Distorted audio after changing frequencies

Simon Brown

Hi,

If the normal speakers are OK and not the Jabra then I don’t think there’s anything I can do for now. Wait for 3.0.4 with new audio logic, we’ll take it from there.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of k6msm@...
Sent: 03 October 2018 16:51
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Distorted audio after changing frequencies

Sorry, I didn't have any earbuds or headphones at the office.

I grabbed some from home and the distortion is gone with them.

So, this confirms that it's the Jabra and the way it interacts with the SDRC favorites.

Let me know if you want me to do anything else to troubleshoot with the Jabra or if you prefer that I live with it on that headset.  Since I have narrowed it down at least I can work around it.

Thanks,

Mike
K6MSM

k6msm@...

Sorry, I didn't have any earbuds or headphones at the office.

I grabbed some from home and the distortion is gone with them.

So, this confirms that it's the Jabra and the way it interacts with the SDRC favorites.

Let me know if you want me to do anything else to troubleshoot with the Jabra or if you prefer that I live with it on that headset.  Since I have narrowed it down at least I can work around it.

Thanks,

Mike
K6MSM

Simon Brown

Mike,

I asked you whether audio was distorted with the default PC speakers.

?

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of k6msm@...
Sent: 03 October 2018 00:44

Hi Simon,

I should add that this problem only occurs when changing frequencies with the favorites.  If I change it on RX 1 in the upper left, or by clicking on the waterfall, it's fine.  Well, it's fine as long as it's not distorted already.  If it is, clicking on the waterfall or the dial doesn't fix it.  The RBDS decode is good regardless.

Log attached.

Let me find some old style speakers or earbuds to try.

Mike
K6MSM

k6msm@...

Hi Simon,

I should add that this problem only occurs when changing frequencies with the favorites.  If I change it on RX 1 in the upper left, or by clicking on the waterfall, it's fine.  Well, it's fine as long as it's not distorted already.  If it is, clicking on the waterfall or the dial doesn't fix it.  The RBDS decode is good regardless.

Log attached.

Let me find some old style speakers or earbuds to try.

Mike
K6MSM

Simon Brown

Hi,

What happens when you use the normal PC speakers?

Show me the logfile from this PC please.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Sent: 02 October 2018 20:56

Ok, I built a new office computer from scratch and still have the same problem.  Since everything else has changed it must be the Jabra headset driver not getting alone with SDR Console.

Do you want to look at this further, Simon?  Or should I just get a new sound system?  Maybe I can try BlueTooth.

Thanks,

Mike
K6MSM

k6msm@...

Ok, I built a new office computer from scratch and still have the same problem.  Since everything else has changed it must be the Jabra headset driver not getting alone with SDR Console.

Do you want to look at this further, Simon?  Or should I just get a new sound system?  Maybe I can try BlueTooth.

Thanks,

Mike
K6MSM

k6msm@...

Attached local SDR cap and log.

Mike
K6MSM

Simon Brown

Hi,

Looking at this now, can reproduce an issue. Looks like it’s inside my own HF+ support code.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Sent: 26 September 2018 20:07

Hi Simon,

FYI, it happens on a local SDR as well, so it's probably not a Server specific issue.

Here's the DXDiag screen I saw on another thread that might be helpful.

No problem.  This is not a critical issue.

Mike
K6MSM

Simon Brown

OK,

Show me a screenshot using the local SDR please.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Sent: 26 September 2018 20:07

Hi Simon,

FYI, it happens on a local SDR as well, so it's probably not a Server specific issue.

Mike
K6MSM

k6msm@...

Hi Simon,

Mike
K6MSM

Simon Brown

Hi,

This will have to wait. I will add more server diagnostics.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Sent: 25 September 2018 23:50

Thanks, Simon.

Some additional comments.

1. The breaks in the waterfall are from changing frequencies and changing back.  So that's ok, but the problem occurs about 50% of the time when I change frequencies.
  2. It happens on Narrow FM as well.  See attached.

Does it not like Jabra headsets (even though it's ok for everything else on this computer).  I tried updating the driver, but Windows said there isn't one and I didn't find one.

Mike
K6MSM

k6msm@...

Thanks, Simon.

Some additional comments.

1. The breaks in the waterfall are from changing frequencies and changing back.  So that's ok, but the problem occurs about 50% of the time when I change frequencies.
  2. It happens on Narrow FM as well.  See attached.
Does it not like Jabra headsets (even though it's ok for everything else on this computer).  I tried updating the driver, but Windows said there isn't one and I didn't find one.

Mike
K6MSM

Simon Brown

Mike,

That really helps.

1. I see the bandwidth is 125kHz, what’s happening inside is the code is upsampling twice to 500 kHz so it can then demodulate using 350kHz. This upsampling should not be a problem.
  2. At 125kHz you will may be using more network bandwidth than the server can stream reliably.
  3. I see breaks in the waterfall, this is probably related to your issue. I’ll get to this soon.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Sent: 25 September 2018 01:23

Hi Simon,

I use portrait mode at work, normally.  Here's a widescreen cap.  If you mean something else, let me know.

Thanks,

Mike
K6MSM

k6msm@...

Hi Simon,

I use portrait mode at work, normally.  Here's a widescreen cap.  If you mean something else, let me know.

Thanks,

Mike
K6MSM

Simon Brown

Please attach a *full screen* screenshot.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Sent: 24 September 2018 16:55

I loaded the newest version and it didn't help.

Here's another cap and the log file.

Thanks

Mike
K6MSM

k6msm@...

I loaded the newest version and it didn't help.

Here's another cap and the log file.

Thanks

Mike
K6MSM

Simon Brown

The one thing you haven’t shown is the console – it’s obscured .

One nice big console screenshot please, and *don’t* forget the logfile.

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

Sent: 21 September 2018 21:36
Subject: [SDR-Radio] Distorted audio after changing frequencies

I still have this problem on my office computer.  Some symptoms:

• It's ok when SDR-C is first started.
  • But when I change frequencies, the audio becomes low and it's just static, but not pure white-noise noise but distorted static.
  • I'd record it, but the recordings are fine.  Good audio on those, just not while listening to it live.
  • Changing frequencies a few more times sometimes clears it.
  • Seems isolated to this work computer, so I'm thinking the driver (but there's no updates) or this headset.
  • It's also isolated to SDR Console.  Server or local SDRs.  Other SDR programs, Spotify and my VOIP are ok.
  • The waterfall doesn't change, but the received audio spectrum is just a relatively constant flow compared to good audio.
  • Some pics attached.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike
K6MSM

k6msm@...

I still have this problem on my office computer.  Some symptoms:

• It's ok when SDR-C is first started.
  • But when I change frequencies, the audio becomes low and it's just static, but not pure white-noise noise but distorted static.
  • I'd record it, but the recordings are fine.  Good audio on those, just not while listening to it live.
  • Changing frequencies a few more times sometimes clears it.
  • Seems isolated to this work computer, so I'm thinking the driver (but there's no updates) or this headset.
  • It's also isolated to SDR Console.  Server or local SDRs.  Other SDR programs, Spotify and my VOIP are ok.
  • The waterfall doesn't change, but the received audio spectrum is just a relatively constant flow compared to good audio.
  • Some pics attached.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike
K6MSM