the RTL does have - is offset turning... I like how HDSDR can have that offset, it really helps.

Spent some time looking at the FPGA & Vivado suit (online) - wow, some learning to do there...

If anyone would like my random IQ data from across SE Asia, let me know, and I might setup a dropbox etc, and label them by place / predominate use of said freqs...

But they are BIG files... especially the 28MHz dumps. You will need and SSD RAID just to load those... The 14MHz ones will save / load on a single SSD. All 16 bit dumps.

I got Bangkok, Singapore, Phuket so far, CB 245MHz, Fishing boats (and more) 26MHz, BFM, Police, and 2m Ham.

If anyone wants 'em, let me know.

Peace. Time to hit the bars.