Es'Hail 2

Simon Brown

paul newcombe <G6YZC@...>

I am really looking forward to trying to rx this sat. My 10ghz dish has a 0.5 degree beamwidth so it will be great practice for aligning the dish and setting the tracking for 10ghz eme.

Paul N2EME

N2EME

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> on behalf of Simon Brown <simon@...>
Sent: Saturday, November 17, 2018 12:19:43 PM
To: SDR-Radio@groups.io
Subject: [SDR-Radio] Es'Hail 2

Dave & Toni Bell

Where are you, Paul? I don’t think Es’Hail-2 will cover North America at all. Closest looks like eastern edge of Brazil. 

Dave

On Nov 17, 2018, at 9:44 AM, paul newcombe <G6YZC@...> wrote:

I am really looking forward to trying to rx this sat. My 10ghz dish has a 0.5 degree beamwidth so it will be great practice for aligning the dish and setting the tracking for 10ghz eme.

Paul N2EME

N2EME

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> on behalf of Simon Brown <simon@...>

Barry Baines

Paul:

On Nov 17, 2018, at 12:44 PM, paul newcombe <G6YZC@...> wrote:

This new amateur transponder will be positioned over the Middle East as it is incorporated in a Qatar satellite.  Except for an area in Eastern Brazil, my understanding is that the satellite’s footprint won’t reach the Americas.

FWIW,

Barry WD4ASW
(Currently in Boston, MA)

Paul N2EME 

N2EME

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> on behalf of Simon Brown <simon@...>
Sent: Saturday, November 17, 2018 12:19:43 PM
To: SDR-Radio@groups.io
Subject: [SDR-Radio] Es'Hail 2

Rr Dave I think you are correct. I am in boston

N2EME

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> on behalf of Dave & Toni Bell <dbell@...>
Sent: Saturday, November 17, 2018 12:55:38 PM
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Es'Hail 2

Where are you, Paul? I don’t think Es’Hail-2 will cover North America at all. Closest looks like eastern edge of Brazil. 

Dave

Paul N2EME

N2EME

Simon Brown

If only you knew someone with a server in the footprint…

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of paul newcombe
Sent: 17 November 2018 17:58
To: main@sdr-radio.groups.io

N2EME

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> on behalf of Dave & Toni Bell <dbell@...>

Dave

Paul N2EME

N2EME

wageners@...

Oh yes,

What a  wonderful thought...:-)  making the RX available around the world..wonder who would be willing to do that???? :-)
I bet there is a generous sole somewhere on a big island.. :-)

Thanks so much!

Stefan, VE4NSA

On Sat, Nov 17, 2018 at 12:04 PM Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of paul newcombe

N2EME

Dave

Paul N2EME

N2EME

For those of you lucky enough to be withing its footprint at least RXing the 10GHz downlink will be easy. Unless I screwed my reading of this up too and 10GHz is not the downlink :)

A simple dish, a KSC321S-2  Ku band LNBF  ($10 on Ebay)and say a 0.5ppm RTL from Nooelec ($25 on Ebay) is good enough to RX the 10GHz beacon off the moon so I would expect that it will be good enough for Es'Hail 2. There are several videos/web pages out there on this. Including one from AmSat UK.

Alas as was pointed out to me I cannot read and will not be in the footprint so I will not be able to try this out for myself.....

I look forward to hearing your results be it only secondhand.

Paul N2EME

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> on behalf of wageners@... <wageners@...>
Sent: Saturday, November 17, 2018 1:10 PM

Oh yes,

What a  wonderful thought...:-)  making the RX available around the world..wonder who would be willing to do that???? :-)

Thanks so much!

Stefan, VE4NSA

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

N2EME

Dave

Paul N2EME

N2EME

david price

My understanding  is that Amsat UK are going to be installing a receiver setup at Goonhilly Earth Station in Cornwall configured as a websdr so that people can listen to the narrowband multi mode amateur use transponder downlink of the satellite anywhere in the world . 
This link is to a paper which provides useful info on the Es’ Hailsat amateur payload and the design of an S- Band Tx  / X- Band Rx multi band coaxial feed to use with a suitability sized dish to operate to it ( if you are in the footprint ) 

Regards 
Dave Price 
G4MSA/ PA4MSA 

On 18 Nov 2018, at 07:11, paul newcombe <G6YZC@...> wrote:

For those of you lucky enough to be withing its footprint at least RXing the 10GHz downlink will be easy. Unless I screwed my reading of this up too and 10GHz is not the downlink :)

A simple dish, a KSC321S-2  Ku band LNBF  ($10 on Ebay)and say a 0.5ppm RTL from Nooelec ($25 on Ebay) is good enough to RX the 10GHz beacon off the moon so I would expect that it will be good enough for Es'Hail 2. There are several videos/web pages out there on this. Including one from AmSat UK.

Alas as was pointed out to me I cannot read and will not be in the footprint so I will not be able to try this out for myself.....

Paul N2EME

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> on behalf of wageners@... <wageners@...>

Oh yes,

Thanks so much!

Stefan, VE4NSA

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

N2EME

Dave

Paul N2EME

N2EME

Simon Brown

Paul,

I’ll be using a LNB on Amazon which should do the job, the SDR will probably be either a Lime or bladeRF2. I can make the receiver available for you via a V3 server, so you’ll be able to listen to the QSOs. I’ll not invest in the transmit side until I (we) know that the satellite is being used sensible. Given the footprint it could become a free for all, but let’s see.

My transmit plans include either a 2.4m or 3m dish…

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Sent: 18 November 2018 12:12

Paul N2EME

Oh yes,

Thanks so much!

Stefan, VE4NSA

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

N2EME

Dave

Paul N2EME

N2EME

Hi Simon,

I will certainly work out how to log into your server. A part of SDRC that I have yet to try. 

My hope is that Es' Hail2 actually gets used more than worrying that it will get abused.
Although the RX side of it looks very easy and a great SDR RX project the TX side will be a little more work and not an off the shelf black box set up.
I just hope there is enough TX to encourage the RX guys to build their own TX's.
Remember that the 10GHz RX you build should also work for 10GHz EME RX on the beacon and some of the larger stations.

Nice on your dish. Being fixed it will take an awful lot of the mounting problems away as you have no need to give it AZ or ELE. Although if you did then I guess you would be on the moon with it as well.

I look forward to learning how to use the server side of SDRC and obviously am watching both Anan and Lime TX progress from the sidelines.

Thank you once again.

Paul N2EME 

Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2018 4:38 PM

Paul,

I’ll be using a LNB on Amazon which should do the job, the SDR will probably be either a Lime or bladeRF2. I can make the receiver available for you via a V3 server, so you’ll be able to listen to the QSOs. I’ll not invest in the transmit side until I (we) know that the satellite is being used sensible. Given the footprint it could become a free for all, but let’s see.

My transmit plans include either a 2.4m or 3m dish…

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Sent: 18 November 2018 12:12

Paul N2EME

Oh yes,

Thanks so much!

Stefan, VE4NSA

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

N2EME

Dave

Paul N2EME

N2EME