Nvidia cards in an older pc

Norm n3ykf <normanlizeth@...>

Simon,

Thanks for the tip. Considering a video card simply because it can be
transplanted into a new machine. The old pc has new ssd's and a new ps
(1Kw). Have been keeping up as things get too obsolete. If I stay with
the ATX form factor, it is just swapping out mobos. All of the rest is
there and up to snuff.

Have been looking at the NUCs. Upside is that it can go on the road
with me. Some are designed with power footprints that would allow a
reasonable run time on a battery pack. (something that you'd get on an
airplane) The down side is one thing blows up, it goes in the trash.
Upside of a pc in a box is that there are ways to "fix" or work around
failed components on the mobo. The ATX form factor has oodles of
space.

Software (V3) is waaaayy nice. Still figuring out how to use it.
Getting ready to read the manual. Like to get some hands on
familiarity prior to. Otherwise I feel like a dog watching TV.

Norm n3ykf

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 1:16 AM Simon Brown <simon@...> wrote:

Norm,

That Q6600 is a very nice (was a very nice) CPU, I have one in an old laptop. Sadly the architecture is now old, I would keep it as a 'play' computer and put something else together. Even if you get better performance the CPU could turn up its toes at any time.

Any video card will help as it will improve the graphics response, just make sure it supports Direct-X 10, 11 or 12. I don't see the Direct-X support for this card.

To be honest, a new PC should be on your Xmas wish-list.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com