Screen freezes - broadband noise? #airspyhfplus

Jim T

Hi Simon,

further to my previous comment on screen freezes coinciding with noise splashes, here are a couple of screenshots from this morning.  Both are on 2m the one is looking at a very narrow chunk of spectrum and the other is pretty much max spectrum from the HF+

Both are immediately following a screen freeze.

I can sometimes go for days without the noise splashes and then I get periods like now where they are very frequent.  No pattern to them just random appearances.

This is with the Apr 22 Beta 2 release.
System is:
Win 10 build 16299
i7-6700K CPU running at 4GHz
16GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX760

Connection is via one of the MoBo USB3 ports

Cheers

Jim
gm4cxf

Kriss Kliegle KA1GJU

Jim,
He'll need the logfile as an attachment more than likely to analyze the problem. Also, send the pixs as an attachments too, so he can see the finer detail of settings, etc.

I'm just saving you and Simon the time between email exchanges. LOL
BTW, he posted earlier that he's working on another project and will be away from SDRC until Monday. So it may be a while before he gets back to you.

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Simon Brown

Kriss,

Thanks. Quick question about the freeze – if the whole display stops then it looks like the HF+ has stopped delivering data. Can you stop/start the radio and recover?

Simon Brown, G4ELI
www.sdr-radio.com

From: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io <main@SDR-Radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kriss Kliegle
Sent: 11 May 2018 12:14
To: main@SDR-Radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SDR-Radio] Screen freezes - broadband noise? #airspyhfplus

Jim,
He'll need the logfile as an attachment more than likely to analyze the problem. Also, send the pixs as an attachments too, so he can see the finer detail of settings, etc.

I'm just saving you and Simon the time between email exchanges. LOL
BTW, he posted earlier that he's working on another project and will be away from SDRC until Monday. So it may be a while before he gets back to you.

73 Kriss KA1GJU

Stu C <stu@...>

Hi Jim,

how well is your antenna and station grounded (at RF)?
Trying to think through ways this could happen...
It does indeed look like some serious noise is happening just before the issue (USB timing disrupted perhaps?).
Ecoflex15 with a chimney mounted antenna must prove a nice high current path for static, RF or mains borne impulses.

One of them looks like a spin-up, motor (heating, or freezer compressor etc.) any large cold rooms near you? Old style fluorescents in the shed etc. First off I'd go round the house ensuring all mains plugs/leads are fully in and even do a quick visual PAT inspection for tight terminals.
Managing what happens when the USB is disrupted is probably a hard task as it is subject to the driver, OS and software together, if you could limit the pick up area or ground out the induced current the issue may go away.
Do I assume you have a wired network too or other long wires (pun intended) feeding back into the computer?

Sorry for all the questions, this gets my "sleuthing" head going.

Regards
Stu

On 11/05/2018 11:49, Jim T wrote:
Hi Simon,

further to my previous comment on screen freezes coinciding with noise splashes, here are a couple of screenshots from this morning.  Both are on 2m the one is looking at a very narrow chunk of spectrum and the other is pretty much max spectrum from the HF+

Both are immediately following a screen freeze.

I can sometimes go for days without the noise splashes and then I get periods like now where they are very frequent.  No pattern to them just random appearances.

This is with the Apr 22 Beta 2 release.
System is:
Win 10 build 16299
i7-6700K CPU running at 4GHz
16GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX760

Connection is via one of the MoBo USB3 ports

Cheers

Jim
gm4cxf

Attachments:

* Screenshot_2018_05_11_112939.png
<https://SDR-Radio.groups.io/g/main/attachment/40903/0>
* Screenshot_2018_05_11_113143.png
<https://SDR-Radio.groups.io/g/main/attachment/40903/1>

Jim T

Thanks for the responses folks.

Kriss - that's all noted.  I'll keep an eye out for any further freezes and attach images plus logfiles.

Simon - yes, I can restart the console display by just clicking on the stop icon then the play icon.  No need to disconnect and re-connect the HF+

Stu - my professional background is in comms, navaids & radar systems and I pay a lot of attention to having a good signal earth and ensuring all other connections are good.  The intermittent nature of this interference is a pain because I can't seem to identify anything that might lead to its appearance.

We're in a very much residential area with good space around us (a 1960s estate before they started shoe-horning houses into every available inch of space), and only a couple of the neighbours have any roof mounted solar PV installations.  I've even had a wander around the streets too, to see if I can hear anyone with an urge to use power tools for several hours at a time, nothing. Our domestic appliances have all been sequentially disconnected, again nothing obvious.  We don't have any fluorescent lighting, a couple of light dimmers and a couple of LED lighting fittings, again, all checked out.

It's not a huge issue for me at the moment in terms of restricting operating time, because I haven't really been active for quite a few years and I'm just getting back into the habit of listening and playing with data modes.  I'm more concerned that there's something causing Simon's software to freeze - I wouldn't call it a "crash" because functionally it's fine after a "stop" and "play".

Again, thanks for the replies folks and apologies for the slow response.  The installation is in the home office and I leave it running in the background during the day and so not really paying attention at weekends.

Cheers

Jim